What are your thoughts on the new TLE server details?

Moxjet75

I don't remember if there was still equipment con in 2006 or not, but I wish it would go back that way. Where even con items were white, strong items were yellow and orange and weaker ones blue and green
I think I remember this... but I didn't like later in game updates is stats like strength having + 1,462 agility just a crazy direction.

But I guess this evolved because people complained?

Arandar

I don't remember if there was still equipment con in 2006 or not, but I wish it would go back that way. Where even con items were white, strong items were yellow and orange and weaker ones blue and green

There wasn't, that system was removed with the Desert of Flames expansion in 2005. They removed item scaling and the con system to what we have now (grey items being ineffective, white usable and red unusable).

Arandar

Yeah it's based on live, like past TLE servers, but hopefully will have more effort put towards making it era correct.

I think "based on live" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there and implies something that they're saying isn't the case. Yes, it will be integrated with current backend systems; but it's not going to have the current live combat mechanics, spells, stats, resistances, mob difficulty, quests, zones (particularly city zones, but also won't include changes to made to overland zones with Velious), travel, and art assets. If they're using GU24 or thereabouts as a reference point, it probably won't even have the same UI because there are item slots which exist now which didn't then. But if you consider that "based on live", then okay, I guess.

Belthyr

I think "based on live" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there and implies something that they're saying isn't the case. Yes, it will be integrated with current backend systems; but it's not going to have the current live combat mechanics, spells, stats, resistances, mob difficulty, quests, zones (particularly city zones, but also won't include changes to made to overland zones with Velious), travel, and art assets. If they're using GU24 or thereabouts as a reference point, it probably won't even have the same UI because there are item slots which exist now which didn't then. But if you consider that "based on live", then okay, I guess.
We have very little info from the devs as this point, if anyone is doing any heavy lifting it's the people assuming we're going to get a WoW Classic-esque experience lol.

Arandar

Unless you're going to argue that Kander and Caith were being intentionally deceptive, it's what they've been saying. Items with their original stats, the stats will matter (i.e.: not just a cosmetic change to tooltips), spells, combat arts and combat mechanics will be from that era, zones and zone art will be returned to what they were in 2006. They didn't go into intricate detail, but made it pretty clear what was in and what was out.

Ultimately, the proof will be in the pudding and we'll see in a few weeks. But I'm willing to take them at their word and that they're making a good-faith effort to do exactly what they talked about when it was announced.

Nuhvohk

Unless you're going to argue that Kander and Caith were being intentionally deceptive, it's what they've been saying. Items with their original stats, the stats will matter (i.e.: not just a cosmetic change to tooltips), spells, combat arts and combat mechanics will be from that era, zones and zone art will be returned to what they were in 2006. They didn't go into intricate detail, but made it pretty clear what was in and what was out.

Ultimately, the proof will be in the pudding and we'll see in a few weeks. But I'm willing to take them at their word and that they're making a good-faith effort to do exactly what they talked about when it was announced.
I don't think anyone's assuming intentional deceit, but rather tempering their expectations. Under-delivering is not uncommon with EQ2 nowadays, and sometimes it does seem like there's a discrepancy between what the devs think they're saying, and what the playerbase interprets as them saying. I can't speak for the live servers, but TLE has had a tumultuous history of communication issues between the staff and the players. Ultimately, we'll see what we get with the Beta. Everything until then is just speculation.

I'm cautiously optimistic myself, but trying not to let the hype get ahead of realistic expectations.

Yeah it's based on live, like past TLE servers, but hopefully will have more effort put towards making it era correct.
It's easy to get caught up on the whole "code is being shared" thing and assume then that means it'll just be a modified version of Live. Code, in this context, can be a pretty vague term, though. The client and the server, that is, the binary executables are going to be similar for the most part. There are backend systems that need to be integrated, libraries that have long since been updated, and many things as far as that is concerned, that it makes perfect sense that it would be shared. None of those will necessarily have an impact on gameplay, and the footprint of that code I think would be surprisingly small to a lot of people. The bulk of everything, that is, the actual mechanics, assets, and things such as quest scripting and itemization, are data- and script-driven. It is not unreasonable to think that someone decided to try to adapt those to the modern client, and actually made it work. As someone who's worked on legacy codebases in the past, I can certainly understand why for the longest time their attitude was "nope, it's gone, not gonna happen". I wouldn't be surprised if someone had started work on this in their spare time though, much like how WoW Classic started.

Anyway, as I say, if we take this at face value, I'm pretty stoked at the concept. I can't wait to see all the complaining about all of the QoL changes that won't exist in it.

