Harvesting rare rates

Ashandra

Hello I haven’t gone pecking rocks in a while . My stats window on Character shows around 60% rare harvest chance and over 100% double harvest chance and yet after an hour of pecking rocks I got no rares so I gave it way and logged out.

My question is has something changed as my stats show I should be getting a rare a lot higher then zero per hour rate?

Denmum

Wielder of the Rolling Pin of Doom
Staff member
Developer
The 60% isn't a flat 60% chance to get rares, but an adjustment to your chance to get rares in that zone, which makes it a much smaller number. I don't know the exact math, as that is handled by Itemization, but the RNG also always plays a role in it.

Do make sure, however, that you are at a skill level toharvest rares in the zone you are harvesting. (Right-click the node to see what the minimum skill needed is to get rares, then check your character sheet to be sure you have that skill level or higher. :D)

Melkior

Some fun math to demonstrate how little Rare Harvest Chance increases help your harvest rate: I am not sure what the actual native chance to harvest rares are, but I always assumed it was somewhere between .5% and 1.5%.

At .5%, a 60% RH chance would mean .8%. (100% RH chance would give you 1%.)
At 1.0%, a 60% RH Chance would mean 1.6%. (100% RH chance would give you 2%.)
At 1.5% a 60% RH chance would mean 2.4%. (100% RH chance would give you 3%.)

Given the way RNG works, that essentially means without tons of samples, you won't really be able to tell whether your RH chance is doing much. I mean if I got 3 per 100 harvests or 1, I'd just think that was bad luck that run not that my gear made a difference..

Petseeyou

I've been working on a Youtube series for gathering and their rates with 100% in both rare harvest and bountiful harvest through every tier. I have been doing 1 hour gathering sessions with ACT's harvesting tracker open in each tier. I have exported the data into CSVs so i can analyze and make charts and stuff for the Youtube video. But I'll also need to go through and do harvest session with no harvesting skill to see how bad that is.

The way it seems to have worked over time is that needed items use more and more rares to make, but harvesting yields fewer and fewer rares the higher the tier. So the time sink of trying to keep up with needed items grows bigger and bigger with each new tier.

Balcerak

I've always found that rares were always available if you have even a decent amount of rare chance. I get all mine while doing Herald quests to gather sharp spines or whatever. But over say 20% rare 'chance' it seems to have greatly diminishing returns. So as your 'rare chance' goes up, it does so at a slower rate the higher it is.

Balcerak

I also liked the 'good ol days' when nodes didn't disappear after a certain amount of time. I got lots of rares just by knowing the nodes that others tended to ignore and all the rares would end up there. But now they shift by themselves I believe?

Balcerak

Harvesting nodes will eventually despawn and be replaced. This is actually a good thing.
Yeah, I know :) but I was happy when I could take advantage of something few others seemed to understand. I could stay at the nodes that didn't get much attention and eventually they'd have all the rares pushed to them.

Denmum

Wielder of the Rolling Pin of Doom
Staff member
Developer
Yeah, I know :) but I was happy when I could take advantage of something few others seemed to understand. I could stay at the nodes that didn't get much attention and eventually they'd have all the rares pushed to them.

It doesn't actually work that way, but everyone has their own harvesting rituals and beliefs. :D (Rares are not determined until the harvesting pull, since it checks the player's harvesting skills before giving them an item, so there is nothing to be pushed.)

Vlkodlak

While I appreciate the fun of this forum, the truth is that the rare chance rates are ruining the in-game economy for many items. Between the bot harvesters and hoarders buying all the rares to resell them, it drives the prices through the roof. I would like to see the rare items have their drop rates increased immensely to help bring the prices down and stop the over charging that is all over the game currently. Rare harvests don't mean what it used to; they are what is expected to be harvested now in order to just maintain daily use items.

Xavion

is there nay point to harvest skills over the initial min req to getting rares? like if i have 20k harvest skills over the 600 to get a rare is that doing anything??? or is just hiting the 600 is good it needs to be?

Bakual

I feel I harvest more rare from low level ressources than from current ones. So I would say yes, higher skills relative to the node raises the rare harvest chance. But that's just subjective feeling, not measured data :)

Most of my rares come from the harvesting pony anyway as I'm not actively harvesting. Running that pony every time it's up, nets quite a bit of rares.

Smashey

Harvesting in BoZ with the following stats: 115% Bountiful, 130.5% Rare Harvest Chance and 4022 gathering skills I get about a 3.40% to 3.60% rare harvest rate with 1001 gathering attempts in Splendor Sky Aerie and its pretty much always in that range.

I did some tests in RoR that can be seen here - It seems like the rare harvest chance in BoZ is half of what it was in RoR.

My advice to new players is to not bother getting Rare Harvest Chance and just focus on getting 100% Bountiful. The time investment in getting all the items is too high for the gain. Unless you got the time, then obvious go ahead.

Last edited:

Lateana

Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004
I rarely harvest anymore. It is just too frustrating since the big nerf. I send out all my pack ponies and harvest from my plants and eventually get the rares I need and have a lot more time to do other things in game. It does help to have over 100 toons for this to work though ;)