PvP server fails again

Polisashka

My message to devs and project owners. You should do Zarrakon f2p, otherwise you can close server because 20 people online there

gambitak

That's about 6-10 more than is on KD at any given time; however, the KD server is not supposed to have players interacting in PVP as an important part of the game, so there is that.

Nuada

That's about 6-10 more than is on KD at any given time; however, the KD server is not supposed to have players interacting in PVP as an important part of the game, so there is that.

I think not u can compare PVE with PVP, for me part I'm online with a f2p PVP server, because I don't pay for unlock content, just if the pvp server gets new stuff, PVP gear for every Slot, and that all 3-4 months, and this game need toughness and lethality without that PVP balance is in 500 years not fixed.

I mean, I've done that often enough. At some point it's enough, there just has to be more and not just content unlock

or do u mean it is a good concept to pay for the next 50 servers again and again EXP potions to level again and again from 1 to 90?

For me its boring, I know this game better as my ass up to lvl 100 and played first time on first beta day.

Last edited:

SevenShadows

Simple fix for PVP, On the new TLE Server Just add Battlegrounds, Let people choose to pvp on their terms.
Just not the same as open world PVP, I enjoy being the mouse in the cat and mouse game while questing as well. It adds some spice to the experience and a better satisfaction when you do get things completed. I really think trying to out smart the groups while sneaking around is fun...

But alas it has to be on a permanent server, no one sticks around when they see the server starting to wind down after the release because they know its going to shut down. It has to be announced from the start that its going to be Permanent, forever, then people wont be worried to keep putting their time into their characters.

The new Origins servers is a perfect opportunity to do this. They should make a permanent PVP and PVE origins server that they can later dump characters on when they do run future origin TLE's. This reassurance I think would keep people logging on.

Oh and one more thing, name it Nagafen!!! Nagafen is back!!! Would grab a lot of peoples attention and put the server off to a great start :)

Polisashka

Battlegrounds will not be funny. Fight mechanics is different from pvp. I say to DAYBREAK DEVS to do Zarrakon free to play not because i don’t have 15 dollars for pay subscribe. I say to do it because it will bring A LOT people

gambitak

I think not u can compare PVE with PVP, for me part I'm online with a f2p PVP server, because I don't pay for unlock content, just if the pvp server gets new stuff, PVP gear for every Slot, and that all 3-4 months, and this game need toughness and lethality without that PVP balance is in 500 years not fixed.

I mean, I've done that often enough. At some point it's enough, there just has to be more and not just content unlock

or do u mean it is a good concept to pay for the next 50 servers again and again EXP potions to level again and again from 1 to 90?

For me its boring, I know this game better as my ass up to lvl 100 and played first time on first beta day.
I agree, it's a little different. But, the problem with the EQ2 PVP is the people playing it, not the server. I played on Sullon Zek on OG EQ, so I'm used to no rules; however, we had good teams and the environment helped us take care of griefers.

I've tried EQ2 PVP a total of 3 times, at 2 different servers and was immediately griefed or ignored. I couldn't get away from the city before I was trashed by extremely higher level players. It was not enjoyable.

DENSER

The problem with pvp is that it's the quintessence of fast grind, fast leveling.
Everything is done to make you spend in a minimum of time, the most to make you believe that it will have any impact on your gameplay.
Chests, potions etc.
Interest is not to make a solid, interesting game. But to pluck the pigeons believing that with each new PvP server, with a little luck and a lot of money, they will have a place in the virtual, pixelated pantheon of heroes.
I was one of these pigeons, once, never again.

This server is doomed to fail, every time. To rise from the ashes and give you the promise of a new beginning. Often the beginning of the siphoning of your wallet

SevenShadows

The problem with pvp is that it's the quintessence of fast grind, fast leveling.
Everything is done to make you spend in a minimum of time, the most to make you believe that it will have any impact on your gameplay.
Chests, potions etc.
Interest is not to make a solid, interesting game. But to pluck the pigeons believing that with each new PvP server, with a little luck and a lot of money, they will have a place in the virtual, pixelated pantheon of heroes.
I was one of these pigeons, once, never again.

This server is doomed to fail, every time. To rise from the ashes and give you the promise of a new beginning. Often the beginning of the siphoning of your wallet
It was done back in 2007 and flourishing, the difference? No pay to win cash shops and people thought server was permanent.

SolarFaire

Tried it on Nagafen way back. Not really my cup of tea since I was one of the sheep being fleeced often. I have to say that yes, there are bad actors out there that will "grief" others, but it can be fun at times too. I still can't understand why the Game Devs can not or will not just set players with a flag to PvP in normal TLE PVE servers. Remember the old Priest of Discord in original EQ? Most of my understanding comes from no one giving a reason or response from the Dev side. Is it technical considerations, or something else? Let the hunger games begin.

