The Origins Server is coming to Beta!

Archess Ney

oh dang lol, ya was hoping for like a couple hours from now..
Yeah same, I was hoping around 6 or 7pm or something, which would be 3-4 hours from now, If I remember correctly that's when most EQ1 TLP's launch, unless its around 9 and I am remembering wrong, kinda sucks I had my whole schedule cleared for today, Le Ripz!

Vishous

Yeah same, I was hoping around 6 or 7pm or something, which would be 3-4 hours from now, If I remember correctly that's when most EQ1 TLP's launch, unless its around 9 and I am remembering wrong, kinda sucks I had my whole schedule cleared for today, Le Ripz!
damn ya, maybe we will get lucky

Mountbatten

The beta is going to be running for 6 weeks, and is capped at level 12 for the first two of those. I don't think an hour or two here or there is going to make much of a difference.

Archess Ney

The beta is going to be running for 6 weeks, and is capped at level 12 for the first two of those. I don't think an hour or two here or there is going to make much of a difference.
In the grand scheme of things, no, but for me it means ill be able to play maybe Monday evening instead...

Azkadelia

KRONO 👏🏻 DOESN'T 👏🏻 CAUSE 👏🏻 INFLATION 👏🏻
I appologize if I got it wrong. I do know something happened to cause people to think 1 million platinum for a shinie is okay. I would love for you to tell me what happened, because I am truly baffled by this craziness.

I appologize if I got it wrong. I do know something happened to cause people to think 1 million platinum for a shinie is okay. I would love for you to tell me what happened, because I am truly baffled by this craziness.
Technically it was Krono but these types hate to admit that.

Krono caused two of the most recent plat dupes on live servers, a subset of players bought the cheap kronos with the duped plat, put them all up for high resale and it became a vicious cycle. While it only affected Kronos at first, everything from harvested mats to expert spells started to go up and up and up until they were pretty much unaffordable without buying a few Kronos yourself.

This is especially true on Maj'dul and HoF.

Alternatively, referring SPECIFICALLY to TLP servers, early adopters get Krono cheap and hold onto it until 2-3 expansions in and then charge exorbitant amounts of plat which creates a similar effect on TLPs.

The big difference is TLPs did not have the dupe, so the effect is significantly smaller.

But more directly, the BIGGEST problem that causes marketboard inflation is meaningful in-game Platinum sinks. We used to have to pay broker fees when we used the broker which, thanks to a lot of people selling primarily with the Veteran Display Case or similar boxes that remove the Broker Fees, are not much of an issue anymore. Housing Escrow also used to be a huge sink but most people use Prestige Housing to circumvent this. It barely even dents people's plat to upkeep guild halls anymore.

Tkia

That's easy. Greed. The greed of the cheaters that duped the excess plat into the economy in the first place and the greed of the broker merchants frantically trying to suck that excess into their own accounts just because they can.

Archess Ney

Technically it was Krono but these types hate to admit that.

Krono caused two of the most recent plat dupes on live servers, a subset of players bought the cheap kronos with the duped plat, put them all up for high resale and it became a vicious cycle. While it only affected Kronos at first, everything from harvested mats to expert spells started to go up and up and up until they were pretty much unaffordable without buying a few Kronos yourself.

This is especially true on Maj'dul and HoF.

Alternatively, referring SPECIFICALLY to TLP servers, early adopters get Krono cheap and hold onto it until 2-3 expansions in and then charge exorbitant amounts of plat which creates a similar effect on TLPs.

The big difference is TLPs did not have the dupe, so the effect is significantly smaller.

But more directly, the BIGGEST problem that causes marketboard inflation is meaningful in-game Platinum sinks. We used to have to pay broker fees when we used the broker which, thanks to a lot of people selling primarily with the Veteran Display Case or similar boxes that remove the Broker Fees, are not much of an issue anymore. Housing Escrow also used to be a huge sink but most people use Prestige Housing to circumvent this. It barely even dents people's plat to upkeep guild halls anymore.
To be fair, if it was a plat dupe/bug that caused the price inflation, even if you didnt have krono around, wouldnt everything not get more expensive as the duped plat went around, the krono here sounds like it was just the vehicle for it to spread faster and without the plat bug it couldn't have happened.

Early adopters always have an advantage, it be the same without Krono, you start early, and by just that, it gives you an advantage, having Krono at least lets you start late, sell 1 krono for plat at the now more expensive prices allowing you to gear up and catch up, now on a kronoless server, you start late and well, nothing you can do about it

To be fair, if it was a plat dupe/bug that caused the price inflation, even if you didnt have krono around, wouldnt everything not get more expensive as the duped plat went around, the krono here sounds like it was just the vehicle for it to spread faster and without the plat bug it couldn't have happened.

Early adopters always have an advantage, it be the same without Krono, you start early, and by just that, it gives you an advantage, having Krono at least lets you start late, sell 1 krono for plat at the now more expensive prices allowing you to gear up and catch up, now on a kronoless server, you start late and well, nothing you can do about it

On a Kronoless server you catch up how we always did it, and how we do it in games where subscription tokens don't exist.

You find friends to play with and do the content. Sure, you're going to be carried for a bit until you gear up, but we did dungeons without "guaranteed clear stats" all the time and we enjoyed it. Raids aren't everything and buying power just means you have less to do on the game.

It's like people have literally reached a point where credit card swipes are the only thing they know or are willing to do, rather than actually playing the game.

Taemek

We’re taking it back to 2006.
We’ve been keeping a sharp eye on all the buzzing and excitement since the announcement of the Origins Server in the April Producer’s Letter. We have more information to provide you as we get ready for Beta to open on May 2, 2024.

