What are your thoughts on the new TLE server details?

Miaga

If we have to have Kronos on origins then have them contained on origins, so a krono bought/sold on origins cannot be sold on live only used. If there is a chance that people can buy/sell kronos on origins that can then be sold on live we will potentially see all the contested areas of origins full of bot groups ruining the game play for others as they lock out encounters and zones, bearing in mind there will not be instanced zones on origins only contested.

GBlack

If we have to have Kronos on origins then have them contained on origins, so a krono bought/sold on origins cannot be sold on live only used. If there is a chance that people can buy/sell kronos on origins that can then be sold on live we will potentially see all the contested areas of origins full of bot groups ruining the game play for others as they lock out encounters and zones, bearing in mind there will not be instanced zones on origins only contested.
There will be bots and exploiters no matter what. Krono is not the root of this evil. I'm not sure if ppl on Live need kronos that much - I have some old toons transferred from TLEs on 2 servers and there is 0 krono for sale at the broker. I remember ppl were selling them on TLE because it had more demand.
If they will be able to deliver the real EQ2, I can live with marketplace.

Miaga

Kronos are bought and sold on live daily, they are used as a currency on some servers, want the new merc buff then give me x kronos, want an achievement then pay me kronos, I've even seen people ask for kronos to sell a master spell!

If they have to be there then OK but I just wish there were ways that the could be controlled/contained or that the economy could have some more controls to try to stop inflation, krono is not the root of the issue but it is a cause of it.

Bekkr

If they have to be there then OK but I just wish there were ways that the could be controlled/contained or that the economy could have some more controls to try to stop inflation, krono is not the root of the issue but it is a cause of it.
Legit krono don't cause inflation, but they don't do anything to alleviate it either. They neither add or remove plat from the game, they simply move it around amongst different accounts.

GBlack

This is due only to the silly broker plat limit - 50m or something - when kronos trade for many billions of plat each now on most live servers.
Oh, I see. Damn I could not imagine it's so bloated xD
Kronos are bought and sold on live daily, they are used as a currency on some servers, want the new merc buff then give me x kronos, want an achievement then pay me kronos, I've even seen people ask for kronos to sell a master spell!

You can't really fight inflation in MMO. TLE already has the best way to deal with it - server reset :)

Last edited:

wayne62682

I am an EQ newb (only played EQ1 on Oakwynd) and haven't ever really been able to play EQ2 as it's so vast and overwhelming. This, on paper, sounds great to me because I never saw the "original" game, only a bloated mess with 50+ abilities and AA levels and tons of confusing things. I hope this reels things back a bit as I've wanted to try it out but I can't get my head around it. Info seems really scarce on what EQ2 was like in 2006 though.

I for one am looking forward to this; last time I tried EQ1 and enjoyed it mildly up until Velious (even as a brand new player got my Druid epic which was incredible). This time I think it's EQ2's time :)

This definitely piques my interest. Taken at face value, it pretty much comes as close as could reasonably be expected to what many have wanted since the TLEs were originally announced. The fact that it will be in its own region and effectively walled-off from Live, even just by itself, is extremely welcome news.

I'd be interested to know some of the details as to how it was achieved, from a technical point of view. Assuming it is just 2006 code with updates, that must have been an interesting and somewhat daunting undertaking. I wonder if this means when the server eventually "catches up" to the initial build (presumably around Fallen Dynasty), they'll be able to apply patches pretty much as they were at the time.

Either way, I am looking forward to trying out the Beta.

Belthyr

On discord Kander said that the code base is the same for all versions. I'm guessing this will be a lot like past TLE servers but with more effort put into restoring content to mimic an older version.

Arandar

On discord Kander said that the code base is the same for all versions. I'm guessing this will be a lot like past TLE servers but with more effort put into restoring content to mimic an older version.
That's not what he said. The complete message was:

So I wanted to be clear about something, although the server is on its own depot, the code base does in fact stretch across all games. So there are possible code changes that could also be updated on the server. For example, a security update, well obviously you would get that, etc. So there are possible code changes that can and will effect the new Origins server, so its not 100% immune to live. However design side, updates for live should not effect the Origins Server. Will pin this.

The emphasis is mine. The Origins server will share some backend systems, and that makes sense. It needs to talk to the current authentication system, the code that manages zones/layers, etc. But the zone maps, resources, scripts, itemization, quests, etc. are isolated from one another. It doesn't mean that it's going to just be another variant of the live servers that are level-gated like the current TLEs.

Last edited:
Still a pretty sizable undertaking to get all the old assets and scripts to work with the multitude of updates over the years I would imagine. So it'll share stuff with live, sure, but the actual meat and potatoes of the game will be separate. By the sounds of it, this will be the actual, original data and assets, updated to work with the modern client/server, and so will require you to switch the actual game version in the launcher. It's quite a departure from the previous TLE servers which were just mostly Live mechanics with restrictions.

Ultimately we will see for sure though in early May.

Arandar

There is a reason most of the old orginal content was replaced or improved - the majority of players did not like it!

There were definitely some QoL changes throughout the period, but at that time, I think most of those design decisions about difficulty and complexity were more about trying to compete with World of Warcraft. It's not that the current playerbase was unhappy with everything, it's that SOE wanted to attract more players -- many of whom WoW was their first MMO, and their only point of reference for how an MMO "should be".

Moxjet75

It depends if there is the original crafting , access quests , itemization , removal of hunter's. There is a lot of if's involved.
in 2006 or so when they streamlined the crafting I was fine with it, as making nails, dowls, pads ect to make a chair.. there were 24 steeps or more,
but yeah hunters and the gear and mods the cap the over, or strike double strike threw with 140+ to stats gets Ludacris

Moxjet75

This is sorta "nerding out" a little but my curiosity is getting the best of me. Not discrediting the devs BUT I am wondering how they are achieving this from the database side. I have a very hard time believing they built it from scratch. Surely they had an old backup somewhere that they used the database as a template and began editing the values/attributes etc. The question is if they did use an old backup - from what timeframe was it? The producer's letter says they are shooting for the 2006 era which would've been after Kingdom of Sky launch. Considering how the last several TLEs have panned out, it would be very surprising if they had something intact from that timeframe. That was 18 years ago lol..

On the other hand, the time and resources to do such starting from a blank slate would be a massive undertaking. Not saying it can't be done, but simply saying from a business standpoint I don't see it being worth the effort this late in the game.
and I've followed this topic on and off for 20 years now and heard the code was lost SEVERAL times they just can't roll back to GU 25

Nuhvohk

and I've followed this topic on and off for 20 years now and heard the code was lost SEVERAL times they just can't roll back to GU 25
flashbacks to the Stormhold beta where they said they couldn't bring the tutorial islands or ship back, and then it went live and there they were

Belthyr

That's not what he said. The complete message was:

So I wanted to be clear about something, although the server is on its own depot, the code base does in fact stretch across all games. So there are possible code changes that could also be updated on the server. For example, a security update, well obviously you would get that, etc. So there are possible code changes that can and will effect the new Origins server, so its not 100% immune to live. However design side, updates for live should not effect the Origins Server. Will pin this.

The emphasis is mine. The Origins server will share some backend systems, and that makes sense. It needs to talk to the current authentication system, the code that manages zones/layers, etc. But the zone maps, resources, scripts, itemization, quests, etc. are isolated from one another. It doesn't mean that it's going to just be another variant of the live servers that are level-gated like the current TLEs.
Yeah it's based on live, like past TLE servers, but hopefully will have more effort put towards making it era correct.

Moxjet75

There is a reason most of the old orginal content was replaced or improved - the majority of players did not like it!
oh yes the talk of SOE cant please everyone at once, and soon real players disappeared and you were in a server with only Ai
im trying to remember my complaints and I could use help with that,
I was told by the dev team or gm's in 2004 or 5 that I played to much