No appearance items on Marketplace, Please!!

Boldac

I appreciate the Appearance Slots being available, despite not being present in 2006, but prefer to fill them with items I have earned in-game rather than purchased with cash. No need for your character to look a mess or ditch your favorite armor set because you have found something with better stats.
Appearance gear, whether earned in game or bought in the marketplace, has zero affect on gameplay. Nor does it impact the gameplay of others. If they are going to have a marketplace, this is what it should contain. I'm not going to get in to the age old discussion of being able to earn appearance items in game vs the marketplace. We had the fight long ago and the marketplace won.
However, the Origins server needs to make money so the devs can eat and the server can be maintained/updated. I would strongly urge the Darkpaw team to consider other monetization options. For example:

• An additional "Citizen's" subscription level of a few extra dollars for Origins that gives you greater access to the developers and voting rights on proposed features to help guide the direction that Origins takes over time, somewhat similar to what Jagex do with OSRS.
We already see this on live servers and the latest TLE. People using their wallet to "vote" by way of Krono, swiping their cards for gear and P2W character upgrades. We don't need the wallet whales dictating things on this server too.
  • A Marketplace, but very carefully done to keep the visual tone of this era consistent
  • Paid for live events on Origins servers, e.g. using the Marketplace the buy entry into a League like event
    A League event which requires you to purchase a new character for entry, with a race through tasks, levels etc, would be a great way to keep the game fresh and lower level zones populated with PCs.
Again, this gets away of the "classic EQ2" and charges right down the path to making it another credit card swipe-fest like Varsoon.

Appearance items (armor, weapons, mounts, pets, etc.), house decorations, even house deeds have zero impact on someone elses gameplay. The second you start charging for items that impact the game via better stats or buy-in events that reward any sort of gear with stats or allow people to pay for power (either by items or "voting rights") you have killed the spirit of this server.

Vlahkmaak

I really hope some of the Devs read this as I think it is important!
Please preserve this server as it is truly a gem. Do not add any of the modern appearance items on the upcoming marketplace. We have been given the slots for appearance items. Let us use the in game crafted gear, the drops etc. Don't ruin this with flashy appearance items, pet Illusions, mounts.

Let us preserve this as it is as much as possible. You have given us our beloved cities back, our suburbs. For that, us veterans are grateful!
If you have to add any appearance items, then maybe those that make you able to hide "shoulders, hands, forearms", etc. But nothing else!
We have some truly nice gear in the game already.

Personally, I don't care about fluff being offered on the marketplace and would like to see harvest/fuel depots and things like this. I would hate to see something like overseers added though or anything better than what can be found in game for adventure slots.

Euphrasie

I really hope some of the Devs read this as I think it is important!
Please preserve this server as it is truly a gem. Do not add any of the modern appearance items on the upcoming marketplace. We have been given the slots for appearance items. Let us use the in game crafted gear, the drops etc. Don't ruin this with flashy appearance items, pet Illusions, mounts.

Let us preserve this as it is as much as possible. You have given us our beloved cities back, our suburbs. For that, us veterans are grateful!
If you have to add any appearance items, then maybe those that make you able to hide "shoulders, hands, forearms", etc. But nothing else!
We have some truly nice gear in the game already.
Yes, Direct power upgrades in the marketplace only please! /s

More seriously, EQ1 has a toggle that shows or hides the cosmetic armor, if EQ2 doesn't have one, have you considered asking to have one put in?

Ryni

Bard since 2004
I appreciate the Appearance Slots being available, despite not being present in 2006, but prefer to fill them with items I have earned in-game rather than purchased with cash. No need for your character to look a mess or ditch your favorite armor set because you have found something with better stats.

