No appearance items on Marketplace, Please!!

Kyen

However, the Origins server needs to make money so the devs can eat and the server can be maintained/updated. I would strongly urge the Darkpaw team to consider other monetization options. For example:

• An additional "Citizen's" subscription level of a few extra dollars for Origins that gives you greater access to the developers and voting rights on proposed features to help guide the direction that Origins takes over time, somewhat similar to what Jagex do with OSRS.

I understand the intent, but strongly disagree. Everyone's $15/mo should give them the same amount of input, access and voting rights as everyone else. This is a video game, not the U.S. Congress.

bensonx

I get that microtransactions are required for a F2P game but this server is restricted to subscribers. It seems a lost cause, I know it's going to happen, but if you're paying to play already... maybe don't wring out every dollar and have people running around looking like a christmas tree.

Maybe a solution would be to allow us the option to toggle appearance gear? i.e. I choose to see appearance gear across the board. Not just me but everyone. I choose no and appearance slots don't display for me, I see everyone's equipped gear.

Jadefox2

I agree! It would be a major turn off and a kick in the feet to have cosmetics in the store.

I don't think a limited marketplace would be welcomed by many, in fact I think rather the opposite. The server requires a subscription to pay, so there isn't any free players using up resources on said server. There shouldn't be any kind of cosmetics at all in there. Perhaps at most, a name or race change, account things like that.
I'd welcome a limited marketplace.
  • Housing items, houses, and appearance items would be fine IMO.
  • I'd frown at Bags and equipment and stat giving pets.
  • I REALLY don't want too many (if ANY) items that increase a player's power,
But NO Marketplace seems highly unlikely, and I like to play dress-up when playing with my electronic dolls...

Maergoth

Limit appearance gear to what we loot in game. Charge a few bucks for a single wardrobe slots. No goofy world of warcraft looking armor running around in t5. Don't unlock any by default, or let people use appearance slots for free.

This way you're paying for every item you want to convert to appearance, and people will do this often, and over long periods of time if it's priced right. Instead of a single dinky purchase or none at all.

Monetizing appearance is absolutely necessary to avoid monetizing power. But there are great ways to monetize appearance without breaking form, and starting out with all appearance slots unlocked and throwing plastic armor on the marketplace ain't it for recurring purchases.

GabenBison

If there was any good looking armor to be had in the game I'd agree keep Marketplace away. But it's mostly bland poo colored copy pastes.
I'd say up until EoF and RoK, the selection was quite bland. Primarily it was due to the complexity of the engine at the time and how 3d model makers had to wrestle with it. So you'd have all these concept arts in the loading screen show off really cool weapons and helmet designs, but none of it in the game outside the most basic. I remember when KoS introduced the unique class helmets, which was a big deeal because variety was extremely limited up to that point, some of them great and others not so great (see: Paladin bucket head), but it finally gave something outside of the few ingame.
Some really nice designs in past 14 years that are great, not all of them, but I'd like to see a curated list added to the Origins server as appearance replacements for armor and weapons loot. Not that it will happen, but its wishful thinking.
Just please don't disable the Apperance tab in Origins though. That's such a nice addition to keep in.

zareph007

Why would you not want appearance items in the shop? Or different mount designs?

Look at it this way, DBG is a company and a company needs to see profit. When does a company decide to expand on a product and apply more resources to it? By seeing that product generate good profit.

So in other words, I'm all for a marketplace with appearance items and whatever does not affect the actual gameplay and not make this a P2W server. Solely for the fact that it would increase profit and give increased chance of survivability of the server. The more money they make the more dev resources they will put on this server, which then translates to a more healthy populated server if things are successful.

Or would you prefer no marketplace with no appearance items, but a company that gives less dev resources to this TLE? The bottom line is simple, something needs to be sacrificed in order to make the company happy. Without enough profit coming in they will not care about keeping this server happy.

Blyth

Count me as a vote for appearance stuff. It is a good way to help us not be forced to look at all rusty armor, not affect mechanics or p2w situation, and keep the games I like running (ie: pay the rents and salaries, etc.) It is a good middle ground.
100%. The cloth gear that drops really is quite horrible through the first several expansions. It's distractingly bad.

Or would you prefer no marketplace with no appearance items, but a company that gives less dev resources to this TLE? The bottom line is simple, something needs to be sacrificed in order to make the company happy. Without enough profit coming in they will not care about keeping this server happy.
Usually I am all for appearance gear. I have spend a lot of money on it before. I do of course want the company to make money, but I have hopes that the fact that the server is back to the original (or close to) will bring back players and that way make money instead.
I'm hoping that the quality of game play is gonna attract rather than appearance gear.
I honestly don't think people look that bad. People did really good mixing stuff back then with what they had.

One of these pictures are before we had appearance slots, and I totally agree that it looks hideous. The other three are of my mystic and I think she looked good wearing different items that was found in quests and rewards. Maybe those items are not in game yet. But you have way to look good now too.

