No appearance items on Marketplace, Please!!

I really hope some of the Devs read this as I think it is important!
Please preserve this server as it is truly a gem. Do not add any of the modern appearance items on the upcoming marketplace. We have been given the slots for appearance items. Let us use the in game crafted gear, the drops etc. Don't ruin this with flashy appearance items, pet Illusions, mounts.

Let us preserve this as it is as much as possible. You have given us our beloved cities back, our suburbs. For that, us veterans are grateful!
If you have to add any appearance items, then maybe those that make you able to hide "shoulders, hands, forearms", etc. But nothing else!
We have some truly nice gear in the game already.

Attachments

• 537097_574605762563464_827036901_n.jpg
    537097_574605762563464_827036901_n.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 11

Penance

I strongly disagree, because there's not any good looking armor in the game, AND the moppet doll is great for smaller races who have always appeared too large in the game--ratongas, gnomes, frogloks. I know, I know: to each their own. But if you enjoy the ugly, mis-matched armor, or everyone of your class wearing your starting class armor, enjoy wearing what you want. I'd suggest not limiting the rest of us. The marketplace also earns the game some money, so a limited marketplace would be welcome to many.

Cusashorn

Outside of the brawler gis, the game's graphical fidelity torwards armors didn't start to really look good until Echoes of Faydwer. I know the art team did their best back in the day, and each expansion intentionally has it's own aesthetic. Desert of Flame started introducing "Shiny" armor that used new graphical applications, but the old-world game didn't have much beyond "rusted" armor at low levels and the Rubicite Platemail and Ebon Platemail armor at level 50 being about the most majestic you could look.

Keep in mind that 2011 brought about an overhaul of equipment across the entire game, permanently removing certain appearances in favor of armor that supposedly had better and more accessible stats. I haven't played on the beta yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the black and white brawler gi as a reward for the "New Clothes... NOW!" quest in Antonica. It originally didn't even have a reward at the game's launch, and there was much more variety before it hit.

Duffy

My character always looked like it had raided the clothes recycling bin and I specifically switched to small races so I wouldn't have to look at the eyesore too much in detail. So I wouldn't mind the marketplace supplying armor for appearance. And speaking of the marketplace, I wouldn't mind its building blocks and props for housing either. Like, at all :D

Jack Pipsam

I agree! It would be a major turn off and a kick in the feet to have cosmetics in the store.

I strongly disagree, because there's not any good looking armor in the game, AND the moppet doll is great for smaller races who have always appeared too large in the game--ratongas, gnomes, frogloks. I know, I know: to each their own. But if you enjoy the ugly, mis-matched armor, or everyone of your class wearing your starting class armor, enjoy wearing what you want. I'd suggest not limiting the rest of us. The marketplace also earns the game some money, so a limited marketplace would be welcome to many.
I don't think a limited marketplace would be welcomed by many, in fact I think rather the opposite. The server requires a subscription to pay, so there isn't any free players using up resources on said server. There shouldn't be any kind of cosmetics at all in there. Perhaps at most, a name or race change, account things like that.

Me having a pretty outfit isn't going to hurt anyone's gameplay. Xp pots, status potions, harvestables that's the kind of stuff we should be worried about.
I'm not sure you see the whole picture. Flashy outfits and mount DO actually hurt the game. And if you really really want that, and don't like the way this game looks then please go to Varsoon or Live or any other asian game where the outfits are really flashy.

See it this way. If you heard someone saying they want to make a Café with an old time feel. Then why would you put some modern wallpapers in it? You should stick to the theme as much as possible.

Duffy

I'm not sure you see the whole picture. Flashy outfits and mount DO actually hurt the game. And if you really really want that, and don't like the way this game looks then please go to Varsoon or Live or any other asian game where the outfits are really flashy.

See it this way. If you heard someone saying they want to make a Café with an old time feel. Then why would you put some modern wallpapers in it? You should stick to the theme as much as possible.
I don't really understand the hyperbole here. I don't like how mismatched the clothes on my character are, that doesn't mean I "don't like the way this game looks". Items I frequently bought were the ones which could hide the clothes on shoulders and hands, for example. Also Billy, to reduce the size on my character. Oh, the humanity, right. Just because there are more option in the shop doesn't mean people want to run around bling-bling looking. What I buy in the shop is literally the opposite of flashy (and asian-game loving... just lol to that), it's just not ugly.

Rijacki

What one person things is hideous, another might think looks great and/or is fun. If you don't like other people having fun, you might not want to play MMOGs.

I suspect the Marketplace and Claims will be as unlocked as they are on any other TLE starting with early game content.

Rozyn

You're welcome to have your character stick to the theme, but some of us enjoy looking at our characters and not having them be muddy skittles. You have zero examples of how appearance items hurt the game other than your personal preference, meanwhile the income generated from the cash shop quite literally helps the game.

Ryni

Bard since 2004
The two things I am ok having on the marketplace is appearance armor/weapons and housing items. These are not pay to win things and only enhance some folks gameplay. And it still makes money for Darkpaw without putting in the dreaded high percent experience potions or mounts with ridiculous stats. I also do NOT want to see betrayal tokens or auto level tokens either. They have to make money somewhere and already said a "limited" marketplace would be on Anashti, so let it be appearance and housing decor only.

Sixgauge

I usually spend like 40 or 50 bucks on appearance gear for a character, but sure take it out lol... I wouldn't mind the savings.

I normally LOVE appearance items. But not when we have some of those that are in the marketplace that wasn't here at launch. This game tries to replicate the old game, then I don't want to see a spectral horse or huge bunny jumping around or a fire horse.
Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm just afraid things will turn to the same s*hit like it has on the TLE's every time. They promise an old time server and suddenly we see more and more modern stuff.
I know people are hating on this but if you make a medieval village, the last thing you want to see is armor and mounts from the future just because people don't like what the current ones look like. Suddenly the server has lost it's soul and all we have is a server with slow pace and no soul.

Felindar

I appreciate the Appearance Slots being available, despite not being present in 2006, but prefer to fill them with items I have earned in-game rather than purchased with cash. No need for your character to look a mess or ditch your favorite armor set because you have found something with better stats.

However, the Origins server needs to make money so the devs can eat and the server can be maintained/updated. I would strongly urge the Darkpaw team to consider other monetization options. For example:

• An additional "Citizen's" subscription level of a few extra dollars for Origins that gives you greater access to the developers and voting rights on proposed features to help guide the direction that Origins takes over time, somewhat similar to what Jagex do with OSRS.
  • A Marketplace, but very carefully done to keep the visual tone of this era consistent
  • Paid for live events on Origins servers, e.g. using the Marketplace the buy entry into a League like event
A League event which requires you to purchase a new character for entry, with a race through tasks, levels etc, would be a great way to keep the game fresh and lower level zones populated with PCs.

Last edited: