All Classes and Races from day one on new TLE!

Miaga

I say no to all races and classes, BL and channeller were not there at launch and should not be there now. I really would love this origins server to be as accurate as it could be to the game that was available at the point in time chosen. I truly wish the archtype-class-sublcass quests had been available they were awesome, I really do not want to see boosted xp or items that were not in the game at this point, this should be as close to the original launch game as possible please! It needs to be fundamentally different from the other TLEs that have been done to make it a unique experience.

Arandar

I would love to see all the races/classes in the game.

We are not after a TRUE original classic experience, at least I am not. I don't want the slow xp or the lack of QoL improvements, I just want to start over on content but keep the QoL that hass been added for the most part. Not all, but most. You can't convince me that they can't adjust the classes in some way to make up for it. This would get my money and is my hope =)

That's really the current and previous TLEs; they're essentially live servers that are level-locked and some stats disabled. All races are already available on TLEs. The specific problem with the Beastlord and Channeler is that they're just ridiculously overpowered for lower-level content. As mentioned, it was already tried once and didn't work out well. The Origins server is for folks who really want to play the game as it was then, "warts" and all.

Arandar

I truly wish the archtype-class-sublcass quests had been available they were awesome.

It's a fun experience, once. But if you're someone who loves to play alts, it becomes repetitive because you're doing the same thing (and effectively playing the same "class" up to level 20) over and over and over. And frankly, some of the class > subclass progression made no logical sense, such as Fighter to Crusader to Shadowknight.

Doublefantasy73

We are not after a TRUE original classic experience, at least I am not. I don't want the slow xp or the lack of QoL improvements, I just want to start over on content but keep the QoL that hass been added for the most part. Not all, but most. You can't convince me that they can't adjust the classes in some way to make up for it. This would get my money and is my hope =)
I am after a true classic experience

Miaga

It's a fun experience, once. But if you're someone who loves to play alts, it becomes repetitive because you're doing the same thing (and effectively playing the same "class" up to level 20) over and over and over. And frankly, some of the class > subclass progression made no logical sense, such as Fighter to Crusader to Shadowknight.
I did about 10 or 12 through the system before the removed it, I would have kept going! Why did fighter-cusader-shadowknight not make sense though? You start your training as a fighter and look towards the path of being crusader but while crusading for justice agaisnt the evil qeynosians you fall into the shadows making you a shadowknight?

Arandar

I did about 10 or 12 through the system before the removed it, I would have kept going! Why did fighter-cusader-shadowknight not make sense though? You start your training as a fighter and look towards the path of being crusader but while crusading for justice agaisnt the evil qeynosians you fall into the shadows making you a shadowknight?

I was thinking of it more of a mechanics sense, not a roleplaying one. Crusaders were given all spells which either healed or did divine damage; when you hit level 20 as a Shadowknight, that all effectively disappeared and turned into disease and poison-based stuff. Yes, you could roleplay it as a holy warrior fallen from grace, etc., but the progression really didn't make a lot of sense. "I want to be this, but first I have to wade through 10 levels of something completely different."

Last edited:

Nuhvohk

If they decide to lock races to 2006 era, that would mean removing Fae, Arasai, Freeblood, Sarnak, Aerakyn and Vah Shir (hope I'm not missing any). While I wouldn't be 100% against that for fidelity's sake, some of those races have been around for long enough that people have personal attachment to them from a character/roleplay perspective.
But locking classes to 2006 would be just excluding Beastlords and Channelers-- which Fallen Gate proved is the right call, given how poorly balanced those classes are in the lower tiers.

Nuhvohk

Seems like no Vah Shir or Aerakyn. Not sure what else would qualify under "new races", i.e. do Fae, Arasai, Freeblood count.

Attachments

• origins races.png
    origins races.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 11

Arandar

I doubt there will be Freeblood, I think they were introduced with AoD. The Fae races were introduced with EoF, so they could make them available when that expansion is unlocked.