Attachments

• n.JPG
    n.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 5
  • v1.JPG
    v1.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 7
  • v2.JPG
    v2.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 4
  • v 3.JPG
    v 3.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 11

Saint Sora

My opinion is to absolutely release all cosmetic items including LoN items & all mounts. They are cosmetic only and they are not what I would think a reasonable person would say are immersion-breaking (like a giant pink flamingo car mount.) A large majority of my enjoyment in a game comes down to my character's appearance, and I do not think it's reasonable to allow someone else's view of how my character looks dictate how my character looks. Ideally visually appealing cosmetic items would be earnable within the game, however, such items are few and far in-between & most don't even start appearing until many xpacs in.

Kittik

Couldn't care less about appearance items, or appearance mounts.

Just please dont add +stat items to the marketplace.
Please don't add backpacks to the marketplace.
Please don't add loot boxes or harvestable to the marketplace.
(and I think I'm already too late on this one) But please!!! don't add experiance pots to the marketplace!

Cusashorn

Couldn't care less about appearance items, or appearance mounts.

Just please dont add +stat items to the marketplace.
This game has never been pay to win. You cannot buy gear upgrades on the marketplace. Never could, and never will.

BEFORE THE REST OF YOU START COMPLAINING!
No, I do not consider the Heritage Crates to be Pay to Win. You think that getting a stat buff that you have a 0.000000000001% chance of obtaining counts as pay to win? Why do you care so much about being the best? You're never going to be the number 1 shadowknight on the server no matter how hard you try or what luck comes your way to get you there. You only think this game has "Pay to win" mechanics because you think that you need to be better than everyone else. It's not like those buffs instantly turn you into a god that lets you solo current expansion raid zones or anything.
You really think the mount that comes with the most expensive edition of the expansion really gives you a significant leg up on getting started? The moment you start researching the mounts after the adventure questline, everyone catches up to you because it levels the playing field.I
If you really think this game has ever been "Pay to Win", then that sounds like a personal problem. Even XP potions are hardly an advantage. So you reached level 50 1 day before the next person. What vast amounts of power do you think that gave you?

zareph007

Even XP potions are hardly an advantage. So you reached level 50 1 day before the next person. What vast amounts of power do you think that gave you?
This is so true lol. I always see others complaining here about xp potions being sold. But I always say "Why?" . Personally, I would not buy them. But those that buy them and achieve max level before me. What real advantage have they gained over me except obtain max level faster and maybe ran a dungeon or two before me?

Eventually we all will catch up. The only difference is DBG got some money in their pocket so someone could level up a bit faster, that's all. Sometimes I feel the things that people complain about with this games micro transactions is so trivial.

Although I do agree +stat related items shouldn't be included. I don't really like them. But it is true what you say though, the stats provided are so small that they don't really essentially give any real advantage and not really considered P2W. If this game had anything remote to P2W I would not even consider playing this server. But DBG's track record suggests I will not have to worry about it.

If someone wants a bigger bag, so what? Let them buy it, you don't have to. Nor will it affect you. We will have the same bags(which were plenty big enough for me) that you could obtain when playing this game when it first came out.

Evilary

This game has never been pay to win. You cannot buy gear upgrades on the marketplace. Never could, and never will.

BEFORE THE REST OF YOU START COMPLAINING!
No, I do not consider the Heritage Crates to be Pay to Win. You think that getting a stat buff that you have a 0.000000000001% chance of obtaining counts as pay to win? Why do you care so much about being the best? You're never going to be the number 1 shadowknight on the server no matter how hard you try or what luck comes your way to get you there. You only think this game has "Pay to win" mechanics because you think that you need to be better than everyone else. It's not like those buffs instantly turn you into a god that lets you solo current expansion raid zones or anything.
You really think the mount that comes with the most expensive edition of the expansion really gives you a significant leg up on getting started? The moment you start researching the mounts after the adventure questline, everyone catches up to you because it levels the playing field.I
If you really think this game has ever been "Pay to Win", then that sounds like a personal problem. Even XP potions are hardly an advantage. So you reached level 50 1 day before the next person. What vast amounts of power do you think that gave you?
So you don't consider things like spell upgrades which you can speed up with DBC or Mount levels which lets you add stuff to gear as PTW? I guess you don't consider that boost thing they released a while back which let you skip all the lower mounts and go right to the Darkpaw mount with superior stats to others as PTW? Not to forget it also gave you status and tokens to purchase gear faster than someone who didn't pay to win!

Zenji

Even XP potions are hardly an advantage. So you reached level 50 1 day before the next person.
On the Origins server you are right. Assuming the XP are only the 5-10% we were told is no big deal.

However on previous TLEs, if you stack all the potions you are literally leveling 350% faster than someone who is not using any.

Rijacki

On the Origins server you are right. Assuming the XP are only the 5-10% we were told is no big deal.

However on previous TLEs, if you stack all the potions you are literally leveling 350% faster than someone who is not using any.
Someone who can play 40+ hours in a week vs someone who can only play less than 20 in week is literally leveling at an extremely faster pace.

Zenji

Someone who can play 40+ hours in a week vs someone who can only play less than 20 in week is literally leveling at an extremely faster pace.
and that 40 vs 20 hours doesn't even come close to touching the difference in the XP pot stacking we saw on other TLEs.
350% = 4.5 times faster
so if you play 20 hours a week with no pots and someone else plays 20 hours a week and stacks them all
it will take you 90 hours to get the same XP they did in 20.