Need Class Help!

Trevalon

Ok so to preface this I played EQ2 on launch then left for WoW like everyone else. I have, over the years, played EQ2 on and off and even raided during the Shadow Odyssey era. I have played EQ1 since 1999 and still play to this day on their TLP servers.

So needless to say I know very little about EQ2 in 2006. So this is kind of what I am thinking:

1) I do not like healing, so no healers (Though my raiding character during TSO was a Warden lol)

2) I do not mind tanking, but because I am not familiar with EQ2 I am hesitant because I do not know the zones/dungeons well at all (That being said, I am a fast learner and "understand" EQ/MMOs well and catch on fast. I have been raid leading in EQ1 for 16 years running).

3) I may need a class that can at least solo a little bit. I prefer to group but my playtime may be limited but I would like a class that finds groups quick and easy. The faster I can get invited LFG the better.

Anyway the classes I am leaning to are:

1) Necromancer. I assume they have decent solo ability but how do they find groups in this era?

2) Bard of either type - I have played a bard in EQ for 16 years now, and I know EQ2 bards are different (I have dabbled in one over the years) but overall I suspect they get groups fairly easy and well?

3) Chanter - I played a Coercer for awhile too and enjoyed the loop. Are chanters needed in this era or is it typical go go go no mez? I do like a good Charm pet.

4) Swash - I like the DPS oriented class but I worry about tis ability to do things solo.

5) Monk - I have played an SK, I dont like Paladins, but Monk always seemed fun. I know they are tanks in EQ2, how are they?

Any other suggestions?

I appreciate any help from the EQ2 vets!

SolarFaire

Play what excites you and helps you enjoy the play. Grouping will come as long as the server population is solid, and by playing what you like, you are more likely to know the how to play it well, and thus a positive addition to groups. Croud control is good, Necros are decent solo and help with added dps, bards are good dps this era and utility always a bonus. Swash is decent dps (as are brigands for the era in Anashti Sul) Monks are good, as are all tanks. Again, try what you wish during the beta, Heck, try all of them during beta to see what you like. What you like and enjoy playing will hopefully have you logging back in to play often.

Most characters will have a rough time solo'ing based on my experience so far with the beta. Swash might actually be a little better off than some classes especially after gaining a few levels, as they were one of the tankier scouts back in the day. Using a shield and a single weapon is still viable enough, too, for solo.

That said I would definitely echo the sentiment of trying a few classes and seeing what sticks.