Suggestion Year of The Darkpaw Celebration Event

Barwyn

Why oh why are you making this event mage and priest unfriendly? New vendor and still no mage range slot item.

Simple question. Why would you put a ranged item for sale for fighters and scouts only and not for mages and priests?

What you are doing is driving new and returning people away from the game. Look at my guild for example. We attract new and returning casual players. When this event started everyone was excited when they saw the weapons on the first vendor.

I also heard their comments when it became clear that this event wasn't for them and they stopped playing the game.

Believe it or not, most people that play your game, don't post anything on your forums, they just stop playing. You have people that are coming back after years and you are doing nothing but driving them away again.

So simple question. Why did you design an event you hyped as a celebration of the game and screw over half your classes?

More complex question. Why are you refusing to put a ranged item for mages and priests on your vendors?

I realize now that no one from the company will lower themselves to answer any of the questions nor the reasoning why they are choosing to drive people away versus opening their eyes and doing something pretty simple to retain people.

It's too late for a lot of people that have already gone. Why not try to keep the other returning people around?

I for one am tired of meeting new people and hearing their frustration and then having them disappear again.

Cusashorn

Are you going to make this thread again for Mithanial Marr and Drinal next month as well? They'll get one before October sooner or later.

Evilary

There is no reason they could not have had these on a vendor by February at the latest. Making half the classes in the game wait till October to get the same access to gear that the rest get is hardly fair. Personally, I gave up caring and say that is where a whole lot more are headed. While this event sounds neat and cool, there is too much grind, grind, grind for Year of Darkpaw to be anything remotely fun at this point.

Gninja

Raid Dev
Staff member
Developer
The Wand of Divine Devotion is available from any of the merchants in the event, though you are correct that it costs a little more since its a shared item. Each camp can only have 2 non-shared items so some items might show up specifically for avatar camps with lower price as more items release. Most of the items chosen were specific items that those Avatars had thematically or had specific appearances made for them long ago. There have been many ways to obtain the currency for these items as well as the Bristlebane camp adding additional ways to get them once it has been completed. It looks like most servers will have it unlocked fairly soon and then it won't be as difficult to get the Masquerade tokens needed to fill out slots. There were/are no intentions to not include specific classes in this event.

Cusashorn

Solusek Ro is likely to arrive in July during Scorched Sky, and he's thematically linked to magic and spellcasters. He'll probably have a non-mask wand available.

Anashti Sul is already confirmed to be arriving in May or June, and she's the Goddess of Undeath, who many evil priests worship. Maybe she'll have something.

Barwyn

My whole point is ranged items should have been range items for all at the same time. Not wait for months and months. To make things worse, they added a wand that costs masks about the same time they added a bow that doesn't cost masks.

If they want to do magic themed stuff in July cool. Has nothing to due with depriving 1/2 the classes of a ranged item.

Barwyn

Gninja, First thank you for answering my question. Your company taking months to answer a simple question is a problem and it is one reason that returning people come back to the game and then leave again.

You may have not intended that 1/2 the classes to be excluded but that is what you (Darkpaw) did. The easy thing for you to have done was to change the bow to a xbow or add a ranged items for mages and priests.

Your unwillingness to budge and say hey we made a mistake and here we are going to do this to fix our mistake is the problem.

Up to you, do you want your game to grow by retaining new and returning people or do you want to continue to see it shrink?

It's way past time to change your mind set from we are the only game in town, don't like it, leave. Hate to break it to you your not.

If I didn't enjoy playing the game so much and hate hearing the frustration in peoples voices, I wouldn't bother posting.

Gninja

Raid Dev
Staff member
Developer
The items available in the event have already been set and can't really be changed without a pretty major rework. What it comes down to is you can get it fast and get the higher priced one or you can get it cheap and wait till one of the camps has the slot you are wanting to upgrade. It's not an unwillingness to budge more so than it is having the time to make the change to how the system works without it affecting other parts of the system. We do appreciate your feedback on it but at this time there are no plans to change it. It is the same situation for other classes with shields and brawler style weapons.

Barwyn

Both can use 2 handers and bow to get the preq resolve for H1/H2 and raiding. Mage and priest is behind. They have to farm stupidly rare masks. Friends duoing, the scout buys a charm, the mage buys a wand (still behind in resolve) so on, so on ... Both people in this example, left the game after sharing this as the last straw in grinding the resolve to do H1s with their mage friend left in the cold.

If Masks are easier to obtain then your point may carry more weight but they are not.

We both know that resolve is the stat that allows you to do H1s +

I disagree that there is nothing you can do. Take off mask req for the wand you introduced and add wand with mask req later on, add wand to the vendor that sells the bow, change the bow to a xbow for all, or take the mask req off the existing xbow. You (Your dev team) are choosing to do nothing and losing returning people in the process.

Read the hype your PR dept put out when this so called celebration started, It doesnt strain the imagination why people are pissed.

Most people do not read and even more never reply on the forums. If returning people are saying this in my guild, then there are many others as well.

Barwyn

I took a look at all the vendors for this "celebration" and it just hit me. There are several types of weapons. Unless I'm mistaken, the stats are identical and the only difference is the graphic.

You insist on placing new graphics on the vendors and no affordable (to new/returning people) on any of the vendors with the excuse that coming up will be the appropriate theme for them.

Being that 1/2 of the classes hail from Freeport, there are plenty of themed camps that the ranged item would fit nicely.

I find it very telling that the only dev response is from the Raid dev.

Taled

I took a look at all the vendors for this "celebration" and it just hit me. There are several types of weapons. Unless I'm mistaken, the stats are identical and the only difference is the graphic.

You insist on placing new graphics on the vendors and no affordable (to new/returning people) on any of the vendors with the excuse that coming up will be the appropriate theme for them.

Being that 1/2 of the classes hail from Freeport, there are plenty of themed camps that the ranged item would fit nicely.

I find it very telling that the only dev response is from the Raid dev.
Gninja is the dev responsible for the majority of the Year of Darkpaw adventuring content, as it is raid content with the exception of the missions - but I believe he also did the missions.

While he is primarily the raid dev, that is not his only role. Much like Kander is the lead dev, but he doesn't only manage the work the other devs do, he also does things like create some of the dungeons, quests, etc. Kaitheel is the quest/lore dev, but he also does the live events. Denmum is the tradeskill dev, but she also does some of the non-tradeskill content.

You can keep whining about the 'problem' all you want, but it isn't going to get you anywhere. Be happy the option with masks even exists, because it clearly has only caused more problems than it was worth thanks to players like you who can't understand that they are there as a shortcut option for folks who aren't willing to wait for the cheaper option.

Barwyn

Point is and always has been add a ranged item for scouts/fighters, add one for the rest of the classes. Saying that they need to wait for the proper themed avatar doesn't hold water.

And you saying go farm masks but in order to be able to go into H1s, people have to have the resolve. Easier for raiders and people in larger guilds to get their resolve.

Try rolling a new toon, pop a 125 token, use only gear from the box and quest rewards and drops, then try to get a H1 group. No guild buff, no twinking of spells, no vet reward claims etc... etc... (don't forget to turn off all your other bonuses) and I bet you would be singing a different toon. In fact, I would be willing to bet you couldn't without breaking down and using your enhanced resources.

Then find out that you don't have the resolve because you chose a mage to level up you don't have the required resolve for H1s when other classes do because of having to wait to get the same items as scouts/mages.

How are they able to farm masks in zones they can't get groups to go into?

Thred after thred asks when are you going to do anything for new/returning people? Makes me continue to wonder.

Taled

Point is and always has been add a ranged item for scouts/fighters, add one for the rest of the classes. Saying that they need to wait for the proper themed avatar doesn't hold water.

And you saying go farm masks but in order to be able to go into H1s, people have to have the resolve. Easier for raiders and people in larger guilds to get their resolve.

Try rolling a new toon, pop a 125 token, use only gear from the box and quest rewards and drops, then try to get a H1 group. No guild buff, no twinking of spells, no vet reward claims etc... etc... (don't forget to turn off all your other bonuses) and I bet you would be singing a different toon. In fact, I would be willing to bet you couldn't without breaking down and using your enhanced resources.

Then find out that you don't have the resolve because you chose a mage to level up you don't have the required resolve for H1s when other classes do because of having to wait to get the same items as scouts/mages.

How are they able to farm masks in zones they can't get groups to go into?

Thred after thred asks when are you going to do anything for new/returning people? Makes me continue to wonder.
A) How do you think people initially got into heroics? These items didn't exist.
B) Not everyone 'twinks spells' - Some of us rely on crafting experts and dropped/purchased masters - And you don't *need* better than experts for heroics; They're balanced around expert quality spells, with the exception of H3 content.
C) There's absolutely no reason someone wouldn't be able to get a guild buff other than 'I dont want to be in a guild' which.. well, that's on you.
D) The items from the Avatars and Year of Darkpaw are ABSOLUTELY not required for H1 or H2 resolve. As you've been previously told. H1 resolve is 9555. That's 455R in all slots. You can get better than that in *every* slot from the Darkpaw solo zone, including CBOC and double purple items. God forbid you have to put effort into it, though, right?
E) The only person I see constantly asking this question in 'thred after thred [SIC]' is you.

Barwyn

Obviously your not new or returning if you can craft experts and buy masters. Most likely you and I did had last xpacs ancients until we got better.

You are correct that this celebration event isn't required for the group content but it sure does help someone new or returning get up to speed. So why should 1/2 the classes get more of a resolve boost than others has been the question I had ever since they added a bow and not a ranged item for all. It really sucked talking to people that decided to give up on the game again.

My example you quoted was to point out how difficult and frustrating it is for these people and many that would have continued to play have left the game. Give it a try and see how far you get.

As far as my gear, I have the time to spend and my raid toon has the resolve for T3 raids. So ya, I put in the time.

I am the guild leader for a small guild that helps out new and returning people. Instead of silently watching people get frustrated and leave, I decided to relay one thing that is easily corrected that has enraged a lot of people.

Most people don't bother posting or doing feedback, they just get fed up and leave.

Maybe I am the odd duck. I don't hold the opinion that I got mine you can get yours too. I'm I have mine and lets help you get yours too.

Every xpac, people come back and like what they see and each year Darkpaw does something like this and they leave again. It would be awesome to see more people around able to group.

Barwyn

Looking at the Bertoxxulous Vendor..... How sweet could it have been with a wand of this theme. Speaking for my Vamp Necromancer, I would so be rocking it :). The 2 hander is sweet looking!

Barwyn

New Drinal Avatar - Really can't even bother to put a couple new appearance weapons for casters on the vendors?

Why are you excluding the casters? Your words say your aren't buy your actions are screaming otherwise.

Not to mention another missed opportunity to make a cool looking wand.

Cusashorn

You might want to save your breath about complaining about Mithanial Marr (the God of Virtue, Goodness, and all things Paladins) later this month then

Evilary

That's weird, I thought the next was Karana, the Avatar of Storms. Guess Cusashorn knows more than the rest of us.

Then in the middle of the month, find the Herald of Karana <Avatar of Storms> in the Enchanted Lands.