What are your thoughts on the new TLE server details?

Arandar

As I recall, they toned down Nek Forest in a couple of different passes. One was they changed the pathing so the roads weren't crawling with heroic mobs; another later change made a lot of the mobs solo / non-aggro.

ttobey

EverQuest Franchise Principal Animator
Staff member
Developer
I'm curious to know how much work you needed to put in for this, as an animator, and as a designer. I realize as old content it probably doesn't really come on your radar as much, but did you have much input?

Edit: Not intended to be a gotcha or anything, I am genuinely interested.
That's not something in my wheelhouse. That's something the environment artists work on. And Designer input probably tells them what is and isn't flagged as deadly in the geometry.

Ratza

There were definitely some QoL changes throughout the period, but at that time, I think most of those design decisions about difficulty and complexity were more about trying to compete with World of Warcraft. It's not that the current playerbase was unhappy with everything, it's that SOE wanted to attract more players -- many of whom WoW was their first MMO, and their only point of reference for how an MMO "should be".
EQ2 launched a few weeks before WoW. The biggest difference between the 2 games was you could play WoW on pretty much any old PC without much issue and that simply was not the case with EQ2. I remember some of my gaming friends making the move to WoW because it was cheaper than investing in an expensive gaming PC that could handle EQ2.

Nuada

I play all TLEs but I find the producers letter's claim curious as all things described have existed in the previous TLEs. It took them a while to put the race hamlets back in but even then the zones had no content.

Picking 2006 over 2004 does indicate some changes but a lot happened in 2006. Subclasses got cut in Feb 2006 and the crafting overhaul was June 2006.

!edit I stand corrected I found Kander's posts mentioned by @Siren some highlights are
  • A lot of actual 2006 code on its own codebase design wise its not linked to Live but security/framework is newer
  • Old Stats (Gear and Enemies)
  • Old quests are back
  • No new races/classes
  • No subcombines in crafting (post overhaul)
  • No subclasses
  • No weight
  • No battlegrounds
  • Yes to limited marketplace
  • No overseer
  • Not free trade
  • No spell research

No Krono Selling

Sixgauge

What are your thoughts on the new TLE server details?​

It's always the same people in the same guilds every TLE. I'm sure I'll at least try it out. T5 endgame is pretty lackluster compared to most expansions. I expect botting will continue in full force and the economy where everyone pays in kronos will continue. Just guessing, I don't follow eq2 so maybe some of these points have already been clarified. Hopefully they keep appearance slots and appearance gear on the marketplace.

Last edited:
Kinda excited to see it tbh, I'm more on the EQ-killer Classic than anything else these days and avoiding new EQ1 prog since I simply don't have the time, but previous EQ2 TLPs have been too.... easy compared to my rose-tinted memories.

Escape Goat

Kinda excited to see it tbh, I'm more on the EQ-killer Classic than anything else these days and avoiding new EQ1 prog since I simply don't have the time, but previous EQ2 TLPs have been too.... easy compared to my rose-tinted memories.

If they were able to insert some degree of risk or challenge these servers might live longer. I'm with you though. I get bored quickly because its very easy. I dont need the EQ version of Dark Souls but come on. As it stands the possibility your group could wipe is nearly zero. The only times I've died is because the tank pulled half the zone and healer had to sacrifice someone to keep the tank up.

Reverielle

If they were able to insert some degree of risk or challenge these servers might live longer. I'm with you though. I get bored quickly because its very easy. I dont need the EQ version of Dark Souls but come on. As it stands the possibility your group could wipe is nearly zero. The only times I've died is because the tank pulled half the zone and healer had to sacrifice someone to keep the tank up.

I think there is absolutely a challenge to find. It really is up to the player. The other day three of us went into the Acadechism, the enemies were red/orange. We were a Mystic, Warden and Shadow Knight (lvl 80 mentoring). The battles were brutal! We fell a bit, but it was a lot of fun. I personally love a challenge to an really enjoy those tough adventures where everyone needs to play their role well.

Similarly weeks ago I was part of another trio that went into the Throne Room in Crushbone Keep, the enemies were orange for us, and even with two level 50's mentoring down to my warden's level we fell quite a bit, but managed to complete the instance in the end. It was a lot of fun, and we had a good laugh at times.

I duoed most of the Obelisk of Blight with a friend recently, we were level 66 (enemies orange, up to lv 72 from memory), in I believe mostly the quest equipment from Lesser Faydark (which actually seems wonderful for its level); a warden and a coercer. That was tricky, we had to be very careful about our battles there. But we did well, mostly the Coercer getting hit and I healing them.

I guess what I'm trying to say, in perhaps a long-winded way is it really is up to the individual what they want to do in the game (any game really) to find it. It may be far from ideal, and I'm not pretending for a moment it remotely perfect, and there are other MMOs out there with better challenge/balance sure, but challenge can be found and enjoyed if we really want it.

Personally I've found the greatest challenge is actually finding others willing to go on an adventure where the result is not assured before the battle's even begun. But I think that is a 'process' v 'outcome' conversation as much as anything (my guess is most seem to want to get their enjoyment from the outcome/reward itself these days as opposed to from the process of getting said outcome/reward). Okay I'll stop mostly prattling on now...

Jaden

I'm very excited to hear about this. I have just resubbed after 10 years and the idea of starting again on the new TLE brings back much nostalgia.
Me Too!! And among all the details what I hope for MOST is some enthusiasm for grouping!!!

Having the option to solo is absolutely great also; but really, I've played a number of games over the years, and nothing comes close to the fun, and yes, sometimes frustration, but also having goals in common etc and not the what I think is strange - RUSH to speed through. If I'm on an alt trying to do some content I never got to do in o-g EQ II, I do NOT want to rush through. I want to have a balance of seeing and doing that new content and learning it. That doesn't mean I am looking to inch along at a snails pace either.

But its cool to actually have group chat going on; to learn from others more experienced, and to see the types of mobs in that particular dungeon and learn what strat works etc. I get that some players are working on getting powered through and that should be mentioned when putting the group together so you all are on that wavelength. I am just happily anticipating and hoping so much is that we get an influx of players for whom the group vibe is one of their MAIN reasons for subbing!!

Cyrrena

I only played 1 character for the first 8 years :) So I did not mind but I see your point :)

But I still remember having to kill some kind of fat zombie in CL to become Necro :) Good times.
I loved the subclasses for adventuring and I really loved the subcombines for crafting. It made my day when I went into the N Qeynos basement and there were a pile of corpses in front of the forge. You could always tell who was either not paying attention or who was macroing AFK. I was a provisioner, I detested the Forge of Death.

DENSER

I loved the subclasses for adventuring and I really loved the subcombines for crafting. It made my day when I went into the N Qeynos basement and there were a pile of corpses in front of the forge. You could always tell who was either not paying attention or who was macroing AFK. I was a provisioner, I detested the Forge of Death.
Same for crafting, I liked the sometimes very frustrating interaction to obtain a particular object. Finally I think I don't want that anymore , that would be horrible. Except for nostalgia, I find it difficult to see this system working from now on ( system hated by many :D )

GBlack

Same for crafting, I liked the sometimes very frustrating interaction to obtain a particular object. Finally I think I don't want that anymore , that would be horrible. Except for nostalgia, I find it difficult to see this system working from now on ( system hated by many :D )
There will be no subcombines