Origins: Can we get a non-rushed TLE this time, please?

Loghain

Never, ever going to happen. The ship has sailed on this one.

Never mind the legal issues relating to what happens if they do this (When you buy a Krono from DB the expectation is that it is for use on all DB-owned games including both EQs), but it's also going to be extremely hard to outright lock a shared non-inventory consumable.

They don't have to buy, sell, or consume the Krono on Origins to get the subscriber benefit.

And if you're referring to player-to-player exchange, look at it this way. Even if they ARE tradeable on Origins still, which is 100% likely, nobody is going to have the plat for the huge exchanges like we see on Live.

There are also many times more plat sinks in the 2005-2006 era than there were at any point in the game's history sans launch.
It is not about plat sinks. Krono on origins can be 1 plat if it is hard to make this amount.

The problem is that this useless item, in term of the gameplay, suddenly starts impacting the actual gameplay! You get people farming stuff just for the sake of this item, skewing economy, encouraging finding exploits, bots camping names and whatever...

If no krono to be exchanged on this server, then there is a very little incentive for farmers and boters to be on this server.

It also affect "normal" players as it distracts in a way that the highest goal of the game is not anymore to enjoy the game, see everything, unlock mysteries and get the best fabled gear, but instead is to earn krono...

And when I see someone on the docks in some very good gear on a horse mount I would know, like in old times, that he earned it and that I have to do better :)

Spellweaver

100% agree with all of this the slower the better content that is rushed to the next expansion always causes me to quit. And I honestly don't want to quit this time because waiting for the next one may or may not happen.

Choot

I hate to divide player base, but I was thought it would be interesting to launch both a slow TLE (like Origins) and a speed run TLE for those die hards that want to do it that way. Something that unlocks expansions every 4 weeks or so. But I'm pretty sure they do not have the bandwidth on the backside to keep something like that going.

Someone is always going to be selling plat on a server. If Krono isn't allowed, then it will be plat selling companies. Might as well keep the devil you know and keep the Krono.
Right, removing Kronos just removes their only legit competition, providing even more of an incentive for them. Removing the ability to sell Krono might reduce prices on the broker a bit, although I'm not entirely convinced of that argument, but it most certainly will not disincentivize third party sellers (on the contrary, since they'll be the only game in town as far as buying plat is concerned). And ultimately that could be far more disruptive overall.

I don't think there's a great solution though. Like you say, probably more of a "devil you know" kind of situation.

Loghain

Right, removing Kronos just removes their only legit competition, providing even more of an incentive for them. Removing the ability to sell Krono might reduce prices on the broker a bit, although I'm not entirely convinced of that argument, but it most certainly will not disincentivize third party sellers (on the contrary, since they'll be the only game in town as far as buying plat is concerned). And ultimately that could be far more disruptive overall.

I don't think there's a great solution though. Like you say, probably more of a "devil you know" kind of situation.
My line of argument against the Krono on the Origins is more in line that it will still be available and desired on the "normal" servers and that the people that are looking forward for this server are the one that wants to go back to the experience they had 20 years ago, and that removes a lot of things that were introduced since going ftp.

I do not think that most of the people looking forward to play on this server is considering buying plat on some shady websites. I don't think that people who are looking forward to play on this server want to just buy their gear instead of earning it by playing the game and socializing with others to achieve common goal.

If I am correct in my assumption that the people that are looking forward to this servers are as described above (and I can be wrong for sure) then the developers should really make this server special in that way and see whether they can make a business case out of it. If I am wrong and it is not profitable to have such a server then it is what it is. But you will never know if you at least do not try.

I played EQ2 exclusively every day since launch and until ftp came to my server (with a brief stop in between when Sony? made decision to sell EU players and close the access to the US servers). What I want is a server that will have no krono, no marketplace except for game services, that is subscription only.

I still log to eq2 from time to time and pay sub for a month or two, and I even got some of the old players back when the TLE server started for the first time. But the experience was "tainted" with new mechanics and gear and marketplace items. And also the progression was too fast. In the old days you really needed at least 6 months to get to the end content (if you were not in the best possible and most dedicated guild). I hope Origins server will only introduce expansions until ROK. Those were the best times imho. ROK had so many of my friends leave the game.

