What are your thoughts on the new TLE server details?

Xeshaka

It is time to talk about the new TLE server. When last I spoke of it, I explained it is not like any TLE’s before it, and now I will explain why.

This new server will be called the Origins Server, and it will take you way back to old school EverQuest II from back in 2006! We'll start in The Shattered Lands era (no expansions unlocked), and you’ll get to experience the look and challenge of the classic world of Norrath. The seas have calmed enough for sea faring to resume, and you are plucked from the waters by none other than Captain Varlos. Soon you will find yourself on an island and then given passage to your racial neighborhoods in Qeynos or Freeport. Systems will seem less complex, stats and gameplay will be reflective of the 2006 era, and there will be more focus on grouping with that old school MMO feel! If you did not have the chance to play back then, or just want to revisit for nostalgia, then this server will be on your list to play. Beta will begin on May 2, 2024.
sauce: https://www.everquest2.com/news/eq2-producers-letter-04032024

Mesander

It depends if there is the original crafting , access quests , itemization , removal of hunter's. There is a lot of if's involved.
THIS ^^^ Especially Hunter's. Heck simply getting rid of Hunter's is a huge step in the right direction. I also agree with the crafting and access quests. I just hope Daybreak can do it. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Malvolio

I play all TLEs but I find the producers letter's claim curious as all things described have existed in the previous TLEs. It took them a while to put the race hamlets back in but even then the zones had no content.

Picking 2006 over 2004 does indicate some changes but a lot happened in 2006. Subclasses got cut in Feb 2006 and the crafting overhaul was June 2006.

!edit I stand corrected I found Kander's posts mentioned by @Siren some highlights are
  • A lot of actual 2006 code on its own codebase design wise its not linked to Live but security/framework is newer
  • Old Stats (Gear and Enemies)
  • Old quests are back
  • No new races/classes
  • No subcombines in crafting (post overhaul)
  • No subclasses
  • No weight
  • No battlegrounds
  • Yes to limited marketplace
  • No overseer
  • Not free trade
  • No spell research

Last edited:

Krov

Mesander

I play all TLEs but I find the producers letter's claim curious as all things described have existed in the previous TLEs. It took them a while to put the race hamlets back in but even then the zones had no content.

Picking 2006 over 2004 does indicate some changes but a lot happened in 2006. Subclasses got cut in Feb 2006 and the crafting overhaul was June 2006.
I'm ok with the crafting overhaul. The sub-combines made crafting a little too granular. I know friends personally that quit the game because of it. They stated it made the game like a second job lol...

Krov

I'm ok with the crafting overhaul. The sub-combines made crafting a little too granular. I know friends personally that quit the game because of it. They stated it made the game like a second job lol...

If it's based right after the crafting changes , that is acceptable IMO.

The major issue is going to be itemization , "cons" of heroic encounters and epic x 4s , access quests , how unlocks are going to happen ie Splitpaw / Bloodline etc are handled.

This is not to even mention future expansions , just because there placing it on test does not mean it will be tuned or issues addressed.
This has been a ongoing issue since the start of TLPs in EQ2 , so it's not like my criticism is unfounded.

There history proves them unable to handle this scope of a project. I hope , I am proven wrong.

I have hopes , but once again I am pessimistic and refuse to just fanboy.

I am from the show me state , talk is cheap.

Proto12

It sounds like in practice, this is going to be a totally different game from the perspective of Daybreak, and it would/will need actual support and attention if it's going to have a playerbase that grows. I really hope it gets that attention because this was what the original TLE hype train was all about all those years ago.

Ryni

Bard since 2004
My motto is prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Really hope I am pleasantly surprised this time around. With it being so different from any previous TLE and that long of a beta here is to hoping changes that need to be made get done before it launches. I will definitely get on the beta and post any issues, bugs, etc. The more of us that help test the better information they have to really get the Origin server in a good spot for launch.

Malvolio

Honestly the producer's letter undersold it. Touted that it was all new but everything that followed sounded like all 6 previous TLEs. Had he just dropped the separate codebase and GU24 bomb it would have resonated better.

Ill definitely be there on beta to check it out.

Sturmlocke

Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.
I usually play on live most of the time, but I will most def be checking out this new TLE. I know a lot of ppl prefer the old EQ1/2 experience, and this update is perfect for that type of playstyle. In addition to the vast amount of other things going on around here lately, and to the rest that is cooking behind the scenes, this is a pleasant surprise indeed. I expect this server to be very popular in the long run as it is already catching ppls interest on Youtube and other social platforms. By doing this we have something for everyone around here, whether you want the more nostalgic / classic experience or the more modern content on live. Choice is good. Love the idea!

Duffy

For me it's like partly my dreams came true. Ok it's not the original 2004, but pre LU13 some classes were seriously messed up (like wards not taking mitigation into account, who would want that back). So I am ok with 2006. I seriously hope there won't be Krono on this server. No spell research great, old stats great, old cities great. I wanted to let my subscription run out in April, but no chance now. I am so hopeful for this new server and should probably curb my enthusiasm :D

Loghain

For m it is also a dream come true. I am 2004 player and I played this game for a looong time.

I would add that, as a must, krono should be disabled on this server and in-game shop should be non existent.

The big part of the original EQ2 experience was that you have to earn everything in game. Developers forgot that earning your achievements in game through gameplay and cooperation with other players is what keeps people invested in the game. Not a cash shop....

Mesander

!edit I stand corrected I found Kander's posts mentioned by @Siren some highlights are
  • A lot of actual 2006 code on its own codebase design wise its not linked to Live but security/framework is newer
  • Old Stats (Gear and Enemies)
  • Old quests are back
  • No new races/classes
  • No subcombines in crafting (post overhaul)
  • No subclasses
  • No weight
  • No battlegrounds
  • Yes to limited marketplace
  • No overseer
  • Not free trade
  • No spell research
This is sorta "nerding out" a little but my curiosity is getting the best of me. Not discrediting the devs BUT I am wondering how they are achieving this from the database side. I have a very hard time believing they built it from scratch. Surely they had an old backup somewhere that they used the database as a template and began editing the values/attributes etc. The question is if they did use an old backup - from what timeframe was it? The producer's letter says they are shooting for the 2006 era which would've been after Kingdom of Sky launch. Considering how the last several TLEs have panned out, it would be very surprising if they had something intact from that timeframe. That was 18 years ago lol..

On the other hand, the time and resources to do such starting from a blank slate would be a massive undertaking. Not saying it can't be done, but simply saying from a business standpoint I don't see it being worth the effort this late in the game.

Last edited: