The Origins Server is coming to Beta!

Ramblon

I would be curious to see if it is the original tradeskills or the broad revision that was done in Echoes of Faydwer.

And, if the original tradeskills, would it be the original original or where it was finally all working for some tradeskill classes shortly before the Desert of Flames (i.e. Alchemy potions and poisons combines actually working and starting to be functional and Provisioner spells working at all). Will WORTs be Alchemy only or all classes as changed after launch and will alchemy have all their recipes working from launch or will they be limited to only WORTs and ink for a few weeks to simulate how they weren't working at launch but at least the fighter skills started being combinable a couple patches in. Will the tradeskill stations have a chance to kill (death by forge wasn't too hard to imagine but death by tailoring was the dreaded 'stick a needle in your eye').

If the original tradeskills, will all the supporting harvest nodes and purchased items be in at launch? (originally many alchemy ones weren't available until a few patches in with some never available and that compounded the alchemy issues noted above) Will harvesting skills be negatively affected by 'crossing' the tradeskill and adventure levels? (at launch if your tradeskill or adventure level went higher than the other, harvest skill would be dropped to the minimum for the tradeksill/adventure level that was higher previously resulting in losing harvest skills if you both tradeskilled and adventured)

If I have time, I am considering trying the Beta and will be checking those.

Oh wait, 2006 is Kingdom of Sky era, so.. WORTs and ink for all classes, Provisioner spells working, tradeskill stations less lethal, and at least the fighter skills working for alchemy and about half of the potions and poisons combinable and somewhat working.
They've already said no WORTs, no subcombines for crafting. Multiple times.

Thatdarncat

Is the Beta under any kind of NDA? I want to see the old versions of the cities and neigborhoods but only if I can blog about them. Otherwise I'll just wait for launch.

Koren

I'm an annual subscriber, so I'm wasn't sure, but is a subscription needed for beta? I might have a few friends coming back for it.

Siren

I'm an annual subscriber, so I'm wasn't sure, but is a subscription needed for beta? I might have a few friends coming back for it.

Like I just posted a few posts up from yours:

This just in from Discord (feel free to search Caith's posts there for yourselves, for those nonbelievers lol):

CaithToday at 3:03 PM​

Beta will require membership

Koren

This just in from Discord (feel free to search Caith's posts there for yourselves, for those nonbelievers lol):

Cool, thanks! I'm at work right now, so didn't see any newer posts

a_shrubbery

Something that's keeping me from coming back and playing alternate servers is AFAIK the lack of account wide achievements.

In my opinion the game is so vast, that per character achievements more or less force you to play a single character, and stay on your server if you are the sort of person that likes to track those accomplishments... but more crucially for returning players like me, a source of motivation, zones to explorer, quests to complete, dungeons I have missed etc.

A ton of content that earns achievements is doable even solo these days with a Mercenary optionally. A lot of older content also is easy due to stat inf;ation etc which is NOT a bad thing since you can have fun just completing a lot of older stuff without struggling unnecessarily.

Say I start a new on a new "oldschool" server. If I had account wide achievements maybe I can check out a lot of the Freeport low level stuff I never did because I usually start in Qeynos. I play on a new server, but I continue to track my accomplishments and exploration of the contnet.

But as it stands, to me starting on a new serrver or even a new character, is like resetting everything. I look at all the reset achievements and it bugs the completionist in me.

If you had account wide achievements you could also have some kind of public rankings, that would be fun for returning players and players of all skills, filtered by dungeons or just exploration etc.

You could also unlock some goodies at different intervals just like Guild Wars 2 does, and that also would incentivize playing on new servers - feeling like you are still progressing regardless which character or server you play.

Dgkelly38

Is something wrong with the Insert image feature?, cause the ones i used it on yesterday have been making like a stage magician. Gone one moment, then they're back.

Nuhvohk

Hope they add this to the Announcement post here for those who aren't keeping tabs on the Discord.

Angeliana

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
Community Team
Developer
We had this question in Discord:

Where the live client of Origins is on its own depot, will it be a separate client with its own set of character slots to roll characters on? If we're out of character slots on Live or Varsoon, we may not have to buy any character slots for Origins if this is the case. @Angeliana Sometime when you can, could you ask the team if the live Origins server is its own client that comes complete with a bunch of available character slots for us to use?
Response:
Origins will work like EU, where characters on that server are separate from US. So, if you have 10 slots (membership + purchased), you could have 10 chars each on US, EU, and Origins.

Ramblon

Something that's keeping me from coming back and playing alternate servers is AFAIK the lack of account wide achievements.

In my opinion the game is so vast, that per character achievements more or less force you to play a single character, and stay on your server if you are the sort of person that likes to track those accomplishments... but more crucially for returning players like me, a source of motivation, zones to explorer, quests to complete, dungeons I have missed etc.

A ton of content that earns achievements is doable even solo these days with a Mercenary optionally. A lot of older content also is easy due to stat inf;ation etc which is NOT a bad thing since you can have fun just completing a lot of older stuff without struggling unnecessarily.

Say I start a new on a new "oldschool" server. If I had account wide achievements maybe I can check out a lot of the Freeport low level stuff I never did because I usually start in Qeynos. I play on a new server, but I continue to track my accomplishments and exploration of the contnet.

But as it stands, to me starting on a new serrver or even a new character, is like resetting everything. I look at all the reset achievements and it bugs the completionist in me.

If you had account wide achievements you could also have some kind of public rankings, that would be fun for returning players and players of all skills, filtered by dungeons or just exploration etc.

You could also unlock some goodies at different intervals just like Guild Wars 2 does, and that also would incentivize playing on new servers - feeling like you are still progressing regardless which character or server you play.
The Achievement system wasn't added until GU53. So no achievements on Origins.

I wouldn't be surprised to see achievements in there TBH. It seems like something that would be handled globally, and thus part of code that is shared. I personally don't care either way though, since it doesn't really affect gameplay.

parissa

Was just curious... Not sure if I missed it somewhere... Beta ends on June 13th... Has any announcement been made on what day the origins server will launch?

Nuhvohk

Was just curious... Not sure if I missed it somewhere... Beta ends on June 13th... Has any announcement been made on what day the origins server will launch?
No. The 2024 Roadmap has it scheduled for sometime in June, but there's still the possibility of it getting pushed until July or further. I think it's dependent on how things turn out during the Beta, so they aren't going to declare it for certain just yet.