However, the Origins server needs to make money so the devs can eat and the server can be maintained/updated. I would strongly urge the Darkpaw team to consider other monetization options. For example:

• An additional "Citizen's" subscription level of a few extra dollars for Origins that gives you greater access to the developers and voting rights on proposed features to help guide the direction that Origins takes over time, somewhat similar to what Jagex do with OSRS.
  • A Marketplace, but very carefully done to keep the visual tone of this era consistent
  • Paid for live events on Origins servers, e.g. using the Marketplace the buy entry into a League like event
A League event which requires you to purchase a new character for entry, with a race through tasks, levels etc, would be a great way to keep the game fresh and lower level zones populated with PCs.
Just NO, Anashti will already require a sub, we don't need an extra level just to be able to vote on things for the server we are already paying to play on. As far as live events being paid for this is NOT LoL. Let the devs actually make the entire server work well and not bog down the tiny dev team we have with buy in events. Many players have played the previous TLEs and been waiting for more of an "old school" sort of play and this is finally our chance. Please stop trying to bring in extra things for them to do when they already have way too much to focus on.

Felindar

Appearance gear, whether earned in game or bought in the marketplace, has zero affect on gameplay. Nor does it impact the gameplay of others. If they are going to have a marketplace, this is what it should contain. I'm not going to get in to the age old discussion of being able to earn appearance items in game vs the marketplace. We had the fight long ago and the marketplace won.

We already see this on live servers and the latest TLE. People using their wallet to "vote" by way of Krono, swiping their cards for gear and P2W character upgrades. We don't need the wallet whales dictating things on this server too.

Again, this gets away of the "classic EQ2" and charges right down the path to making it another credit card swipe-fest like Varsoon.

Appearance items (armor, weapons, mounts, pets, etc.), house decorations, even house deeds have zero impact on someone elses gameplay. The second you start charging for items that impact the game via better stats or buy-in events that reward any sort of gear with stats or allow people to pay for power (either by items or "voting rights") you have killed the spirit of this server.
I think your points are fair. I'd rather pay a higher sub for the server than any of the alternative monetization options; my main point is that for longevity the Origins server needs to turn a profit.

I broadly agree with you on appearance items etc, though I think 2006-era EQ2 has a different visual aesthetic to newer incarnations of the game. That is where "zero impact on someone else's game play" may not hold true. Adding a toggle to hide appearance items would fix that though.

Maergoth

They should charge aggressively for wardrobe slots and to unlock appearance gear at all. Even if they don't sell appearance gear on the marketplace, at least then you can mix and match what you do find.

Obviously nobody wants a marketplace at all. That's not a secret. But given the choice between cosmetic items and gameplay items.. cosmetics, please.

Maergoth

Flashy should be EARNED in-game, not purchased for real world currency. If you wanna be flashy, stay away from old school servers.
I agree with this heavily, which is why I like the idea of monetizing wardrobe and appearance SLOTS themselves. At least then you can only appear to be what you've earned, without having to be some meme of piecemeal nonsense. Which is classic, I get it, but probably not part of any kind of vision.
Cool thing about the wardrobe slots specifically, if they could skip appearance slots, is we'd have to choose carefully what we add, it wouldn't just.. permanently unlock whatever appearance we want

Last edited:

Dreamessa

*snip* Flashy outfits and mount DO actually hurt the game. And if you really really want that, and don't like the way this game looks then please go to Varsoon or Live or any other asian game where the outfits are really flashy.*snip*
I would hardly call the armor in the marketplace "flashy". Just because it's actually matching, and more detailed, than the armor you can get in basegame/early xpacks does not make it "flashy". Flashy is like GW2 armor where it's so bright it actually hinders your gameplay because you can't see mechanics around the rainbow glow effects. Or TERA/BnS where the armor is immersion breaking (like cop/nurse uniforms/lingerie/etc).

Also, just my opinion, but a little rude to tell someone to go play elsewhere just because they disagree with you.

Sentrasia

All of this sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Every player should have the same weight to their votes. You change it so those with the more expensive sub have a higher weight and you'll end up with the whales voting to bring in p2w mechanics.

Origins doesn't seem like it's intended to be a race or seasons server. I think most of us would prefer not to see it turn into that. Definitely don't want to pay addition subs just for short term events. If this is something you want I suggest making a thread asking for that separate from origins.

