The Origins Server is coming to Beta!

Cusashorn

Guildhalls weren't added until around 2008 or so. It'll just be Qeynos and Freeport to force the population to interact with each other.

MightyMeaghan

I didn't ask who he was and where is was. I asked if they will place him on the Isle of Refuge again with this new server? This thread is about that server after all. I took the screenshot so I very well remember him and that he was difficult back then.
Considering the Isle of Refuge was removed prior to this server's time period... I don't think you're getting Captain Rockbelly since the zone he was in won't be there.

Queen's Colony ≠ Isle of Refuge

Rijacki

Considering the Isle of Refuge was removed prior to this server's time period... I don't think you're getting Captain Rockbelly since the zone he was in won't be there.

Queen's Colony ≠ Isle of Refuge

However, in the announcement it is specified it will be original zones with 2006 mechanics, so that does lead to a lot of questions that might only be answered on 2 May with the beta.

This server will start in The Shattered Lands era (no expansions unlocked), and you’ll get to experience the look and challenge of the classic world of Norrath. Systems will seem less complex, stats and gameplay will be reflective of the 2006 era, and there will be more focus on grouping with that old school MMO feel!​

Cusashorn

it would've clarified a lot of things if the origin server announcement pointed out that class progression and the Isle of Refuge and original Betrayal quest tied into it can't come back, just like they did with trying to restore item weight.

Azkadelia

Just a quick note to voice some things that I miss. I miss EQ2 where we had to quest to get the Lore & Legend books. I miss the starting boroughs.
I miss being able to purchase things from the broker with the monies you make from questing!

Krono was the worst thing to ever hit the live server. Many folks in this economy can NOT afford to keep buying platinum with real cash when it could mean dinner or rent or gas for their real lives. Yes, part of the reason I stopped playing was the completely ridiculous inflated prices, making even advanced recipies unattainable for the average (middle class) players.

I miss the folks who used to help players (who could only manage a couple hours in the evening of play)get Epic weapons. Or help in general. Often times, when you asked for help, you had too many offers! Not so anymore.
I know there are as many styles of play as there are people who play, however the goal of the game lately is one of "Us and Them" mentality.

I have so many collections that I will never finish because the rare is so rare I haven't seen the drop since EQ2 started! Don't even get me started on the rare drop on the broker! It is total insanity!

I am looking foreward to the new server in a way that I haven't been excited about playing in a long time!
Azkadelia

SevenShadows

Just a quick note to voice some things that I miss. I miss EQ2 where we had to quest to get the Lore & Legend books. I miss the starting boroughs.
I miss being able to purchase things from the broker with the monies you make from questing!

Krono was the worst thing to ever hit the live server. Many folks in this economy can NOT afford to keep buying platinum with real cash when it could mean dinner or rent or gas for their real lives. Yes, part of the reason I stopped playing was the completely ridiculous inflated prices, making even advanced recipies unattainable for the average (middle class) players.

I miss the folks who used to help players (who could only manage a couple hours in the evening of play)get Epic weapons. Or help in general. Often times, when you asked for help, you had too many offers! Not so anymore.
I know there are as many styles of play as there are people who play, however the goal of the game lately is one of "Us and Them" mentality.

I have so many collections that I will never finish because the rare is so rare I haven't seen the drop since EQ2 started! Don't even get me started on the rare drop on the broker! It is total insanity!

I am looking foreward to the new server in a way that I haven't been excited about playing in a long time!
Azkadelia
We all get excited, then they get greedy and ruin it with pay to win cash shop items, then we one by one leave disappointed... I really hope this time is different with it being "origins" but we'll see...

Bella22

Just don't sub. If it isn't a success, they won't do it again. I was going to join the server just to do some of the game classic style nice and casually but I won't be now since I am playing EQ1 and use my krono to sub. Not going to pay the same company 2x a month that is just silly. I thought this would be a fun server to dabble with in my downtime for HQs and such. *and yes, i support the game through micro transactions even though I don't have to pay for my sub so there is lost revenue*

If krono were able to be consumed, and just not traded, then I would be making a character or three.
You can play both EQ and EQ2 on the same subscription. I go back and forth every so often, And each game gets slots

Bella22

We’re taking it back to 2006.
We’ve been keeping a sharp eye on all the buzzing and excitement since the announcement of the Origins Server in the April Producer’s Letter. We have more information to provide you as we get ready for Beta to open on May 2, 2024.

The name of the Origins Server will be Anashti Sul. And just like her, we’re bringing something back from the great beyond! This server will start in The Shattered Lands era (no expansions unlocked), and you’ll get to experience the look and challenge of the classic world of Norrath. Systems will seem less complex, stats and gameplay will be reflective of the 2006 era, and there will be more focus on grouping with that old school MMO feel! If you missed out on the 2006 version of EverQuest II, you should check out the redux of it in 2024 on Anashti Sul; it’s going to be mind-blowing!

Adventure and Tradeskill Leveling for this Beta will be on a schedule. May 2nd through May 15th of the Beta will allow for adventure and tradeskill leveling to level 12, May 16th through May 22nd will go to level 22, and the remaining time will see the cap at level 32. Beta will end on June 13, 2024.

Need help getting ready for Beta? Check out THIS GUIDE on it! Get ready for an old school adventure! We’ll see you in-game soon.

