Lets put the 'Quest' back in EverQuest

Malvolio

While people have mentioned the insane exp from collections and grinding mobs it seems silly that for a game called EverQuest the majority of quests are supremely unrewarding. Granting less experience and loot than killing 3 mobs. There are a handful with actually decent item rewards but then many that are lvl 10 group oriented that give a +1 str axe with DPS less than a lvl 1 tin weapon. Or a 10th level quest that requires a group giving just 2% exp at level 8 and 2silver.

I am not saying to make it super easy to level and wouldn't even mind tuning the exp amounts needed to level and just make questing actually worthwhile. I know the current state isn't entirely inaccurate for the era, back in 2004 aside from some specific quests we just grinded mobs/dungeons as the questing was not worthwhile.

Mesander

I would have to agree. Mob grinding can get monotonous and questing XP does need to reward a bit more. XP vitality does play a big role in xp gain so don't forget about that. I was turning in quests the other day with no vitality and the amount gained was next to nothing. Still - I think even so the xp gain should be adjusted slightly higher for quest completions.

karafa13

Part of the issue is how many quests are broken and missing, questing in this game typically had a higher reward for travel/multi step quests, and kill quests were kind of seen as a small additional bonus attached to the exp you got from killing mobs. The 1-12 tier that we are in is currently missing quite a few quests on both sides (on top of a few that are broken) which makes it seem slower than it should be.

Pixistik

Don't like it? You're not alone!
I have always enjoyed the grind, grouping and killing ^^^scarecrows in Antonica, Blightrats and Nightbloods in Rivervale, Condemned catacombs goblins, Obelisk of lost souls etc...
Once you have done the quest several dozen times it just kinda loses its draw
Killing mobs was always faster than questing
Which reminds me, some of the mob packages need updated in Ant to ^^^

Malvolio

Karafa even if they add the missing quests it still wont help. When I was in a slump between 6-9 I did every quest in Qeynos from every zone. Saving the turn-ins for 4+ at a time only to get barely 10% in a level. Ran to the broker to finish my gaps in collections and 1.5 levels in 5 minutes. 10-12 was just grinding mobs in the caves, my groupmates would go back to the beginning of zone for turn-ins just to get sent back into the caves when in reality it was more rewarding to just stay out killing. Never said a thing I didn't want to diminish their style of play but at that point I had given up on any quest without a clearly defined item reward.

Pixistik the great thing about making quests viable but not OP is that it does not diminish grinding mobs in any way shape or form. I have absolutely no qualms with it still being the most efficient leveling to go from scarecrows - TS Giants - RoV - RV/RE - OOLS - CT.