Suggestion Please give a day of amnesty to leave IoR

Rargo

There are not that many active players on the server. How hard would it be to have us drop all our gear, clean out the banks and houses and have us transfer naked. Then give us our gear back on the new server - from that servers items?

BabyAngel

There are not that many active players on the server. How hard would it be to have us drop all our gear, clean out the banks and houses and have us transfer naked. Then give us our gear back on the new server - from that servers items?
I think over half the server would go for this, the other half not. But we should be given the option right? It just makes no sense, there are so few of us they could manually transfer us and tell us what we need to do to go. A lot of us would put the effort in to reach whatever bar they set.

Evilary

I'm not that much of an expert on coding but it seems like the information would be tagged in the database. The database on IOR says item you have in inventory can be traded. So once you move, the new database would say, nope, you cannot.

Forestchild

I know that is what was said, but since it's population is around 50-ish players, they should shut it down and merge with (say Skyfire or Maj'dul). One would think it is not cost effective to keep an empty (mostly) server up and running.

I'm still waiting for the day that they merge ALL of US into 1 US server. They already have 1 EU server. Then they would have the capability to run 2 new TLE servers. Kill the KD server, it's dead too. Varsoon is still kicking from what I hear.

BabyAngel

I know that is what was said, but since it's population is around 50-ish players, they should shut it down and merge with (say Skyfire or Maj'dul). One would think it is not cost effective to keep an empty (mostly) server up and running.

I'm still waiting for the day that they merge ALL of US into 1 US server. They already have 1 EU server. Then they would have the capability to run 2 new TLE servers. Kill the KD server, it's dead too. Varsoon is still kicking from what I hear.
^ we can only dream

Rargo

I quit the game after playing since 2005. I was considering coming back and that's when I contacted Darkpaw and asked about a transfer. I also explained how many thousands of dollars I have spent on this game in that time. It's embarrassing how much, but it is my "hobby" and what I like to do. They didn't care at all. I still came back after a year off because I would have 2 expansions of content to do, but now it's about done, and the server is dead for the most part. I Feel it's about time to leave for good. Should I ask for a refund??? HA

Forestchild

I quit the game after playing since 2005. I was considering coming back and that's when I contacted Darkpaw and asked about a transfer. I also explained how many thousands of dollars I have spent on this game in that time. It's embarrassing how much, but it is my "hobby" and what I like to do. They didn't care at all. I still came back after a year off because I would have 2 expansions of content to do, but now it's about done, and the server is dead for the most part. I Feel it's about time to leave for good. Should I ask for a refund??? HA
I'm with you too, with spending tons of money, (ie~Collector's editions for xpacs, SC here and there and everywhere.). This last expansion has turned me off with the way that they released it. I mean it was released NOT COMPLETE. And TONS of BUGS. No thought of the players involved, just making the almighty dollar in their pocket.

Wish they would give us refunds, but they won't. My refund would cover the cost of a RV/motorhome.

Oh well. Passing the time right now, with some decorating skills of my homes, but even that is getting reduntant. and half of the decorating having bugs. and Housing and Leaderboards, not working correctly. Kind of a turn off.

BabyAngel

I'm with you too, with spending tons of money, (ie~Collector's editions for xpacs, SC here and there and everywhere.). This last expansion has turned me off with the way that they released it. I mean it was released NOT COMPLETE. And TONS of BUGS. No thought of the players involved, just making the almighty dollar in their pocket.

Wish they would give us refunds, but they won't. My refund would cover the cost of a RV/motorhome.

Oh well. Passing the time right now, with some decorating skills of my homes, but even that is getting reduntant. and half of the decorating having bugs. and Housing and Leaderboards, not working correctly. Kind of a turn off.
I have so much money invested in my favorite characters too, its a bit sad :( seeing how I am just leaving them there, also a lot of old raid achievements that would be a nightmare to try get groups for.

Kuulei

They created this server in 2016, with $5 transfers to move there and $25 to move back. They knew day one, that people would go there to sell items to other players and they would move back. This continued until 2022. That is 5 years of them making LOTS of money off players purchasing transfers until it really started slowing down. The market was saturated with items and no buyers, many transferring off with the last of their currency around 2021.
IoR had pretty much run it's coarse and was too sparsely populated to call it home.
What they SHOULD have done, was post a closing date and any characters left, auto-dumped to AB as usual.

So they need to close shop. Post a date like May 31 or whatever, give at least 20 days *preferably 30 days*, heads up to when it will be done. Make more than one post about it! Perhaps even an email to all accounts that opted for those notifications and slap it into the MOTD for a week before it shuts down.

Just Kuu's 2 coppers!

Last edited:

vlada

The question I have is, can they possibly do a transfer if we junk any gear, leaving just house items and station cash items or something? I dont know, but they let people out before why can't they now... Wgat do they need to let us out?
They already said no

Mugwort

KD was not created with $5 transfers. That happened later. It was a server that did not allow transfers to the server. When they did allow transfers, they were normal $25.00. The $5 transfers came later.

From https://www.everquest2.com/news/isle-of-refuge-server-free-trade-june-2016

"When Isle of Refuge launches, there will be no transfers allowed on or off Isle of Refuge. This is a new Norrathian community being formed, and we want you all to have the opportunity to build relationships and a thriving player economy. There are no plans to EVER allow transfers off the Isle of Refuge server, though we may open transfers TO this server at a future date. While we’ll have news regarding transfers to Isle of Refuge in the future, at launch all characters will begin a new journey on the server.

A few other things to note about Isle of Refuge:

There will be limited account bonuses and/or claims at the launch of the Free Trade Server.
There will be no Battlegrounds access on the Free Trade Server.
To play on the Free Trade Server, you must be an All Access Member."

Once launched, the complaints about this server seemed to be endless. The word "special" was a contentious term in describing the server. The server was slammed for allowing the creation of Heroic characters. It was slammed for making it difficult to set up SLR. It was slammed for not having PvP. It was slammed for this or that and held in disdain by some as the cause of all the woes of EQ2.

The $5.00 transfer token displayed in the Marketplace on live servers has never been updated. Periodically, individuals transfer there, after relying on older information, thinking after 30 days they can transfer off. This "oversight" in the Marketplace has been reported many times and no action has been taken to correct it. Leaving the token with the 30-day transfer information is disingenuous and once again will say, "It really needs to be corrected so that players today can make an informed decision before buying the token."

BabyAngel

KD was not created with $5 transfers. That happened later. It was a server that did not allow transfers to the server. When they did allow transfers, they were normal $25.00. The $5 transfers came later.

From https://www.everquest2.com/news/isle-of-refuge-server-free-trade-june-2016

"When Isle of Refuge launches, there will be no transfers allowed on or off Isle of Refuge. This is a new Norrathian community being formed, and we want you all to have the opportunity to build relationships and a thriving player economy. There are no plans to EVER allow transfers off the Isle of Refuge server, though we may open transfers TO this server at a future date. While we’ll have news regarding transfers to Isle of Refuge in the future, at launch all characters will begin a new journey on the server.

A few other things to note about Isle of Refuge:

There will be limited account bonuses and/or claims at the launch of the Free Trade Server.
There will be no Battlegrounds access on the Free Trade Server.
To play on the Free Trade Server, you must be an All Access Member."

Once launched, the complaints about this server seemed to be endless. The word "special" was a contentious term in describing the server. The server was slammed for allowing the creation of Heroic characters. It was slammed for making it difficult to set up SLR. It was slammed for not having PvP. It was slammed for this or that and held in disdain by some as the cause of all the woes of EQ2.

The $5.00 transfer token displayed in the Marketplace on live servers has never been updated. Periodically, individuals transfer there, after relying on older information, thinking after 30 days they can transfer off. This "oversight" in the Marketplace has been reported many times and no action has been taken to correct it. Leaving the token with the 30-day transfer information is disingenuous and once again will say, "It really needs to be corrected so that players today can make an informed decision before buying the token."
There is nothing to transfer too. Its empty, sad, and conversation is sparse. Any special-ness on the server has been lost. The economy for anything sits for ages, theres not much activity.

People boxing (or other less desirable activities) dungeons and raids. There is no grouping otherwise. And the culture of the server is "do what you can to survive" ... Which means... Well undesirable activity... Sigh.

Everyone has quit or got out before they locked the door. Devs know all this.

I just wish I understood why they ignore ALL of the problems ... Including the token.

With the origins server coming, its about to get a lot more empty too.

gambitak

As I understand it; it's not that they are punishing anyone, but there are a lot of things that will break the system if they try to merge it with a standard Live server. IOR was a "free-trade" server and that means a lot of "no-trade" items that are on live servers, are tradeable on IOR server. If they merge it with another server that would break the code and things that are notrade will be tradeable and things that are tradeable will be notrade. Will just be a big headache.

As for me; in my opinion I wish they would get rid of the no-trade and heirloom tags, and broker system and let us price things that way that "us" the Players want to. The broker restrictions didn't stop ANYTHING. Just made peeps go to auction channel. and do the trading. The up and down of the broker prices would have still happened. Think of it as real life. $20 bucks in the real world bought a full shopping cart of stuff. Not with inflation, $20 bucks is like $5 bucks today.

DOWN WITH THE RESTRICTIONS THAT THEY PUT ON US. GIVE US OUR GAME BACK AND LET US PLAY THE WAY WE WANT TO PLAY!!!
COME ON DEVs.
@Chrol, @Angeliana ,@Kaitheel ,@Caith, @and any other devs/staff I forgot.
I've done DB maintenance for large corporations and it's not difficult to write an SQL script to transfer only certain things from one database to another. This is literally Database Maintenance 101 in a college course. There may be other technical or corporate reasons for not transferring from IoR; however, nothing that will "break the system" would stop copying a character from one database to another to move from one server to the next.

I'm saying this without knowing their database schema, but I'm betting ('hoping' may be a better word) that their databases are industry standard. Unless they're using MS FoxPro (gods I hope not!) or some other proprietary stuff, it's almost trivial to move a character, especially without gear or items or in-game money, from one server to the next.

BabyAngel

I've done DB maintenance for large corporations and it's not difficult to write an SQL script to transfer only certain things from one database to another. This is literally Database Maintenance 101 in a college course. There may be other technical or corporate reasons for not transferring from IoR; however, nothing that will "break the system" would stop copying a character from one database to another to move from one server to the next.

I'm saying this without knowing their database schema, but I'm betting ('hoping' may be a better word) that their databases are industry standard. Unless they're using MS FoxPro (gods I hope not!) or some other proprietary stuff, it's almost trivial to move a character, especially without gear or items or in-game money, from one server to the next.
This is very interesting. Thank you for sharing.