Other information:
  • There will be no spell research.
  • Krono will not be able to be consumed, traded, or sold on an Origins server.
  • There will be a 6-week Beta to ensure we cover a wide breadth of testing.
  • Attributes have restored secondary functionality, agility will help avoid melee attacks, intelligence will increase ability potency, strength will increase melee damage, and wisdom will grant extra resistance.
  • All bosses will be original stat/buff packages.
  • No weight. It could not be restored.
  • Unlocks have not been decided yet, however we do have new forums, and we will be able to poll and discuss unlocks before we launch.
  • No holiday events.
  • There will be a marketplace, but it will be very limited.
  • It will not be free trade.
  • This server is on its own design depot.
    • This is the first time for this type of separation for EverQuest II.
    • It cannot be affected by Live design updates, and vice versa.
    • Code and Art are still across all server types, for a variety of reasons. For example, connections to external or shared resources such as Database, Authentication, etc. have completely changed over the years.
  • Freeport and Qeynos are back to old school, in both appearance and functionality.
    • Livable neighborhoods, and their quests, are back! With the scope of the changes, these will need a lot of testing.
  • No persistent instances.
  • No tradeskill subcombines.
    • The current build is right after subcombines for crafting were removed.
Join us on social media: X, Facebook, Instagram, and Discord.
I'm going to try the new server. Try the neighborhoods I never got to try originally,

Yellekai

I just came back to this game two weeks ago and this news hit me like a ton of bricks shortly thereafter. I will never forget making my erudite conjuror at launch and living in Starcrest Commune. Or the first time I sent my spider out to attack mobs. And carrying crates from the craft hall to the bank at about one step a minute. I played this game religiously for 10 years and loved every hour of it. Can't wait to see how close this gets to the real original. Also can't wait to group up with all the whackadoodles this game attracts. LOL Made a lot of friends playing this game though we've lost touch over the past 5 years or so. This is gonna be fun.

Bekkr

KRONO 👏🏻 DOESN'T 👏🏻 CAUSE 👏🏻 INFLATION 👏🏻

Rijacki

The IoR was directly tied to the class progression system as it existed at launch, and among many other fundamental changes (see the notes below) it was entirely removed, and replaced, on February 2, 2006.

I have learned over the years never to say never. I will wait and see how beta unfolds.
The original IoR wasn't explicitly tied into the original achetype progression other than not being able to get to level 10 on the island because you needed to go to a mentor in the city to do a short/easy quest to chose which class of the archetype you wanted. Similarly, in EQ2 the Gloomingdeep Mines (added many years after original launch) is limited to level 15 but designed to be until level 10. Island of Refuge was also intended for max level 10 even in the subsequent versions of it.

However, I do expect it will be IoR v2 rather than v1. I also expect the opening boat might not be part of the starting new character experience even though it had been somewhat (in a different version) added back into the game after it was taken out. There is a version IoR right now, along with a later version of the boat, on Live. That might be the version of IoR on Origins rather than v1, v2, or any other version they've had.

The current version is somewhat similar to the 2nd version but I don't think the 2nd version was specifically because of the change to the achetype to subclass progression but only because they were trying for a different type of "tutorial".

Rijacki

Just don't sub. If it isn't a success, they won't do it again. I was going to join the server just to do some of the game classic style nice and casually but I won't be now since I am playing EQ1 and use my krono to sub. Not going to pay the same company 2x a month that is just silly. I thought this would be a fun server to dabble with in my downtime for HQs and such. *and yes, i support the game through micro transactions even though I don't have to pay for my sub so there is lost revenue*

If krono were able to be consumed, and just not traded, then I would be making a character or three.
All Access from consuming a Krono on any server other than an Origins server will give you subscription to all EQ and EQ2 servers. The Origins server not allowing Krono to be consumed ON the server does not mean you have to have a separate paid account, just that you can't claim, trade, sell, buy, or consume a Krono ON that server.

Cusashorn

We all get excited, then they get greedy and ruin it with pay to win cash shop items, then we one by one leave disappointed... I really hope this time is different with it being "origins" but we'll see...
As stated in the article itself, this server will have severly limited access to the marketplace, and you can bet there wont' be any XP potions or potions of forgiveness-- the only "pay to win" mechanics you claim have ruined the gameplay.

*IF* this server's economy is to remain stable, they will need to double their efforts to prevent platinum duplication methods that caused the live servers to have trillions of platinum in circulation.

Siren

As stated in the article itself, this server will have severly limited access to the marketplace, and you can bet there wont' be any XP potions or potions of forgiveness-- the only "pay to win" mechanics you claim have ruined the gameplay.

*IF* this server's economy is to remain stable, they will need to double their efforts to prevent platinum duplication methods that caused the live servers to have trillions of platinum in circulation.

Uh, Kander already said in Discord the other day that there will in fact be XP pots in the shop, but only 5% or 10% ones. He didn't say whether there would be solo vs team XP pots, though, and if there are both, will they stack? I hope we get to see the shop in beta.

Cusashorn

Okay I stand corrected. Still, XP potions are hardly what I would call "pay to win", let alone something that would ruin the experience for everyone else around you.

Me and my friend back then had a pact that you are not allowed to leave the Isle unless you are hunter of goblin and skeletons and you have crafted your gear, gotten to lvl 9 in tradeskill. We tried to do all the things you were able to before leaving. It was a very special feeling. Also there was a quest drop from crabs that you had to not be above a certain lvl to even get the drop. Cannot remember the name. Perhaps it's still around, I don't know

Attachments

• 473053_607465525944154_542247762_o.jpg
    473053_607465525944154_542247762_o.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 10