Ceciliantas

Im kinda left and right on this subject. For one thing, I would like as much classic feel as possible. But for the other, I really like the Paladin Antonica armor set, the one with the stags on it, no helmet, with the cloak that has the moving clouds effect for my Seraphim Appearance Human Paladin.

Tbh, I quit EQ2 before even the first expansion came out, due to various reasons, and always regretted never getting to really experience it, expansion to expansion. Im fine with whatever they do, marketplace, no marketplace, I just hope I can find a active raiding guild with good minded people to do the adventure with.

Riaak

People love customizing their appearance, so no reason to take it out. Appearance gear on marketplace is definitely better than some of the other things that could be on there.

Also, just my opinion, but a little rude to tell someone to go play elsewhere just because they disagree with you.
What I mean is for example we have had people come to the other TLE's moaning they want things that they have on Live. Trying their best to get everything that is making life easier on Live into TLE. Ruining the experience bit by bit. Just because they don't like the things that are missing on TLE. So perhaps that server isn't for them?
Same here. If people don't like the idea of trying to do the best they can with this server then perhaps they should go to the Varsoon server where we have all the new outfits, cool horses and stuff that does NOT remind of what the game used to be like.

After all isn't that what this server is all about? Bring us back to those old days? That is why they gave us back the old look of the towns for example. Some of us are very happy to be back in the old days and we are happy to preserve it. People need to learn to appreciate the simple things in life. Do your best with what has been given to you. We have several appearance slots. Those can be used with the in game gear. I have seen tons of good looking characters over the years. We have vendors in game that sell gear. Drops, quest gear and so on.

Buggabug

I have all sorts of things I'd like to say, but I'm going to leave it at I strongly disagree with not having appearance items on a limited marketplace. My apppearance doesn't hurt anyone or give me any unfair advantage for combat. As for nostalgia, if anyone wants to wear mismatched gear, go for it, it's not going to hurt my feelings.

I have all sorts of things I'd like to say, but I'm going to leave it at I strongly disagree with not having appearance items on a limited marketplace. My apppearance doesn't hurt anyone or give me any unfair advantage for combat. As for nostalgia, if anyone wants to wear mismatched gear, go for it, it's not going to hurt my feelings.
Yes, but you see, we need YOU to wear random looking gear otherwise you're ruining OUR gameplay experience.

How? I don't know yet, haven't gotten to that point yet.

But seriously, appearance gear hurts noone and is a very simple way of keeping the market active - bringing in extra cash to the devs and not hurting the game. And we do want the devs to earn money btw, otherwise the whole thing is dead very quickly.

Last edited:
But seriously, appearance gear hurts noone and is a very simple way of keeping the market active
True, but for example, they game us back the old looks of the cities and people LOVE it. Why?, because that is what the game looked like when we started it and the new "modern" "flashy" look that Freeport and Qeynos got was a huge turn off for many people who love the old look of the game.

Llopod

this is the dumbest thing i have yet to see on forums.

Nuhvohk

I'm gonna pull a Maergoth here and say that if their goal is to emulate 2006 and provide as classic an experience as possible, that includes 2006-era aesthetics. Some of the Marketplace armor is fine (stuff like the Ironforge Parade armor), but the stuff with animated textures like the Soulscorned doesn't look remotely similar to what other armors we have currently on Origins. It sticks out like a sore thumb and ruins the nostalgic illusion of Origins. Same with mounts, petamorphs, etc. The Billy Moppet illusion would be OK, since that was added pretty early on in the vet awards cycle, and Moppet NPCs exist in the current era in places like Nek Castle, so it's aesthetically appropriate. But anything that came out post-2010 when EQ2 lost its sense of consistent artistic direction should stay off of the Origins marketplace (ideally, of course; I'm not so naive as to think it will actually happen).

Kattt

Count me as a vote for appearance stuff. It is a good way to help us not be forced to look at all rusty armor, not affect mechanics or p2w situation, and keep the games I like running (ie: pay the rents and salaries, etc.) It is a good middle ground.