Xephane

Adding the baubles didn't really help either. The server had a struggling population until these instant max level baubles were added that gave people max AA but lacking appropriate gear made low levels (where a significant amount of people enjoyed playing especially with other people) all disappear and the returning high level players unable to fight anyone. I played a bit before and after the baubles and watched the population very quickly drop from about 40-100 daily players down to less than 10 unless it's a raid day. Baubles should have been left to the beta/test servers instead of granted to everyone on a live pvp server.

Xephane

Just not the same as open world PVP, I enjoy being the mouse in the cat and mouse game while questing as well. It adds some spice to the experience and a better satisfaction when you do get things completed. I really think trying to out smart the groups while sneaking around is fun...

But alas it has to be on a permanent server, no one sticks around when they see the server starting to wind down after the release because they know its going to shut down. It has to be announced from the start that its going to be Permanent, forever, then people wont be worried to keep putting their time into their characters.

The new Origins servers is a perfect opportunity to do this. They should make a permanent PVP and PVE origins server that they can later dump characters on when they do run future origin TLE's. This reassurance I think would keep people logging on.

Oh and one more thing, name it Nagafen!!! Nagafen is back!!! Would grab a lot of peoples attention and put the server off to a great start :)
This is actually a fantastic idea, a true retro pvp server with the original ruleset sounds awesome, it was the best in it's older states than its newest iterations

Fokus

There are so many opportunities to make progress in this game, but no! A bunch of nasty gankers, they'll whine and moan and talk about how good it used to be! It wasn't good before, there was a constant gank of green questers, which eventually killed the pvp component of the game. And the Pvp server will never be populated in the same way as the Pve.

Xephane

There are so many opportunities to make progress in this game, but no! A bunch of nasty gankers, they'll whine and moan and talk about how good it used to be! It wasn't good before, there was a constant gank of green questers, which eventually killed the pvp component of the game. And the Pvp server will never be populated in the same way as the Pve.
This is one problem sure, but it wasn't the only one. Terrible decision making in regards to systems and gearing is a much larger component. Those "green gankers" were utterly annoying and turned some of the population off the server without a doubt, but it's not the reason every pvp server fails. Nagafen had those people for several years and the server eventually died due to bad decisions. Those green gankers on Zarrakon didnt even stick around very long, they get bored fast, and as I stated above (I played when the green gankers weren't even on the server anymore) the decision to add baubles took a low population and made it effectively zero. So yes, while green gankers are annoying and i wish something could be done it most definitely isn't just them ruining the server, the server wouldn't keep dying long after they are gone especially in it's entirety.

SevenShadows

This is one problem sure, but it wasn't the only one. Terrible decision making in regards to systems and gearing is a much larger component. Those "green gankers" were utterly annoying and turned some of the population off the server without a doubt, but it's not the reason every pvp server fails. Nagafen had those people for several years and the server eventually died due to bad decisions. Those green gankers on Zarrakon didnt even stick around very long, they get bored fast, and as I stated above (I played when the green gankers weren't even on the server anymore) the decision to add baubles took a low population and made it effectively zero. So yes, while green gankers are annoying and i wish something could be done it most definitely isn't just them ruining the server, the server wouldn't keep dying long after they are gone especially in it's entirety.
When I played there were PVP brackets and only 4 levels above you could attack you. So if you saw someone of the opposing faction that was really really high (or red to you) you didn't have to worry about that as they were not allowed to attack you. I thought it was a great system.

DENSER

When I played there were PVP brackets and only 4 levels above you could attack you. So if you saw someone of the opposing faction that was really really high (or red to you) you didn't have to worry about that as they were not allowed to attack you. I thought it was a great system.
It is yes, but a wider margin of levels is more interesting to push us to 'arm ourselves' against those vendettas.
The player is therefore more tempted to make micro transactions to hope to survive against a 10 above level player.
Whether through extra speed or other potions

SevenShadows

It is yes, but a wider margin of levels is more interesting to push us to 'arm ourselves' against those vendettas.
The player is therefore more tempted to make micro transactions to hope to survive against a 10 above level player.
Whether through extra speed or other potions
All that stuff has to be eliminated for a PVP server to be successful long term because as soon as a player thinks they are being unfairly killed because of someone else buying cash shop items they'll quit... Then you are reduced to a server of only wallet warriors which is never enough to keep it going then it dies...

The normal player that only subs to play has to know its "fair" or they quit... The company has to realize on a PVP server there can be no cash shop and be happy with just accepting the monthly subs as monetization (like it was in 2007 when it was flourishing). In the long run this will be better anyways as people will stick around and keep paying those subs.

Leaf

Nagafen was successful for years because of many points mentioned including no krono, pay to win cash shop, on a perma server, non-consolidated stats and +/- 4 level restrictions (although you could always attack any higher level, who could then retaliate)

Ofcourse people tried to grief but your faction would typically come help and/or guildies. This helped build the community.

Only combining and balancing all these elements can a PVP server be successful.