Harvesting rare rates

Observing

Anecdotally, it seems my crafters who have lower rare harvest chance and skill just over the BoZ minimum harvest more rares than my maxed harvester. My conclusion is that high harvest skill and high rare harvest chance is effectively meaningless (in the statistical noise).

Smashey

The most optimal way to be self sufficient in EQ2 with the rare harvest change is to have several alts and get pack ponies and house plants for all of them.

Investing time into getting the mounts leveled, the mount gear, leveling your gathering familiar and doing all the various trade skill lines is a waste of time when you can click two buttons and camp to another char and repeat. Investing all those hours just to get a maximum of 4% rare harvest chance is in my opinion such a waste of your precious life.

Having 8 alts will take you 4½ minutes (15 seconds to click, 20 seconds to camp) to go through and you are all setup with everything you need and maybe even a surplus of materials.

The only reason I got "bis - or close to bis gathering gear" is because I worked hard on it when it was still fruitful to have it and totally worth the time investment.

Randalph

EQ2Wire Ambassador
I think its tuned way too harsh.

I think putting in effort and investing many hours doing old tradeskill quests, doing many many old trade skill dailies for the best gathering/mount gear, leveling mounts and familiars PLUS actually going around gathering in the game world should absolutely give you a return on your investment. Right now as Smashey says, just having many alts with ponies and plants is the superior method. Being a gatherer is a waste of your time, unless you for some reason really, really enjoy it.

My maxed out gatherer is also around 3.5 to 4% harvesting in Splendor Sky Aerie.

Last edited:

Audric

If there isn't a rare in the guild hall depot then I send my pony out and just go harvesting until I find what I'm looking for. I also don't buy off the broker any rares or anything else. This isn't just due to the over inflated costs, but rather that I enjoy going out and doing some harvesting and also earning my gear or whatever else I want. If I can't earn it.. then I probably just don't need it. :) I don't raid either so I don't need to have top of the line equipment. I like the challenge of killing a tough mob or completing a long / difficult quest or harvesting for awhile and ready to do a jig when I finally find what I'm after. (I also roleplay my characters so they're going to have only what they get or once in awhile a gift from a friend)