Stutters in game

Celestia

I would have put this in the players helping players area, but I apparently can't. Anyway, my game has been....kind of stuttering every now and then. It's not even just when I am in group or raid. There are moments when it just...freezes for a millisecond and then continues to work like normal. I don't know if it's my computer or the game. My computer isn't very old, I just got it about 3 years ago. the graphics card is a 3070 Nvidia. It has two ssd and 1 hdd. It also just got upgraded to windows 11. (Maybe that's the problem?) processor is a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz 3.79 GHz (I had to copy paste that) and its 16 Gbs of ram.

Any thoughts?

Forestchild

IMO, if you would get another 16gbs of ram to make a total of 32gb, then everything on the computer would run and act so much faster.

The Cpu is a 8-core, so that is find. and graphics is also 8-core.

With the way some websites and games are, 32gbs of ram (IMO) is a good minimal of any system.

Pixistik

Don't like it? You're not alone!
I would have put this in the players helping players area, but I apparently can't. Anyway, my game has been....kind of stuttering every now and then. It's not even just when I am in group or raid. There are moments when it just...freezes for a millisecond and then continues to work like normal. I don't know if it's my computer or the game. My computer isn't very old, I just got it about 3 years ago. the graphics card is a 3070 Nvidia. It has two ssd and 1 hdd. It also just got upgraded to windows 11. (Maybe that's the problem?) processor is a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz 3.79 GHz (I had to copy paste that) and its 16 Gbs of ram.

Any thoughts?
Its not your system, its something in the code.
I had a complete freeze yesterday for about 4 seconds after closing my bags and hailing a guard, but I havent been able to reproduce the problem so I don't know what is causing the random hiccup. Ping and framerates showed no noticeable dip.

More ram is always good 👍

Celestia

I have had some stuttering as well, seems to have started with the DX11 changes. Which servers are you seeing this on? I have noticed it on Test and Beta, both of which are using DX11 now.
Maj’Dul it’s just for like a second like I said but it’s noticeable and bugs me. Yesterday I was kicked off the game without warning. No “trying server 1” or “finding sonso” messages. It literally quit to desktop.

Celestia

Btw, do any of you use a custom UI for curing cursed during groups and raids? I need a faster way to cure someone than trying to find a little name in a long but tiny looking list. It’s practically impossible to see the names and switch targets each time.

Forestchild

I use DarqUI, with a little ProfitUI mixed in. DarqUI has an option that will give you a ding with you have a deteriment on. and other options as well.
I too will have instances that will cause me to drop completely to desktop with no warning. I could be in a zone fighting and BOOM/FLASH/BANGBANG. Desktop here i am... LOL.. Ignoring as H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks!!!

Elinea

I've been experiencing this for years, and it happens mostly while crafting. I've never been able to figure out the cause, and it has persisted through different pc's, and in different states (so different ISPs). The only constant so far has been DarqUI, which I have used for years. I will try deleting my UI folder and reinstalling fresh, or swapping to default. I'll report back if it continues.

SolarFaire

Many times, if I right click to use say a potion or an adornment, the game will just stop responding for variable times. Like some sort of IRC thing with mouse maybe? And yes, stutters in the whole game, framerates jumping all over the place, and the yellow numbers, ping? bounce all the time.

Cyrrena

Any thoughts?
I don't raid or group any longer as the majority of my friends have quit within the last 24 months. My computer is less than 24 months old, I have 64 Gb of Ram and 4 Tb of Hdd and I get those stutters on AB.

Arandar

It's an optimization thing, but I have a suspicion that we won't see a fix for it for a while. With them deciding that perfect is the enemy of good enough and pushing the release up to next week, I expect there to be a cornucopia of "growing pains" for the next few months.

Kalemaroni

Have you made sure all other programs are closed? Also, check Task Manager Process and sort by CPU column to see if anything spiking high and close that process if so. Go to Start Up tab there and turn off any programs that aren't necessary. You can always turn them on again afterwards if it makes no difference.

Celestia

Have you made sure all other programs are closed? Also, check Task Manager Process and sort by CPU column to see if anything spiking high and close that process if so. Go to Start Up tab there and turn off any programs that aren't necessary. You can always turn them on again afterwards if it makes no difference.

I have, thanks. Just usual stuff like windows defender and all. I did close Steam, because I don't play this one on steam. Otherwise, nothing that I can tell.

Uwkete-of-Crushbone

The one that spikes the most on me is EverQuest2.exe. X-P

Uwk

I have this stuttering lag pretty much all the time no matter where I am. I play on Beta, and I don't remember it in the beginning when it launched early may. But now it annoys me quite a bit. It affects my PC too, so that the mouse pointer is stuttering as well.

Sturmlocke

Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.
Some minimal stuttering here too, but mostly only with gpu shadows enabled. IIRC we noticed a little bit of more stuttering going on during the DX11 testing phase and a few of us mentioned it in the old test forums. On my end it's not as severe as what some of you are describing, but maybe that has to do with how Steam preloads Vulkan shaders before the game launches which usually smoothes out gameplay on DX11->Vulkan titles. It's there for sure, just not that extreme. Does EQ2 make use of a DX11 shader cache?

I'm seeing a different issue though, something that wasn't happening one or two months ago, and that's severe performance impacts when recording gameplay in constant framerate mode with gpu shadows enabled in-game. Been trying to record some gameplay footage, but the video recording drops to 1 fps which pretty much destroys all the work. Switching to variable framerate mode - or - disabling the gpu shadows in-game fixes the issue entirely and allows for smooth recording via gpu simple screen recorder or OBS Studio. It also gets rid of some stuttering here and there. This wasn't the case before with DX9 and it doesn't happen in any other game but EQ2. I'll probably submit a separate bug report for this soon, but has anyone else been seeing this?