Nuhvohk

I doubt there will be Freeblood, I think they were introduced with AoD. The Fae races were introduced with EoF, so they could make them available when that expansion is unlocked.
Timeline as far as I know:
-Fae: Echoes of Faydwer launch (November 2006)
-Arasai: Echoes of Faydwer midcontent / LU35 (May 2007)
-Sarnak: Rise of Kunark launch (November 2007)
-Freeblood: "Velious Winter Rewards" promo and Marketplace purchase (December 2010)
-Aerakyn: Marketplace purchase alongside Altar of Malice launch (November 2014)
-Vah Shir: Reign of Shadows (December 2020)

In short, Fae COULD be included depending on what specific part of 2006 it's focused on, but it would make more sense as an EoF unlock. The rest should be restricted from the start. Again, though, it's entirely dependent on what the devs deem to be "out of era" based on their own standards. We already have the Marketplace confirmed to be in (even though it was added in 2008).

Last edited:

Forestchild

I'm going to play the new TLE, but honestly, you know how it really is going to go. Just like ALL the other TLE servers. They will release content throughout the time frame, and then when the NEXT TLE server gets released, this server will be dead just like the other TLE serves current and past will be or have been. No TLE server will ever reach the current content, nor will it make it "possibly" to something like AoM. Most of them have died or merged with AB server on or before they reached that far.

The object of a TLE server when they first announced them have always been a "short-term" server. Until the next one, and next, and so on. Just saying.

Xhieron

I'm going to play the new TLE, but honestly, you know how it really is going to go. Just like ALL the other TLE servers. They will release content throughout the time frame, and then when the NEXT TLE server gets released, this server will be dead just like the other TLE serves current and past will be or have been. No TLE server will ever reach the current content, nor will it make it "possibly" to something like AoM. Most of them have died or merged with AB server on or before they reached that far.

The object of a TLE server when they first announced them have always been a "short-term" server. Until the next one, and next, and so on. Just saying.

I think we can make peace with that. That these new forums exist is actually the best indicator I've seen in years that a shift in perspective is actually possible for this franchise. It's hard for me to get caught up with any kind of speculation about this server, because 1, they're communicating remarkably transparently about it, including its unknowns, and 2, included in that communication is that the future for the server is up in the air.

If you're a person who cares about EQ2 in the first place, odds are high you're in the demographic who has already discovered the fragility of life, the fickleness of fortune, and your own mortality: That is, you're probably someone who can enjoy the miracle of a more authentic 2006-era server without knowing what it might look like in two, five, or ten years. Maybe it'll be a short term server, but nothing lasts forever. We can enjoy it while it does.

Mesander

I get where you are coming from, however, this is like starting over again (as if being the first TLE) in terms of how they are approaching the launch of this next TLE. The concept they are shooting for is honestly what should've happened when they originally started the TLE program. I'm approaching this cautiously with the glass being half full and I don't think assuming that its going to be the same as the other TLEs is completely fair. As far as it never reaching current content, music to my ears lol. I like Zhieron's attitude - lets just enjoy it while its here.

Venser

I get where you are coming from, however, this is like starting over again (as if being the first TLE) in terms of how they are approaching the launch of this next TLE. The concept they are shooting for is honestly what should've happened when they originally started the TLE program. I'm approaching this cautiously with the glass being half full and I don't think assuming that its going to be the same as the other TLEs is completely fair. As far as it never reaching current content, music to my ears lol. I like Zhieron's attitude - lets just enjoy it while its here.
It's been proven time and time again that the announcement of one server creates anxiety on the current TLE server causing people to take breaks, slow down, and anticipate the announcement date. Once announced you see massive drop offs each week closer and closer to launch. Now as much as we've started over, over again, I think people whole-heartedly love the feeling of freshness, high population, no GHs, and some restriction on gameplay. That wavering feeling of not being quite overpowered by your piers if you're just a bit behind, and even catching up means you're still engaged to create new alts, raid, help others if you so wish, start a crafting army.

Those feelings are gone once you reach a certain point in a TLE server even over a year out from any known announcement of the next best TLE server. Catching up is daunting, low levels are far few and between, the sense of population dwindles as GHs are the mainstay for travel and AFKing. No matter how many people would say they're tired of starting over, they're always there day 1 of each new server :D.

I think I tend to say the glass is filled half-way. rather than putting my opinions on something before it even starts, it could empty quickly or fill quickly. I think Caith even mentioned in the AMA that there's absolutely no way any TLE would go past DoV because they'd have to overhaul CoE + content even though it may seem already ready to launch, it's not. Every TLE dies at SF not just due to new server announcements, but you're just left with such a barebones group that is there to kill some hard bosses and just go afk until next announcement.

Then the Origin server is definitely not for you, sorry but you have plenty of other servers if you want those things in your game.