I know it is early, but what is the server path post launch?

Jovie

I assume that this will launch with the original base game and then proceed to unlock expansions over time, but with the origins twist.
My question is, if this is the case, do the devs plan on keeping this server long term, like they did with Isle of Refuge, and keep it going much longer than the other time locked servers?
I can't speak for anyone else, but i would love to see Anashti Sul go full on until eventually getting to the live server releases, but with the origins rules.
Would be interesting to see how they would affect gameplay as a whole.

Groppstopper

I'm sure this will all be decided as we get closer to launch. I would love to see this server have a more static approach that receives more love even post launch as patches resolve more and more out of era conflicts. Maybe expansion unlocks happen only when the player-base votes to unlock? I personally can't see myself playing much past RoK but I'm sure there are some who would like to see it progress past then.

Beyoncia

What I really want to see is the content and levels unlocked in waves, similar to beta-or Season of Discovery in WoW- giving level 50 and all vanilla content on release would be a mistake, imo.

As for the future expansions, I'd like them to follow the original game design of stats and such. No crazy numbers, no gamebreaking and overpowered abilities. This server provides a great opportunity to tinker with the game, to test a stats squish and so on.

Agree with Groppstopper, RoK was the expansion when we started to acquire too powerful abilities and passives (like Holy Shield and Shield Ally for clerics, which was totally OP for a long time) and numbers began to bloat up as a result. And at the end of it we had stats consolidation and unification. Once again, I'd definitely like it not to happen again on this server.

Last edited:

Cusashorn

If they keep the origins difficulty while releasing content, then that means that when Echoes of Faydwer comes around, they will have to intentionally work through the entire expansion to make sure it DOESN'T have solo content overland zones. It would require a significant amount of balancing and all manor of other work in general to actually make it work when the expansion itself was already the start of the Golden Path solo questline.

It would actually be a first for the entire game's existence, and I just don't think they have it in them to make sure that Kunark and The Shadow Odyssey and Odus and Velious are swarming with heroic mobs right outside of the hub/quest/city areas.

I don't think you guys understand the amount of work it would take to manage two versions of the game in a release cycle...

What I forsee, is they develop this version of the game maybe through SF ... maybe just till ROK and that is it... It will be like p99 at that point forever just existing...

Mesander

It has already been stated that the TLE servers will never progress to where the live servers currently are. As CommaCommmander stated - it would basically be supporting two different versions of the game (which is basically two separate games) at the same time. There is simply not enough personnel available to handle that kind of workload. Caith is pretty much "flying solo" as it is with managing the BETA server as far as fixing bugs and such are concerned. Enjoy the classic experience but I would put the live server hopes to bed because it won't happen.

It has already been stated that the TLE servers will never progress to where the live servers currently are.
One would have thought that would be common sense. Even at 3 months per expansion (which is insane), it would still take like 5 years for it to catch up with where live is now. And by then there could be 5 new expansions...so yeah, that isn't going to happen. And I think you would give Caith et al a collective aneurism even contemplating the idea of having to pretty much redesign and develop everything post-KoS to conform to 2006-era stats and mechanics.

Jovie

It has already been stated that the TLE servers will never progress to where the live servers currently are. As CommaCommmander stated - it would basically be supporting two different versions of the game (which is basically two separate games) at the same time. There is simply not enough personnel available to handle that kind of workload. Caith is pretty much "flying solo" as it is with managing the BETA server as far as fixing bugs and such are concerned. Enjoy the classic experience but I would put the live server hopes to bed because it won't happen.
Nobody ever said this for Anasthi Sul.
Nobody has said that the server would hit X expansion and then lock at that forever either.

Nobody ever said this for Anasthi Sul.
Nobody has said that the server would hit X expansion and then lock at that forever either.
Nobody said it ... but it is the logical progression. Think of doing all the work, then having to do it again each expansion. Up to a certain point, then it hits a build that lines up with basic TLE.

Now if you look at previous populations you would see that DOV is the point when the server pop severely dips. SF is the last expansion when the pop is decent.

The obvious logical conclusion is making a version of the game that runs from classic to SF... and then leaving it there.

This is what p99 does and is successful doing...

Also remember this will be a separate "version" of EQ2... and will never mix with the live/TLE environment...

Jovie

Nobody said it ... but it is the logical progression. Think of doing all the work, then having to do it again each expansion. Up to a certain point, then it hits a build that lines up with basic TLE.

Now if you look at previous populations you would see that DOV is the point when the server pop severely dips. SF is the last expansion when the pop is decent.

The obvious logical conclusion is making a version of the game that runs from classic to SF... and then leaving it there.

This is what p99 does and is successful doing...

Also remember this will be a separate "version" of EQ2... and will never mix with the live/TLE environment...
Part of the reason i posted this thread is to find out what the actual plans are. Would love if someone with actual info could reply and help us to know what the future holds.
As for locking this server at X and leaving it static, i would love to see it go as far as plane of magic and then locking.

Spock

Judging by what was said in announcements aka that daybreak gonna poll the population each time they open a new expansion i don't think they have made their mind yet at what expansion they will stop. I would figure when the population have dip below a certain level that the work would be too much for the benefits.

Rijacki

It's been part of the initial information that they'll poll players closer to launch or possibly even after launch to determine speed of unlocks. I personally am hoping the unlocks will happen but not faster than 2 months for each expansion and maybe even as much as 6 months. I also expect the server to slowly change the mechanics over time much as they had changed over time originally. I'm not sure where I think it should end or it I think it should have a 'frozen in amber' stopping point. I do know that I would be bored if it never moved on from the Shattered Lands or even if it stopped just a couple expansions/adventure packs in from the launch timeline. But, I also don't have an abject hatred of all that is in the current Live (but there are a few drastic changes I am not happy about, sadly those are in the Beta and not rolled back, hopefully 'yet').

SolarFaire

Ya know, I actually feel sorry for Caith at not only trying to untangle the gordian knot of spaghetti code, but also needing to read the tons of posts in both forums and discord. Like, whom did he tick off at the office? It seems though, that we will get the following expansions when they can check coding and checking with the customers and how many people are reaching max levels and completing milestones, as they do with other TLEs. I kind of expect there will be a need to Beta test the next x-pac when it is getting close to time for it. Till then, help identify bugs, and broken mechanics, feedback and retest during beta, and then enjoy the game at a slower pace.

Springelf

I assumed that they would release the expansions (however that shakes out) to be like it was for that era. They are making this server to as close as it can be to the original SL, so why not each subsequent expansion to be what it was like when opened.

Rijacki

I'm hoping this work is not just for a single server but will allow them to do future Origin variant TLE servers as well.

Kittik

At what point in the life of the Live servers did the game change? I can't imagine them support this server past that point, because at that point, they are then basically making a new game with every exp pack.

Rijacki

At what point in the life of the Live servers did the game change? I can't imagine them support this server past that point, because at that point, they are then basically making a new game with every exp pack.
Over time.

For example, the harvests and other tradeskill items got unique looks for each in 2008.
Tradeskills changed dramatically with Echoes of Faydwer.

For all changes, some think they're improvements and others think they're game breaking. There is no definitive spot where there is a collective agreement.