Producer’s Letter April 2024

Arandar

In an ideal world, when the beta starts they'd let us know specifically what GU they used as their base reference code, and then patch notes for anything they've changed. That would help testers catch anything that doesn't seem quite right (because I expect a lot of folks will be reporting "bugs" that aren't really bugs, just QoL features, etc. that didn't exist at the time).

In either case, I'm okay with waiting and plan on playing the beta extensively.

Hartay

Keeper of the Server Hamsters
It's there on Discord, you can go look for yourself.
Not everyone uses Discord, nor should it be required for information about the game. The company has their own self-hosted forums, why not make use of them? I dislike third-party apps like Discord or Reddit that sever the community discussion. That being said, I really wish they would start posting on here if they have something to share.

We have this lovely button for this reason:
1712527411365.png

Edit: a good example of this is Kander releasing the information on the double week(end?) in Discord, but not a peep on the official channels.

Last edited:

Nuhvohk

No free trade is the best in my opinion. Gets rid of the bot guilds selling updates and gear. I say no kronos on the broker either.
Admittedly most gear in Vanilla is freely tradeable already anyway. HEIRLOOM stuff didn't become common until Echoes of Faydwer. And even on the so-called "free trade" servers they've done, quest rewards were still NO-TRADE, it's not like it was a free-for-all.

Zek, Lavastorm and Everfrost were largely about HQs and the dungeon instances. I think by GU26ish, they had added the Dreadnever quests in SolEye, but that's about it. EL and Feerott were the zones that had the most T4-5 questy stuff, iirc.

EL did have most of the quests, yeah. But it was still a paper-thin number when you consider how much EXP we needed to level and such lol. Foomby's was the big reason for a lot of lurking there too, and Reaching Blade of the Assassin.

Jimbolini

Important questions below. :)

1. /pizza returning?
2. Heroic combat wheel?
3. repair kits?
4. no climbing?
5. Annoying people in Nettleview asking me if i have ever seen a gnoll before?
6. Keep Sgt. Quackers?
7. The good old days when no one had 10 plat?
8. In zone raid invites only?

Many many more, but interesting to say the least. You may get my 4 accounts to reactivate for a short time.

I don't think "Origin" should be classed as a TLE server. 20 year anniversary - it should be a "Platinum" server, and stay with the old systems forever, never merging
🔥🔥🔥 This 100%, the first Origins servers (PVE & PVP) should be permanent. And if they do any origin TLE's in the future they would then have a place to put those characters when those TLE's end since Origins is going to be its own fork or code. I would be sooooo happy if they are permanent because I play extremely slow and the thought of putting all that work in just to have it poof gone is a huge deterrent for me so I usually don't play TLE's but am super excited for a Origins permanent server. If I know they are permanent you'll have one more yearly subscriber!!! Pretty, pretty, Please with sugar on top... hehe... 🤞🤞🤞

Dannni

It reminds me of wanting to go and see one of the Rolling Stones nostalgia tours. You cant turn back time and recreate the past, unless you somehow get your hands on a time machine. The world has moved on and too much has changed irreversibly, so the experience becomes a water downed version of what youre truly looking for.

Arandar

1. /pizza returning?
2. Heroic combat wheel?
3. repair kits?
4. no climbing?
6. Keep Sgt. Quackers?

Many many more, but interesting to say the least. You may get my 4 accounts to reactivate for a short time.

I am going to flog this horse once again.

The /pizza command still works, but just shows the results of a Google search for pizza. The current in-game browser is there to support the game's help system. It is based on an old (3+ year) version of Chromium and is not secure. There have been at least 30 major updates released after the version of Chromium they're using inside EQ2.

You should never use the in-game browser for anything resembling a financial transaction over the Internet, full stop. If you want to order a pizza online, use Chrome / Edge / Firefox.

Nuhvohk

1. /pizza returning?
2. Heroic combat wheel?
3. repair kits?
4. no climbing?
6. Keep Sgt. Quackers?

1. probably not
2. Heroic Opportunities are still in game, they're just not relevant at higher tiers so nobody disrupts their spell rotation to do them. Since the game launched with the HO mechanic, they will certainly be in on Origins.
3. The Carpenter recipe for Rosewood Patch Kits came out in February 2006, so yes they should be in.
4. Climbing was added in DoF in 2005, so yes there will be climbing (although there aren't any climbable surfaces in Shattered Lands zones)
5. Nathan Ironforge is a god in mortal flesh, he is eternal.
6. See above.
7. lol
8. I don't actually remember if that was a thing back then.

1. probably not
2. Heroic Opportunities are still in game, they're just not relevant at higher tiers so nobody disrupts their spell rotation to do them. Since the game launched with the HO mechanic, they will certainly be in on Origins.
3. The Carpenter recipe for Rosewood Patch Kits came out in February 2006, so yes they should be in.
4. Climbing was added in DoF in 2005, so yes there will be climbing (although there aren't any climbable surfaces in Shattered Lands zones)
5. Nathan Ironforge is a god in mortal flesh, he is eternal.
6. See above.
7. lol
8. I don't actually remember if that was a thing back then.

One slight caveat relating to HOs -

In Ballads of Zimara content, most classes have to use HOs or else there will be sudden periods where you are just unable to do damage and/or take even more damage. At least for the Solos while trying to gear up.

Arandar

HOs as a debuff / buff strip was a mechanic that they added in VoV (I think), you won't see it with any of the original content. Although, even if you're playing on Varsoon, you will need to use HOs for the boss fights in GU125.

Nuhvohk

One slight caveat relating to HOs -

In Ballads of Zimara content, most classes have to use HOs or else there will be sudden periods where you are just unable to do damage and/or take even more damage. At least for the Solos while trying to gear up.
Ah ok, my frame of reference is the current TLE Varsoon. Haven't played Live since Tears of Veeshan, and I don't remember them being useful then.
Good to see they're finding ways to make the older mechanics still worthwhile in the modern expacs, though.

Nuhvohk

They won't be in the game, because the materials needed are in KoS zones.
Not initially, sure. But when the server reaches KoS they will be. The distinction is that they were in KoS originally, and not something added to KoS years later (like a lot of things TLE has in certain expacs that aren't actually "from" that era of the game).

For instance, if it truly is faithful to its era, there won't be a Cloud Mount timeline in KoS, and most of the non-Claymore solo quests will be gone from KoS zones.

Not initially, sure. But when the server reaches KoS they will be. The distinction is that they were in KoS originally, and not something added to KoS years later (like a lot of things TLE has in certain expacs that aren't actually "from" that era of the game).

For instance, if it truly is faithful to its era, there won't be a Cloud Mount timeline in KoS, and most of the non-Claymore solo quests will be gone from KoS zones.

Could still be awhile off once it does launch. Kind of interested to see how the expac cadence ends up being determined when the beta goes up in May. I feel like it won't be quite as easy to clear as current TLEs.