Origins: Can we get a non-rushed TLE this time, please?

Kenn

DoF was fine at 5 months when it came out 20 years ago. It does not need to be longer now.
Just curious, about how many hours a week were you playing on average when you said you ran out of time to do stuff?
Oh, back then, I was logging about 60 hours a week. It almost makes me sick to think about now because I also had full-time work and part-time school. Yes, Friday after work, I would rush home and sit at the computer barely getting out until Sunday night, way too late. Played like that until a little before Daybreak took over. It is easy to blast through to the end and think, 'That's It?', but if you take your time, there are so many quests. I spent 4 months getting the components to kill the Avatars and I can't seem to find anyone knows about the Avatars or how to unlock the zone to get in.

Krov

They always unlock the expansions too early in my opinion. I wish they would wait a few years between unlocks. I also hope they don't plan to reset it.
That is a recipe for a dead server, once a large portion of the population has completed the content it will turn into a ghost town and raid loggers.

Kenn

That is a recipe for a dead server, once a large portion of the population has completed the content it will turn into a ghost town and raid loggers.
Well, one server can't satisfy everyone. Why exactly are they locking the expansion?

Nocryptic

A least a year for every expansion. That gives players like me time to do all the stuff before next expansion. Others will still play, and bigger hype for every expansion. Blast through really fast and reset is not much fun. Give players time to enjoy the content.
I don't usually post on the forum here, but I was hoping to give my two cents as someone who plays this game on and off. I actually agree that the expansions should take longer. From my experience with TLE (specifically Varsoon is the one that I played), I always felt rushed because my time was limited in experiencing the game. I ended up quitting after an expansion or two because I didn't want to have to keep catching up to everyone speeding through the content.

I think this kind of attitude while playing the game makes people toxic (people are always rushing to the end content and want to finish it first, or in time), and makes it a bit harder for newer (or returning) players like me to have fun. I feel like this also keeps newer players away from the game because they may be unfamiliar with the game, its quests, etc. Some people also like taking it slow, like myself, and many of my friends. Many of us love playing Everquest 2 but feel pressured by the constant expansions and newer content.

My personal opinion would be to have this server continue to RoK then stop there, then have another Time locked Servers based on old mechanics for the older players that like that kind of thing. I feel like having 2 servers like WoW classic, where one is the original (I think RoK or KoS is a good stopping point for this) and the other is a time-locked expansion server for those that want to continue would be nice.

I also wanted to add that I believe that the Krono selling made things worse, although the best solution is good moderation.

Either way, this server sounds exciting, and I can't wait to play it when it comes out :)

Keranoth

I don't usually post on the forum here, but I was hoping to give my two cents as someone who plays this game on and off. I actually agree that the expansions should take longer. From my experience with TLE (specifically Varsoon is the one that I played), I always felt rushed because my time was limited in experiencing the game. I ended up quitting after an expansion or two because I didn't want to have to keep catching up to everyone speeding through the content.

I think this kind of attitude while playing the game makes people toxic (people are always rushing to the end content and want to finish it first, or in time), and makes it a bit harder for newer (or returning) players like me to have fun. I feel like this also keeps newer players away from the game because they may be unfamiliar with the game, its quests, etc. Some people also like taking it slow, like myself, and many of my friends. Many of us love playing Everquest 2 but feel pressured by the constant expansions and newer content.

My personal opinion would be to have this server continue to RoK then stop there, then have another Time locked Servers based on old mechanics for the older players that like that kind of thing. I feel like having 2 servers like WoW classic, where one is the original (I think RoK or KoS is a good stopping point for this) and the other is a time-locked expansion server for those that want to continue would be nice.

I also wanted to add that I believe that the Krono selling made things worse, although the best solution is good moderation.

Either way, this server sounds exciting, and I can't wait to play it when it comes out :)
I agree that it should be slower paced. With the Varsoon server, I felt I was never set to enjoy the content. It would be nice to have a slower pace of leveling where we can all enjoy leveling and partying together. I understand gaming has a different culture now-a-days with min-maxing and meta play but it would be nice to bring back the social aspects of an MMORPG. I feel this is one of the things that killed this game.

Last edited:
For the love of (whatever) please don't do the same thing over again and let those people that are in such a hurry have it their way again. Every time there is a new TLE we have people that rush to the end and when they are at the end they moan and QQ to get the next exp as soon as possible. They want those god awful Hunter quests to keep themselves busy. They want the guildhall and anything that makes their life easier.
Can we for ONES have a server that lets life / leveling take it's time?
If those people are not happy then they can go back to Live or Varsoon server. We are many out there that has hoped for a server that does not have all the fluff and stuff. We enjoy grinding in dungeons, we enjoy running around chatting to people because we have nothing else to do. We love harvesting and watching general chat. We love the accomplishment of finally getting a new level. The feeling of being in town looking at gear that other players has managed to get.
If we get guildhalls the connection between players are ruined.