Leibnitz

spells, combat arts and combat mechanics will be from that era
I don't think they have said this. Except insofar as mobs will have their original packages, so, for mobs yes.
The only zones they seem to have discussed as being different are the neighbourhood zones in the starter cities.

But, they have repeatedly said, "it's 2006" which could mean any number of things so I guess we'll see :)

Arandar

I don't think they have said this. Except insofar as mobs will have their original packages, so, for mobs yes.

There wasn't any detail beyond individual stats will matter, and spells will be their original versions. For the old stat system to matter, it would require they use the old combat mechanics. The exact quote was "all stats do something, like they used to". He then went on to talk about there being no potency or crit, and blue stats "start much later". I guess theoretically they could have come up with some way to use the modern combat system with the old stat system shoehorned in there, but that seems like more work than just using the code from the same era.

As far as noticeable changes to zones, Freeport and Qeynos would be the big ones. But using the zone art / maps of that era would change other zones in some ways. For example, no ability to run up the mountain sides in Lavastorm or jump over the hills in Nek Forest. Those were changes to the zone geometry that was done around the time of Velious to accommodate flying in those zones. Visually, I doubt there will be many changes in that regard other than the absence of things that were added later (think the large dragon statue in the Commonlands, that sort of thing).

Last edited:
There wasn't any detail beyond individual stats will matter, and spells will be their original versions. For the old stat system to matter, it would require they use the old combat mechanics. The exact quote was "all stats do something, like they used to". He then went on to talk about there being no potency or crit, and blue stats "start much later". I guess theoretically they could have come up with some way to use the modern combat system with the old stat system shoehorned in there, but that seems like more work than just using the code from the same era.

As far as noticeable changes to zones, Freeport and Qeynos would be the big ones. But using the zone art / maps of that era would change other zones in some ways. For example, no ability to run up the mountain sides in Lavastorm or jump over the hills in Nek Forest. Those were changes to the zone geometry that was done around the time of Velious to accommodate flying in those zones. Visually, I doubt there will be many changes in that regard other than the absence of things that were added later (think the large dragon statue in the Commonlands, that sort of thing).
My guess is they got the data from back then, and shoehorned it into a modern client. I don't know what their source control was like back in the day, but it's not unreasonable to think that someone could have done a restore, tried to run it, and then basically played around with it until it ran. I have to imagine it was a lot of work, but I'd love to know (though I guess I will never get an answer from the devs on that).

Either way, it's going to be interesting watching people realize there are no shortcuts to anywhere. Presumably no spires, no druid rings. Are we gonna have to wait for a boat to travel? Are we going to have to kill a bunch of placehlolders for several hours to get a named for an HQ again?

Arandar

Either way, it's going to be interesting watching people realize there are no shortcuts to anywhere. Presumably no spires, no druid rings. Are we gonna have to wait for a boat to travel? Are we going to have to kill a bunch of placehlolders for several hours to get a named for an HQ again?

There were no portal trainers until GU29 (EoF). I think by that time you could buy a ticket to the docks for something like 60sp. Otherwise, yeah, put on your running shoes. And if they're using the same mobs / scripts from that era, then expect to spend some real quality time in RoV competing for spawns for Weavemaster, Tome of Life and Death, etc., camping named in Obelisk to get inside and down to the lower levels, etc.

Bring snacks.

There were no portal trainers until GU29 (EoF). I think by that time you could buy a ticket to the docks for something like 60sp. Otherwise, yeah, put on your running shoes. And if they're using the same mobs / scripts from that era, then expect to spend some real quality time in RoV competing for spawns for Weavemaster, Tome of Life and Death, etc., camping named in Obelisk to get inside and down to the lower levels, etc.

Bring snacks.
Gonna be fun camping chomper.

Nuhvohk

Looking forward to Lavastorm lava instantly killing you again.

Yeah, lava really needs to always kill you!
I'm curious to know how much work you needed to put in for this, as an animator, and as a designer. I realize as old content it probably doesn't really come on your radar as much, but did you have much input?

Edit: Not intended to be a gotcha or anything, I am genuinely interested.

Last edited:

Doublefantasy73

Had to dig out my prima guide book and you are correct on the kerra being both factions.
Did the Same 🤣🤣🤣

And notebooks of notes I still haf from when I used to dual box varsoons and nek castle tanking a swash and a defiler. Had to do it when the mobs were bottom green, but I was proud of it. Doubt I'll be able to do varsoons, it'll be too packed