Why 2006?

Xhieron

... I also have rose colored memories of 2004, specifically subclasses, but the reality is that a lot of core systems were fundamentally broken before 2006 - whole classes that simply didn't work, and mechanics like shared xp debt and shards that were almost universally unpopular....

Say more about this? I played in 2004, and the game hadn't really been "solved" at that point, but I don't remember any classes that "didn't work". I assume you mean that some things within certain classes were fundamentally counterintuitive or outclassed by a competitor in every way, but my memory from 20 years ago is not great. I'm genuinely curious. What classes didn't work in 2004, and how were they fixed?

teivos

Say more about this? I played in 2004, and the game hadn't really been "solved" at that point, but I don't remember any classes that "didn't work". I assume you mean that some things within certain classes were fundamentally counterintuitive or outclassed by a competitor in every way, but my memory from 20 years ago is not great. I'm genuinely curious. What classes didn't work in 2004, and how were they fixed?
I believe they mean in the useless way, where you had limited if any slots in a group making gameplay frustrating. To be fair, this was semi-intentional in EQ so they prolly just brought it over and thought it would work again, but player expectations were growing at this point and another EQ had to provide more than just a big world and fancy graphics (which honestly, I'd argue the graphical direction they took in 2004 also hurt them)

Duffy

One was shaman, because their wards did not take mitigation into account. It was in fact quite unpleasant. Sitting around waiting for power after one fight because your signature spells weren't worth much. LU13 fixed this thankfully. They reigned in some healing classes and upped others and it was seriously needed.

Siren

One was shaman, because their wards did not take mitigation into account. It was in fact quite unpleasant. Sitting around waiting for power after one fight because your signature spells weren't worth much. LU13 fixed this thankfully. They reigned in some healing classes and upped others and it was seriously needed.

One of my guildies had a Druid and could barely get through her class quests, because about all she had for damage was a hammer. It took her multiple tries, and she was geared acceptably well for that time period. Healers really needed the help back then. I'm glad Origins is launching at 2006, to be honest.

Avvmo

Shaman comes to mind for me, because I tried to play one. Their core feature, wards, simply did not work as it was designed. They prevented virtually no damage and were high cost, due to them not taking mitigation into account. As a signature feature of the class, and with content tuned to rely on signature heals in group content, shamans were totally pointless for a long time.