The small talk that happens when many players are in the same area is MMORPG-magic!! Don't take it away again!
The grinding and feeling of "I MADE IT" when you slowely grind is MMORPG-magic!! Don't take it away again!

Let me quote Albert Einstein - "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

So please let this be different and don't make the same mistakes yet again!

GBlack

Yes and no. I mean I agree it should be less fast paced as TLE, but having one expac more than 6 months is too long. Especially for vanilla.That would be a nice experiment to level cap at certaing levels for a week on the Origins release just like they're planning to do beta. That would be nice for some horizontal progression and tradeskills. A lot of peeps seem to embrace that idea on discord.

Last edited:

Nuhvohk

They want those god awful Hunter quests to keep themselves busy.
I don't think I've EVER heard anyone say they want Hunters. They want the rewards, maybe. But the "quests" themselves are maligned.

Also, I think it's all but confirmed that Hunters only exists to boost the game's daily login statistics that Darkpaw reports to their higher-ups.

Real question, is 4 months not enough time in each expansion pack for you? Lol

For some people it's really not. Even back when the game was "new", you had a fairly sizable casual base that would easily need an entire expansion cycle to get to max level, and even then they'd usually find some kind of busy work to do as a guild too like HQs they couldn't solo, LnLs, or collections.

Raiders are a vocal minority, poopsockers who max out in one to three days are a vocal minority. Four months definitely feels like too long when you aren't interested in content outside of a super small niche.

That said I really don't expect the unlocks to go higher than 4 months unless we find something in beta on the 2nd that necessitates it. Like, for example, that a "pure grouping environment" means we move a lot slower due to so few solo quests being available in 2006. The reduction of heroic mobs and quest rebalancing happened a good bit after '06.

Remember - The Caves used to be a "Group Content" zone and served as a bridge between Qeynos and Blackburrow. And the back half of most of the newbie zones usually required 2-3 players to really clear due to encounter linking and boss targets making it difficult (not impossible) to get around solo.

Nuhvohk

I think a factor that gets frequently overlooked in the "how long for each expansion" discourse is how expac unlocks are additive. Meaning, if you play the server from the beginning and never make alts, 4 months may seem way too long; but if you join the server some 2-3 expacs in, more of that expac window is spent playing catch-up. By the time you end up reaching endgame level, getting your AAs, getting gear/spells made, farming all your turq adorns, doing your Hunters, etc, you may only have a small window to actually enjoy the current expac before the next one comes out and it's all made obsolete. On the live non-TLE servers, this was handled by adding more expediency/QoL features to the lower tier content: increasing XP rates, adding "level up" baubles, adding merchants to give you starter gear for the latest expac, etc. But on TLE, the slowness and barriers that are instated at the start of the server remain until it eventually dies out.

Basically, I think if you want to have a constant rate of time per expansion, you need to augment that by making the "obsolete" expacs take less time to clear as the server moves forward. This could theoretically contribute to the other problem of MMO populations being stacked towards endgame, but I found on TLE this was largely the case anyway.

Keranoth

I'll keep some optimism that the developers are taking the right step with TLE server; however, I'm sure hardcore raiders and bots are going to ruin this one too. If not now, eventually. When that time comes, I'll unsubscribe again. In a recent post, someone said that 6 months is too long for just one expansion. I disagree with that notion if the content is harder/longer to level, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Zenji

For the love of (whatever) please don't do the same thing over again and let those people that are in such a hurry have it their way again. Every time there is a new TLE we have people that rush to the end and when they are at the end they moan and QQ to get the next exp as soon as possible. They want those god awful Hunter quests to keep themselves busy.
It sounds like you are just lumping people together who do things you don't like.

I level as fast as the server allows and like to kill stuff fairly quickly, yet myself and everyone that I play with despise Hunters.
Also the unlock cycle for expansions is set prior to the server launching, not from people moaning and QQing because they got bored.

Sounds like you need to redirect that anger.

Last edited:

Kenn

I second the OP. I want the movie not the TikTok version. 4 Months on an expansion is barely enough time to do anything. I could spend an entire month just on collections. Lore and Legends, HQs, Signatures, crafting. I need a year, and that would be pushing it. I don't want to rush through 1 shooting the quest line, I want the adventure.