The Origins Server is coming to Beta!

Koren

I took the day off just so I could be there when the beta starts! I’m so hyped for this, looking forward to making new friends and hoping some of my old friends return for this. I remember bonding with everyone while camping names for quests. Walking around the city saying hi to everyone you meet. Those were the fun good old days.

Loghain

Me and my friend back then had a pact that you are not allowed to leave the Isle unless you are hunter of goblin and skeletons and you have crafted your gear, gotten to lvl 9 in tradeskill. We tried to do all the things you were able to before leaving. It was a very special feeling. Also there was a quest drop from crabs that you had to not be above a certain lvl to even get the drop. Cannot remember the name. Perhaps it's still around, I don't know
Nice memories. I had the same. Also did everything possible on Isle, but I couldn't leave for few months not because of some pact, but because I had no credit card to subscribe to the game :) good times :).

I remember when my friend and I finally got a credit card and he first got to the Freeport. Amazing!!! That feeling I will probably never had again in any game. We didn't know where we are going. No map or anything. Had to ask guards for the NPC names and directions. Ended at the Graveyards and he lost 5 shards hahaha

Forestchild

Me and my friend back then had a pact that you are not allowed to leave the Isle unless you are hunter of goblin and skeletons and you have crafted your gear, gotten to lvl 9 in tradeskill. We tried to do all the things you were able to before leaving. It was a very special feeling. Also there was a quest drop from crabs that you had to not be above a certain lvl to even get the drop. Cannot remember the name. Perhaps it's still around, I don't know
the name of the dropped quest was

Dropped Quests

It was a level 5 quest, AFAIK It's still around.

Jovie

The original IoR wasn't explicitly tied into the original achetype progression other than not being able to get to level 10 on the island because you needed to go to a mentor in the city to do a short/easy quest to chose which class of the archetype you wanted. Similarly, in EQ2 the Gloomingdeep Mines (added many years after original launch) is limited to level 15 but designed to be until level 10. Island of Refuge was also intended for max level 10 even in the subsequent versions of it.

However, I do expect it will be IoR v2 rather than v1. I also expect the opening boat might not be part of the starting new character experience even though it had been somewhat (in a different version) added back into the game after it was taken out. There is a version IoR right now, along with a later version of the boat, on Live. That might be the version of IoR on Origins rather than v1, v2, or any other version they've had.

The current version is somewhat similar to the 2nd version but I don't think the 2nd version was specifically because of the change to the achetype to subclass progression but only because they were trying for a different type of "tutorial".
Glooming Deep mines is in eq1.

MightyMeaghan

The original IoR wasn't explicitly tied into the original achetype progression other than not being able to get to level 10 on the island because you needed to go to a mentor in the city to do a short/easy quest to chose which class of the archetype you wanted.
It was definitely explicitly tied to the archetype system. The first thing you did on hitting the island was choose your archetype and most of your journey on the island was tied to that decision. Each archetype had its own questline. The level lock wasn't connected to the island though, it was connected to citizenship. You couldn't progress passed level 6 without gaining citizenship first.

Spock

I will be looking to see how close to 2006 they go and if it's similar to the period you can count on me to resub because i started playing EQ2 way past that period and when people say there was very little soloing back then and mobs were a lot more difficult to kill aka heroics that interest me a lot. To have more time between expansions is important also for me but forget more then 6 months i don't want origins to become dead either.

Kenn

I will be looking to see how close to 2006 they go and if it's similar to the period you can count on me to resub because i started playing EQ2 way past that period and when people say there was very little soloing back then and mobs were a lot more difficult to kill aka heroics that interest me a lot. To have more time between expansions is important also for me but forget more then 6 months i don't want origins to become dead either.
I think people forget how slow everything was. No fast ports, most didn't have mounts for awhile. 30% run speed was fast.

Nuhvohk

I think people forget how slow everything was. No fast ports, most didn't have mounts for awhile. 30% run speed was fast.
There were 50% runspeed horses in 2006, although they were expensive and required a high guild level. 30% was average, 40% mounts were medium-high price range (less than 10p). Everyone being locked to 27% mountspeed is a TLE thing; mounts back in the day had variable speeds.

(note: I'm not disagreeing with you here, just elaborating)

Chikkin

Uh, Kander already said in Discord the other day that there will in fact be XP pots in the shop, but only 5% or 10% ones. He didn't say whether there would be solo vs team XP pots, though, and if there are both, will they stack? I hope we get to see the shop in beta.
Marketplace is always disabled on beta server. Because that server is temporary, it is wiped and they don't want anyone to lose things bought with real money.