Spell: Retribution of the Fallen (Epic 2.0 spell)

Chath

This is a cool little spell that's meant to be an impactful self-buff where for a limited time the defiler busts loose, but generates far more aggro. Defilers aren't in a terrible spot, but I think we could double-down on our appeal as the more castery and debuffing twin to mystics by boosting a few elements to it:

Take the cast time from 4 seconds down to 2 as a convenience thing - it was a little awkward to fit in sometimes. For the damage boost, it could probably use a little bit of a touch-up there, but let's make it no longer constrained to profession spells: having it apply to ascension spells as well would be pretty nice for a burst window. Its duration could stand to be a little bit longer - maybe 12.4 seconds at apprentice, but scale up with tier past that.

The part I'd really like to upgrade, though, is where it adds a combat mitigation debuff to atrophy. My preferred vision for defilers is that we should be very strong debuffers, and I'd love for us to greatly increase our debuffing of combat mitigation. I'd increase the current debuff value from the pretty pitiful 68.68 at master to around 100 times that value at level 130, so around 6868. But not only that, I'd then add a combat mitigation component to our other debuffs: abhorrent seal, abomination, umbral trap, and malicious spirits.

The idea here is that Retribution of the Fallen would create a burst window not only for the defiler, but for the group, and emphasize our nature as a strong debuffing class by making our debuffs truly meaningful during it.

Chath

I wonder if they'd go for that: each debuff doing a 1% combat mitigation debuff would be a bit stronger than the values I gave there but seems reasonable to me. Since our epic spell is never upgraded having it grow with content makes a lot of sense to me, too.

Chath

I just saw Caith note in another thread that a spell modifying another spell requires a greater time investment, about ~30 minutes for each spell affected. With that in mind, we might want to keep it to just modifying atrophy. In the dispatch thread it was mentioned that percentage debuffs to combat mitigation won't be approved, so it'd probably need to be some level-scaling value that is its current value at level 100, scaling up to around 30k at level 130.

This is all predicated on combat mitigation debuffs not having some built-in cap, though.

Last edited:

Avarice

upvoting with the little sidebar and mentioning it until that becomes rote.

That debuff-based burst window sounds like SUCH a nice defiler contribution to add whenever DPS friends announce their combo. Better cast time & duration sounds especially reasonable; 4s is way too long for casting a temp buff.

Last edited: