Year of Darkpaw Ask Me Anything Responses

Sturmlocke

Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.
Q: What are the devs favorite zones and/or expansions? Do you have a favorite EQ2 moment, in or out of game?
Ttobey: The zone where Kerafyrm shows up took a lot of work. That little scene took six weeks to put together, but it's still one of my favorites.

EQ2 | Age's End: Kerafyrm's Shattered Fate | Cinematic Raid | V1​

Just wanted to say ditto @ttobey - this one is for you too then mate. Side note, wasn't Kera fully voiced in the past or is it just my mind playing tricks on me? I'm just now finding the time to read through all the Q&A's and will join the feedback discussion once I am done (or at least halfway through). Taking notes already, can only do it step by step right now.

Cheers

Sheyn

... many of these answers seem to be very tone deaf.

An example of a poor dev response:

Q: What is the process of balancing classes on the Dev end? What happens that results in a new set of Meta classes almost every expac and little to no changes to bring other classes up to par?
Caith: This: https://forums.everquest2.com/index.php?forums/class-skill-suggestions.88/

Not just tone deaf, but this came off as lazy ... lol the equivalent of a Customer Service Agent's "transferring you to another department, please hold"

Melime

You know they used to have a Fog of War (what you call hidden until discovered) but got rid of it for broadband issues or something like that. The lack of good maps in the game is why so many people use EQ2Maps. Yes, it's shameful that one has to use 3rd party apps but apparently the devs are good with it that way.

You know, in 2004, this idea - lack of broadband - might've been "normal". Seems like a pretty lazy answer in 2024, where one can run far more advanced apps & programs off one's *phone* today than one could do on their desktop computer twenty years ago. The internet has come a long way - their using "broadband issues" as an excuse in 2024 sounds like they're running the game servers off a hamster wheel!

Again ... WoW & other games work their maps this way. I don't see any of them complaining about map "bandwidth" when it comes to providing even the simplest of maps for their players. I'm not asking to have dungeon maps labeled with every single point of interest. I'm asking why we can't have the *simplest* of maps in dungeons. The fog/clouding of maps would only apply to dungeons, since that's where the dev seems to think the "thrill of discovery" comes from, not the open zone maps, which are already totally viewable as soon as you enter those zones.

Melime

year of the Darkpaw was a horrible release... It's boring to easy to get lost and I have a hard time spawning all the named
It's frustrating to go into the Tradeskill instance from Darkpaw and have a failure on one of the combines. Yes, the combines should (hopefully) be trivial to your tradeskiller, but failures happen nonetheless, and then you can't collect another bush/pelt/whatever needed to go and try the combine again without resetting the instance.