Not A Bug Strong boxes seem to affect run speed outside of city

Mottsognir

It looks like there is an issue when you have strong boxes in your inventory, causing run speed to be severely decreased. I have attached screenshots and descriptions. I was standing at the bell for each screenshot and not in combat. I have checked this in Antonica, The Caves and Oakmyst Forest. It occurs in all three zones. More than one strong box doesn't seem to worsen the effect though.

Oakmyst Forest, with one elm strong box in my inventory. My run speed was slowed to -59% (with pathfinding)
1714699201852.png

Willow Wood, with one elm strong box in my inventory. My run speed was 16% (with pathfinding)
1714699389128.png

Oakmyst Forest, with two Elm strong boxes in my inventory. My run speed was -59% (with pathfinding)
1714699677763.png

Oakmyst Forest, with no strong boxes in my inventory. My run speed was 16% (with pathfinding)
1714700068313.png

Boldac

Can confirm. Crafted a single strong box and ended up at -75% run speed in Nepeta Cataria.

Zoned out to Stonestair byway and it was fine.

Toadwart

Of course they do. Strong boxes are not backpacks. They are meant for use in the bank and housing where their weight doesnt matter. The weight is what differentiates and gives separate value to containers.

CommaCommander

Weight is out... and people try to game the system with the large "strong boxes" so they could have more inventory slots...

They should not change this...

Snowmane

back in the day only my fighter was strong enough to get away with some strong boxes on the road. I think it makes perfect sense to ensure that both crafted item types have a purpose, as strongboxes made backpacks kinda pointless, lessening the leather worker.

Azureblaze

This should be by design I think, the game even tells you it's happening - see screen cap.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-05 191116.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-05 191116.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 16

Cifee

This is confirmed by the devs to be working as intended. The original weight system is not present where every item has weight, and STR can counter it. This is a separate system to encourage using boxes in bank and bags in inventory.

This thread can be closed.

Kindread

Seems like this was an oversight, I would expect this to be fixed and the invisible weight from strongboxes to be removed.

Nice beta debugging skills OP, thanks for posting it!

zareph007

This is confirmed by the devs to be working as intended. The original weight system is not present where every item has weight, and STR can counter it. This is a separate system to encourage using boxes in bank and bags in inventory.

This thread can be closed.
Why would this be closed? This is most clearly a bug from what they posted about boxes supposedly having 0 weight factor.

Cifee

Why would this be closed? This is most clearly a bug from what they posted about boxes supposedly having 0 weight factor.
Because it's not a bug, and it is intended as stated by the developers. The original weight system is not present (as they noted in their advertisement for the server), BUT they added this new thing to kinda simulate it.

CommaCommander

Because Strongboxes are not meant act as bags on your character... they are meant as bank boxes....

This is clearly obvious because t1 bags have a max of 8 slots... and t1 storage boxes have a max of 12....

Rijacki

If it were consistent, then I would be in the 'working as intended' crowd, but it isn't. For example:

In the Qeynos tradeskill instance, no run speed debuff for having boxes in your inventory.
In the Freeport tradeskill instance, you're dropped to a walk because of boxes.

zareph007

Because Strongboxes are not meant act as bags on your character... they are meant as bank boxes....

This is clearly obvious because t1 bags have a max of 8 slots... and t1 storage boxes have a max of 12....
Well sure that may be true. But if that were true then you wouldnt be able to equip them. So why can you walk around the starting city without weight issues? Then when you zone out from the main city your speed decreases? It is a bug and should be consistent.

Either make it consistent across zones with a warning that strongboxes will slow you down

OR

Dont allow people to equip them as bag slots

Very simple, because believe me there will be plenty of people confused about this when the server starts. This is clearly a bug and something needs to be done to address it in some form. Whether it be one solution or another.

SolarFaire

They didn't penalize you in the city so you could get from the crafting area to the bank to toss them in. The -75% speed in adventure areas is not a bug. Working as intended.

CommaCommander

Well sure that may be true. But if that were true then you wouldnt be able to equip them. So why can you walk around the starting city without weight issues? Then when you zone out from the main city your speed decreases? It is a bug and should be consistent.

Either make it consistent across zones with a warning that strongboxes will slow you down

OR

Dont allow people to equip them as bag slots

Very simple, because believe me there will be plenty of people confused about this when the server starts. This is clearly a bug and something needs to be done to address it in some form. Whether it be one solution or another.
You can equip them, so that while in the city you can take them out of you bank and put them onto you person for crafting. This way you don't have to change over every item ... you just swap you bag for your storage boxes and BAM you can go craft.