Why 2006?

Camoeb

So I'm curious about the new server and thinking about coming back for it. But I have a few questions, Why 2006 and not 2004? Won't this mean we have essentially stats from late DOF or early KOS? Also do we know if there will be the old class structures, Mage becomes Sorcerer which becomes a Wizard at level 20? Will there be access quests to go to new zones like Zek or Enchanted lands? How similar to classic EQ2 will this be?

axxis32

I suspect it might have something to do with the sub-combines for the crafting and the character progression paths, that is when it was changed (no more lvl 10 and 20 quests to progress to mastering your class (personally I liked it)(and perhaps they cant go back much further than that, due to those changes?) and I guess there would be access quests, as it was way back then.

The "true" 2004 experience would probably put more people off than it would tempt in. They probably felt that 2006 is early enough to "feel" more or less like classic EQ2 (certainly far more so than previous TLEs), but far enough along that they have a buffer of two and a half expansion unlocks to work on the next milestone. Is it perfect? No, but probably the best compromise.

The best answer is probably that they found an old hard drive with a certain patch and this was as close as they could get. I sincerely doubt that they have re-coded a 2006 patch from scratch.
If that were the case, then there's no hope for anything after KoS ever being unlocked unless someone finds a new hard drive, or maybe the one they found has several patches on it. The reality though, is it's probably always been there in source control in some form or another. It's just a massive P in the A to get working, and it was never "economically viable" to split TLE from Live. It seems though the tides have shifted somewhat.

Avvmo

2006 is a safe classic starting point. I also have rose colored memories of 2004, specifically subclasses, but the reality is that a lot of core systems were fundamentally broken before 2006 - whole classes that simply didn't work, and mechanics like shared xp debt and shards that were almost universally unpopular. 2006 gives us a sweet spot mechanically, that still takes us back to a time when EQ2 felt simpler, more challenging, and more collaborative - they had worked out a lot of the ugly bits from launch by then.

Rijacki

If that were the case, then there's no hope for anything after KoS ever being unlocked unless someone finds a new hard drive, or maybe the one they found has several patches on it. The reality though, is it's probably always been there in source control in some form or another. It's just a massive P in the A to get working, and it was never "economically viable" to split TLE from Live. It seems though the tides have shifted somewhat.

I wonder if the recent effort to update to DX11 gave them insight into old code in a way they were able to import it into a new repository for this TLE concept.

MightyMeaghan

Also they dont have to make as many client changes and content changes. Post LU 19 the client does NOT like archetypes and base classes and will force you to change. Additionally the first 20 levels of the game were significantly different in terms of mechanics, quest content, and NPC encounter balance.

Jovie

I would love the class progression quests.
Beyond that i would also dig the citizenship quests back.
Yeah, i know that they above won't be back. :(