Darkpaw: YOU. WILL. GET. LOST.

Audric

Not gonna lie, I kinda like the idea of being challenged by this. FF14's lead commented recently and said that they're going back to the roots by making the game more difficult to venture again, completely on purpose, and I like that idea. I miss the old days where exploration, brainstorming and studying all sort of things was important. I've never been a fan of using addons to "show me the way", because I want to find that way all by myself. I still remember the first time I witnessed Gfay in EQ2 and how it felt exploring that gorgeous looking forest for the very first time. I was literally taking a look at each stone, mushroom, tree - you name it. Even today I find myself jumping into its ocean and just watching the jelly fish and other sea creatures roam around freely doing their thing. I still feel like there is something out there that I haven't discovered yet. Ah yes, I wish our fish and sea creatures actually had fish AI that move away when you get closer to them (mobile mmo games are doing this now and Mario64 did this in the 90's on N64).
A wonderful thing about maps is that you can turn them on or turn them off. You just have to press the correct key to pull the maps up if you need it. I prefer to explore ‘old school’ way. I remember pulling out the graph paper and charting where I’ve explored on older games. Then along came ‘fog of war’ which I really liked as it displayed only the area you’ve explored. Now I know it’s nearly impossible to do that now due to coding that’s already been implemented. I say nearly because I don’t believe anything is impossible when it comes to coding, otherwise you set limits and never try to find a way to make it work.

However, back to maps and exploring... Exploring is one of my favorite things to do in a game. I too like to see what’s in each corner and map every inch of the area. I can relate to getting dizzy and headaches as well. I used to keep playing when I felt a headache coming on, but now I know better and stop otherwise I’ll be sick rest of the night! For me, that’s when maps come in handy. That and when it’s quite late and I’m super tired but I don’t want to give up on a quest. Then I’ll pull out the map and adjust the filters to display what I need (I keep most everything hidden on the maps).

Will I use the maps when they’re available? I probably would when I’m stuck or I feel that glimmer of a headache coming on. So I’ll wait patiently while the dedicated cartographers complete their mapping. Until then I’ll just have to be careful and leave if I feel that headache coming on!

Or how about exploring Unrest, Castle Mistmoore, Nek Castle etc. I miss that type of gameplay where you have to solve riddles and where exploration and group play is key.
The only way to play!
I am sure those who just want to run in, kill the nameds, and run back out will be unhappy, though. And I pity whoever tries to map the Warrens for the eq2 map interface!
I don't know whether to cry or laugh for the ones that are mapping this!! 😢or 😆 ???
And I wonder, as I wander around lost in there... who is the dev that designed this? My compliments on their imagination.
Ditto!