Darkpaw: YOU. WILL. GET. LOST.

Cusashorn

Just a heads up for what to expect when the Darkpaw Rising game update goes live: The content begins at the Darkpaw Dugout right next to the Steppes griffon station in Antonica. You will find the standard adventurer and tradeskill progressions inside.

The zones inside are INTENTIONALLY hard to navigate. It is the massive, and I mean *MASSIVE* cave system from the Sundered Splitpaw content released back during the summer of 2005.

Here is what you can and should expect:

-There are no markers to find your way around unless you recognize that mushroom or that same-brown-colored rock as everything else around you.
- Quest updates are rarely marked by any sort of glowing particle effects. The tradeskill zone does hold your hand a little, but you need good eyes for the adventure zones.
-The named mobs spawn only after completing specific objective. Some from killing special types of enemies found scattered all around the massive area. In a similar vein to the Shard of Hate zones, spawning certain names may come at the expense of not being able to spawn others.
- Some names will not be immediately nearby when you spawn. I ended up cooking crabs in one room and spawned a named wolf that didn't show up on tracking until I progressed much deeper into the zone.

If you don't have a tracking ability or mercenary, you're going to have a bad time.

This is Splitpaw 2.0, and the design philosophy of the game back at launch was for people to either figure things out on their own or go home and cry. EQ2 Maps will only be able to do so much.

I know there's going to be a LOT of crying. What's that? You can't spawn a specific name? I guess you forgot to touch a tiny little pixel in an unassuming corner way back up at the start of the zone.

Last edited:

Sturmlocke

Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.
Not gonna lie, I kinda like the idea of being challenged by this. FF14's lead commented recently and said that they're going back to the roots by making the game more difficult to venture again, completely on purpose, and I like that idea. I miss the old days where exploration, brainstorming and studying all sort of things was important. I've never been a fan of using addons to "show me the way", because I want to find that way all by myself. I still remember the first time I witnessed Gfay in EQ2 and how it felt exploring that gorgeous looking forest for the very first time. I was literally taking a look at each stone, mushroom, tree - you name it. Even today I find myself jumping into its ocean and just watching the jelly fish and other sea creatures roam around freely doing their thing. I still feel like there is something out there that I haven't discovered yet. Ah yes, I wish our fish and sea creatures actually had fish AI that move away when you get closer to them (mobile mmo games are doing this now and Mario64 did this in the 90's on N64).

Or how about exploring Unrest, Castle Mistmoore, Nek Castle etc. I miss that type of gameplay where you have to solve riddles and where exploration and group play is key.

Raeven

I agree, the Warrens are extremely challenging. I am running a toon left over from last beta, a freeblood necro with no tracking and no merc that tracks, so she has been burning through tracking scrolls she had from some claim long ago. I have been using /loc like crazy, scribbling down waypoints where I find a certain item, mob, named, etc.

And oddly enough, I don't mind. It is more like a realistic dungeon dive, where the adventurers have no idea where they are going or what they are going to find. Since I am not finding the mobs difficult (level 130 necro in BoZ crate gear) I don't mind taking my time and wandering around lost and being surprised by what I find.

I am sure those who just want to run in, kill the nameds, and run back out will be unhappy, though. And I pity whoever tries to map the Warrens for the eq2 map interface!

And I wonder, as I wander around lost in there... who is the dev that designed this? My compliments on their imagination.

Last edited:

AvenElonis

I would be fine with this if the Map for the dungeon in game updated as you moved thur the dungeon.

But right now - I expect a lot of folks to try it and then walk away from doing it.

The TS one seems decent, but the Adv dungeon is a whole other matter.

Thoreandan

I had a few hours last night in the Warrens and really enjoyed it, very old school, and will take awhile to get to grips with, especially as a Guardian without mob tracking.

One little trick I did find was to not harvest any shinies for a bit, then use track harvest when I'm running out of things to kill, the shinies appeared to be deeper down, on my first run at least, so tracking them will lead you down the right paths to go down a bit deeper.

But then I ended up using a totem to evac to the quest npc's, and had harvested all the shinies I could find, killed all the trash / names I could find, and spent about 2 hours just running around getting lost unable to find anything else and find my way deeper down again!

Looking forward to having another pop later on.

I did notice there were some sort of maps posted in the beta forums, but for the love of Mithaniel Marr I'm unable to download them...

https://forums.everquest2.com/index...skill-and-darkpaw-warrens-maps.640/#post-3205

...anyone have any luck downloading these? I get this message...

Oops! We ran into some problems.​

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Thoreandan

I had a few hours last night in the Warrens and really enjoyed it, very old school, and will take awhile to get to grips with, especially as a Guardian without mob tracking.

One little trick I did find was to not harvest any shinies for a bit, then use track harvest when I'm running out of things to kill, the shinies appeared to be deeper down, on my first run at least, so tracking them will lead you down the right paths to go down a bit deeper.

But then I ended up using a totem to evac to the quest npc's, and had harvested all the shinies I could find, killed all the trash / names I could find, and spent about 2 hours just running around getting lost unable to find anything else and find my way deeper down again!

Looking forward to having another pop later on.

I did notice there were some sort of maps posted in the beta forums, but for the love of Mithaniel Marr I'm unable to download them...

https://forums.everquest2.com/index...skill-and-darkpaw-warrens-maps.640/#post-3205

...anyone have any luck downloading these? I get this message...

Ahhh... I notice it's because I don't have required privileges in the beta forum. Hopefully someone might be kind enough to repost them.

Odinn

Why are single up bosses in Darkpaw (solo) destroying me? I am doing little damage and they hit me for a lot. Then I don't kill them in time and get one shot. I see a buff on them, like the Wolf for example but there has to be a way to make them killable? Oh and the Pig chasing the gnoll around, same thing happens. Those are the only two I have tried.

Chrol

Senior Designer
Staff member
Developer
Why are single up bosses in Darkpaw (solo) destroying me? I am doing little damage and they hit me for a lot. Then I don't kill them in time and get one shot. I see a buff on them, like the Wolf for example but there has to be a way to make them killable? Oh and the Pig chasing the gnoll around, same thing happens. Those are the only two I have tried.
What level and class are you?

Odinn

What level and class are you?
It scales right? I have a level 80 Illusionist and a level 76 Templar in there together. The Named are level 80.

I checked combat log and I am hitting them for ~300 and they are hitting me ~2500-3000hp per hit.

Last edited:

Giga

I hated the zone, so confusing, and got a headache from running in circles. I take almost 0 damage, deal **** damage, but my assassin pet at least can clear mobs fairly quick. Bugged or something, I was able to drop in the last boss room, get killed by "You shouldn't be here" message and effect, and revive and spent 5 minutes killing the last encounter. Also, IF you are a hoarder like me, make sure to clear up A LOT of bag space.