Anyhow, it is sadly a business decision in the end. We cannot get always what we want. But 1 server without krono, microtransactions and subscription only would be a token to the community that is long forgotten and marginalized nowadays.

But maybe this is a wake-up call for 50yo me to finally realize I need to move on :)

Anyhow, best wishes to all players and success to devs.

AA

DENSER

So, It goes without saying that if an Era 2006 server is released, the entire merchandising context must be upgraded as well. If you strive to make this server (and many players form opinions more than positive about this subject), a step must also be taken on this side. In which case experience will be biased.
This idea is what many players have wanted for a long time.
Your idea cannot be sullied by this monetary side.
From my point of view, one does not go without the other. The era 2006 gameplay must be on par with what the game, on the monetary side, could offer at that time.

Nuhvohk

The monetary aspects aren't the devs' decisions to make, that stuff is mandated by the financiers and execs of DBG. Whether or not Krono / MTX / etc will be included is not a matter of "staying faithful to 2006". A business model that was viable in 2006 when EQ2 had 10x the playerbase is not going to cut it in 2024. That's just reality.

DENSER

The monetary aspects aren't the devs' decisions to make, that stuff is mandated by the financiers and execs of DBG. Whether or not Krono / MTX / etc will be included is not a matter of "staying faithful to 2006". A business model that was viable in 2006 when EQ2 had 10x the playerbase is not going to cut it in 2024. That's just reality.
I agree but this is one part that should be taken into account for complete immersion.
Obviously we can dream but we never know ;)

Odinn

I've seen a few people advocating for this, but never any specifics as to why. Care to elaborate?
They inflate the in-game market and pricing very fast. Too fast for a new server. It's difficult to keep up because so many people will just buy Krono and not try to make in-game gold.

Nuhvohk

They inflate the in-game market and pricing very fast. Too fast for a new server. It's difficult to keep up because so many people will just buy Krono and not try to make in-game gold.
Krono's in-game value is determined by the level of plat in circulation, not the other way around. Inflation is CAUSED by people making in-game gold, and then trading it with players (directly or on the broker) more than giving it to merchants/vendors (thus keeping it circulating in the player economy).

The potential detriment of Krono is that it provides incentive for people to farm plat on the server when they otherwise wouldn't, so that they can sell the Krono they make on third-party sites for real money. And as people in this thread have pointed out already, if Krono didn't exist, these same Krono farmers would likely just sell the plat directly anyway. The convenience of Krono may make this easier, but removing Krono wouldn't eliminate this behavior entirely.

If your goal is to counter inflation, having more plat-sinks (merchants, higher broker fees, higher repair bills, etc) is far more effective than banning Krono would be. Ironically, the 0% broker fee boxes that come in the TLE "packs" people buy do far more to harm the economy long-term, because they remove the 20-40% "plat tax" for broker transactions; removing one of the main ways coin exits the player economy.

Last edited:

Evilary

Krono being revamped to be sell-able on the broker but not tradable might be the only way to knock out some issues. The problem is you work to change something for the better, you have someone in the background finding a way around it. If you cannot trade Krono for items, third party sites will pop up to let you buy the item for real cash. It's a no win situation in the long run. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

DENSER

It's not a question of being excited by the kronos or not, but rather of taking into account this important pattern which did not exist at the Time.
Hence the interest in talking about it , like the return to 2006 gameplay Era.
Obviously, I imagine that this will always be included, and Like Evilary : better to know the devil etc.
but asking the question and giving our opinion is not sad.
This subject directly influences the server, and almost indirectly its gameplay.

Odinn

It's a bit sad to see that ppl are more excited about krono/no krono then about the old stat system and the old EQ2 overall we've been waiting for so long. How true is that is still a good question :)
People are definitely excited about the more original version of EQ2, but Krono is a serious issue if you have played any of the previous TLE's.