Confirmed The green water has disappeared (Karnor Castle, Silent City:The Delving Dead...)

Vinter

I noticed that the green water has disappeared especially in Karnor Castle and Silent City:The Delvind Dead.

There are probably other places where this bug occurs.

Did you notice this too? I don't remember this bug before. Maybe the Directx 11 update?

My config:
ASUS Laptop TUF GAMING F17
Windows 11 Home 23H2 iCore5-12500H 2.50 Ghz 16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU GDDR6 4GB (128-bit)
Driver GeForce Game Ready 552.22 04/16/2024

I'm not using a custom ui.

Thanks

Attachments

• EQ2_Karnor_Castle1.jpg
    EQ2_Karnor_Castle1.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 17
  • EQ2_Karnor_Castle2.jpg
    EQ2_Karnor_Castle2.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 14
  • EQ2_Silent-City-Delving-Dead1.jpg
    EQ2_Silent-City-Delving-Dead1.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 15
  • EQ2_Silent-City-Delving-Dead2.jpg
    EQ2_Silent-City-Delving-Dead2.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Tkia

The water is actually fine. The problem seems more to do with lighting/reflection effects and while the DX11 update may have aggravated things in some areas the issue itself has been around for months/years.

Silent City:The Delvind Dead. was a good place to see this for me. Jump into the pool and go to 159.40,27.81,259.56 orientation 133.96.0.0 (basically SE). You need to be in first person looking straight ahead. Water surface is fine, nice murky green. The water surface immediately turns black if I do any of the following:
turn left. turn right, turn around, look down or go into third person mode. There's about a 40 degree arc around SE where it looks fine and the rest blacks out. If you submerge the water is green all around and in this location if you look up to the surface from below it stays green. In Karnors moat if you jump in and look back up to the surface it appears black in the same way it does if you look down on it from the battlements.

The problem is not restricted to water effects - I notice it most frequently when decorating houses. You can place a light and it looks fine, then you turn left or right and it's as if someone just flipped a switch and turned it off. Turn back around and it goes back on again. I've been seeing this effect for a long time now so it's not DX11 specific. It may simply be a configuration issue but nothing I've tried playing with in the options file has ever made any difference. Also it's not a problem that always existed, it was introduced somewhere down the line.

FalconClash

Up until very recently, I think they fixed some of it, there were water sources that were always greenish-black to me, the pond near the lighthouse in Antonica, the river that runs across the other end of Ant. Some were just invisible, fountains in Freeport with no water in them, ect... It was strange when I saw them for the first time actually full, or not black. (can see out of windows now too, yay!)

Evilary

I've always had issues with the water changing with my view in Fens of Nathar. Sounds similar to what you're descrbing.

Haohmaru

Art Director
Staff member
Developer
Interesting... I can repro the issue. I don't recall it being this prevalent though (I believe it's related to how reflections are managed on the surfaces). The shader the water is using isn't really a shader actively used anymore (it's an oldie) so I may investigate updating these few shaders with something that looks 'close' (there would be a difference for sure) but functions as expected.

Tkia

Thanks Haohmaru. I think I'd settle for anything that stopped it behaving as if someone was flipping light switches on and off every time you move.

Last edited:

Vinter

Thank you for all these answers which comfort me a little because I had to buy a new laptop for my travels, the old one was simply no longer compatible with the DirectX11 update. A new basic gaming laptop and it is therefore surprising to see these reflection shader anomalies appear on the water.
It seems to me that on my desktop PC with an NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060 I don't have this problem (it would have been obvious to me!). Perhaps is this specific to laptops with Intel HD graphics in addition to a graphic card?
edit : desktop PC and Laptop PC : same shaders bug...

@Tkia: I also noticed in the Silent City: The Delving Dead zone, that depending on the angle of view and the movement of the mouse, the water reappears green but very furtively.

I agree with Evilary on these viewing angle anomalies with the water disappearing or turning black in the Fens of Nathsar area, on the docks.
For the housing and the lighting effects I cannot confirm it however.

@FalconClash: I would look in the areas you mention if I encounter the same problem (Antonica, Freeport)

Thanks Haohmaru and I hoping that a future update corrects these old shaders because it still impacts the pleasure of playing in these magical environments.

Last edited: