All Classes and Races from day one on new TLE!

Spectre

I would like all classes (including Beastlord & Channeler) available from day one, and their epics available at 80 like all other classes =P Let's see the DEVs work!!!! All races as well (We did pay for them).

Ryni

Bard since 2004
Unless they put serious work into Beastlord and Channeler to scale correctly I don't see this happening. We had at least one of them on a previous TLE and it was a disaster. I am all for diversity though so if they can make them scale correctly it would be nice for more variety. Out of curiosity what race is not available on TLE if paid for on the account? Only one I don't have unlocked is Aerakyn but I thought I had seen some running around on Varsoon.

Choot

I wish we could see that effectively implemented but the Beastlords just make it unnecessary to play ANY other dps as they do sooo much more than every other DPS class.

Arandar

All of the races are available (if you've paid for access to the premium ones), but Beastlord and Channeler were available on Fallen Gate and it was a hot mess in terms of general class balance.

Spectre

I wish we could see that effectively implemented but the Beastlords just make it unnecessary to play ANY other dps as they do sooo much more than every other DPS class.
On live servers there are more than Beastlord DPS classes... or Channeler healing classes.

Arandar

On live servers there are more than Beastlord DPS classes... or Channeler healing classes.

Yes, but they can be wildly overpowered for content that is below level 92/95. The further back you go, the more unbalanced it is. Given that the developers don't have unlimited time or budgets, completely rebalancing those two classes for lower-tier content really wouldn't be an efficient use of their resources.

Denmum

Wielder of the Rolling Pin of Doom
Staff member
Developer
Yes, but they can be wildly overpowered for content that is below level 92/95. The further back you go, the more unbalanced it is. Given that the developers don't have unlimited time or budgets, completely rebalancing those two classes for lower-tier content really wouldn't be an efficient use of their resources.
This. Very much this.

They are simply not part of the timelocked experience, and trying to force-fit them into it is not the best use of our very finite time. So, unless something changes in the future, you can either have all the classes/epics from the start on a live server, OR you can be on a time-locked server without those classes from later eras.

Choot

Thanks Denmum. I totally get this. On the TLE server that had both classes (Fallen Gate I think?) It very much felt unbalanced. I remember guildees just running ultra hard content with 4 or 5 Beastlords and have ZERO problems. There are still issues with pet classes on current TLEs, but nothing like that.

That said, I do wish we could get a from scratch server with everything unlocked (classes, claimables etc) and no boosts. Would love to grab friends that have been curious about EQ2 and level up on that from 0.

Mesander

This. Very much this.

They are simply not part of the timelocked experience, and trying to force-fit them into it is not the best use of our very finite time. So, unless something changes in the future, you can either have all the classes/epics from the start on a live server, OR you can be on a time-locked server without those classes from later eras.
Totally agree. Neither class existed then and it would totally defeat the purpose of emulating the experience of the 2006 era.

Zealander

Let's hope that they make this new TLE a classic experience and do not include any classes/races etc that were not around at launch. I hope that the devs stick to their guns and make it an authentic day-one experience, or as close as possible to it. People are going to complain that they have to group to do content, and that the game is too hard, but that was the experience and appeal of the early days. I wonder if we will have to do corpse runs when we die? Imagine that!

Mesander

Let's hope that they make this new TLE a classic experience and do not include any classes/races etc that were not around at launch. I hope that the devs stick to their guns and make it an authentic day-one experience, or as close as possible to it. People are going to complain that they have to group to do content, and that the game is too hard, but that was the experience and appeal of the early days. I wonder if we will have to do corpse runs when we die? Imagine that!
2006 time period was after corpse runs were no longer a thing.

Arandar

The general guesstimate is that the codebase is from around GU26 or 27, so spirit shards, the shard recovery potions and shared XP debt were all removed by that point. That's not to say they couldn't put them back in if they wanted to, but generally speaking it seems Origins starts later than that particular era of the game.

Siren

The general guesstimate is that the codebase is from around GU26 or 27, so spirit shards, the shard recovery potions and shared XP debt were all removed by that point. That's not to say they couldn't put them back in if they wanted to, but generally speaking it seems Origins starts later than that particular era of the game.

Shared XP debt was a nightmare. Tanks and Priests vanished; no one wanted to take the blame for a wipe. Shared XP debt did a lot of damage to the community, socially. People yelled at each other and passed blame around a lot. Lots of people quit EQ2 during that period. I'm willing to chuck subcombines, spirit shard runs and subclasses to avoid shared XP debt. It did a lot more damage to the game than some people think.

I know some of the oldest code is just gone, like everything having weight, anyway. I hope the devs have come to the conclusion that their target era is the best era, regardless of whether they could have started earlier.

Last edited:

Arandar

I know some of the oldest code is just gone, like everything having weight, anyway. I hope the devs have come to the conclusion that their target era is the best era, regardless of whether they could have started earlier.

Not to mention there were an enormous amount of fundamental changes to core systems that were made between Nov 2004 and Feb 2006. Recreating all of that as they progressed forward through DoF and KoS would probably have been exponentially more difficult.

Mesander

Shared XP debt was a nightmare. Tanks and Priests vanished; no one wanted to take the blame for a wipe. Shared XP debt did a lot of damage to the community, socially. People yelled at each other and passed blame around a lot. Lots of people quit EQ2 during that period. I'm willing to chuck subcombines, spirit shard runs and subclasses to avoid shared XP debt. It did a lot more damage to the game than some people think.

BEST ERA - being the keywords. I think quite a few were hoping for original classic. While that would be cool; classic doesn't mean the greatest time. Think of it as a glorified "testing" period. Yes BETAs are for that...but not everything gets covered to a degree that it warrants some kind of tweak or adjustment. It is evident that there were certain concepts early on that weren't for everyone. Sony had to find a happy medium. Corpse runs, shared XP debt and sub-combines were eliminated for a reason. Original launches of MMOs in a way are all BETAs on steroids or BETA 2.0...however you want to look at it.

Arandar

Sprit shards and shared debt were decent enough concepts; a penalty for failure, a common recovery goal and one that was shared by everyone. But it was just one of those design decisions that sounded good on paper, but failed miserably when faced with the toxicity of players who could be awful to one another without any real consequences.

Arandar

Based on what Kander was saying the other day, best guess is they're using a version of the game in and around the GU26 update. So about 18 months or so after the initial launch of the game; there were a lot of changes to everything during that time period, from a complete overhaul to the combat systems, spell revamps, itemization, crafting, the user interface, the list goes on.

There were also a tremendous number of bugfixes during that time, so I don't think anyone would actually want a "real" day-one experience.

Sehenry1010

I would love to see all the races/classes in the game.

We are not after a TRUE original classic experience, at least I am not. I don't want the slow xp or the lack of QoL improvements, I just want to start over on content but keep the QoL that hass been added for the most part. Not all, but most. You can't convince me that they can't adjust the classes in some way to make up for it. This would get my money and is my hope =)