The name of the Origins Server will be Anashti Sul. And just like her, we’re bringing something back from the great beyond! This server will start in The Shattered Lands era (no expansions unlocked), and you’ll get to experience the look and challenge of the classic world of Norrath. Systems will seem less complex, stats and gameplay will be reflective of the 2006 era, and there will be more focus on grouping with that old school MMO feel! If you missed out on the 2006 version of EverQuest II, you should check out the redux of it in 2024 on Anashti Sul; it’s going to be mind-blowing!

Adventure and Tradeskill Leveling for this Beta will be on a schedule. May 2nd through May 15th of the Beta will allow for adventure and tradeskill leveling to level 12, May 16th through May 22nd will go to level 22, and the remaining time will see the cap at level 32. Beta will end on June 13, 2024.

Need help getting ready for Beta? Check out THIS GUIDE on it! Get ready for an old school adventure! We’ll see you in-game soon.

You must be an All-Access member to participate in this Beta and to access Anashti Sul.

Other information:
  • There will be no spell research.
  • Krono will not be able to be consumed, traded, or sold on an Origins server.
  • There will be a 6-week Beta to ensure we cover a wide breadth of testing.
  • Attributes have restored secondary functionality, agility will help avoid melee attacks, intelligence will increase ability potency, strength will increase melee damage, and wisdom will grant extra resistance.
  • All bosses will be original stat/buff packages.
  • No weight. It could not be restored.
  • Unlocks have not been decided yet, however we do have new forums, and we will be able to poll and discuss unlocks before we launch.
  • No holiday events.
  • There will be a marketplace, but it will be very limited.
  • It will not be free trade.
  • This server is on its own design depot.
    • This is the first time for this type of separation for EverQuest II.
    • It cannot be affected by Live design updates, and vice versa.
    • Code and Art are still across all server types, for a variety of reasons. For example, connections to external or shared resources such as Database, Authentication, etc. have completely changed over the years.
  • Freeport and Qeynos are back to old school, in both appearance and functionality.
    • Livable neighborhoods, and their quests, are back! With the scope of the changes, these will need a lot of testing.
  • No persistent instances.
  • No tradeskill subcombines.
    • The current build is right after subcombines for crafting were removed.
  • Origins will work like EU, where characters on that server are separate from US. So, if you have 10 slots (membership + purchased), you could have 10 chars each on US, EU, and Origins.
Join us on social media: X, Facebook, Instagram, and Discord.
Im in love again!!!!!

Finally, something worth playing!!!

Saint Sora

The past few TLE have been players botting/duping plat on live servers &/or in EQ1, then buying out/stockpiling krono on live servers &/or EQ1. They then enter TLE and run a group/raid of bots to farm gear, PL, etc. They sell the krono they have stockpiled on live server to players for RL $ on TLE servers. Players on TLE buy krono from these botters/dupers for RL cash, then use the krono to buy PL or gear from the same people who just sold them the krono. This allows just a few people to control most of the relevant economy on the server, because they are providing the currency and the things the currency is being spent on. When you purchase krono from them for RL cash, they can mail/trade you the krono in EQ1, or trade you it on a different server in EQ2. This makes it much harder to track, and much easier for them to continue nefarious actions throughout multiple games/servers, because krono is all transferrable. This causes the price of most desirable items to not be tied to a cost of in game currency, but to be tied to krono. It also causes the price of most desirable items to be removed from the reach of average players since average players cannot compete with the efficiency of a group or raid of botted toons.

I am so happy to see krono not be part of this new server and I am actually excited to play for the first time in a long time. The other half of the problem still needs to be tackled: botters. I think disallowing multi-boxing on this server would further increase the success of the server, since the devs either cannot discern the difference between boxers and botters, or are unwilling to. I know there are players who legitimately enjoy multi-boxing, but I feel that the enjoyment of the majority should be prioritized over the enjoyment of the few. There is also still every other server that could be multi-boxed on.

Archess Ney

On a Kronoless server you catch up how we always did it, and how we do it in games where subscription tokens don't exist.

You find friends to play with and do the content. Sure, you're going to be carried for a bit until you gear up, but we did dungeons without "guaranteed clear stats" all the time and we enjoyed it. Raids aren't everything and buying power just means you have less to do on the game.

It's like people have literally reached a point where credit card swipes are the only thing they know or are willing to do, rather than actually playing the game.
As an old time raider "before" krono messed up the game for you, you know full well there will be a core group in every guild, if you aint in that core or you know any of them personally, you wont be getting free rides, there are exceptions of course, but ive never been in a guild were this hasn't happened.

I just want this server to succeed, if it doesn't, then next year they will release an origin server with Krono enabled and this one will be dead and forgotten the day the new one launches

Felindar

I only played EQ2 up to TSO. There was no Krono in that era of EQ2 and if the stated goal is to recreate "Old School" EQ2, then leaving Krono out (introduced 2012 I think) seems like the right starting position.

As an old time raider "before" krono messed up the game for you, you know full well there will be a core group in every guild, if you aint in that core or you know any of them personally, you wont be getting free rides, there are exceptions of course, but ive never been in a guild were this hasn't happened.

I just want this server to succeed, if it doesn't, then next year they will release an origin server with Krono enabled and this one will be dead and forgotten the day the new one launches

Actually I don't know, we must have had very different server experiences prior to DoV. Usually we took what we could get on the group side of things and maybe if we were lucky there might be a raid alliance we could work if we weren't quite able to form a guildies-only raid.

Because it's only post-DoV that stats got so wonky you couldn't clear group content without having BiS right out of the door. Some would argue it started in SF or TSO but it really took a bit longer to truly get out of control, owing largely to Crit Mit but also a drastic change in how stats were calculated and how general mob mitigation worked. It got even worse with the addition of Resolve, and then Fervor.