Enhance Let It Burn (I, II, III)

Nabu

veteran infrequent poster
Let it Burn, as a signature spell should be both insta cast (could easily link it to increments of frozen solid like E'Ci's) and hit for close to the tooltip (it never hits for more than 40% of the tooltip maximum due to many contributing factors, the main one being spell damage is severely mitigated compared with direct damage of other classes). But given there is nothing for a Wizard like casting while moving (without spending aa points to do it, then it's a measly 18 seconds) and having such a long build up time for increments and resetting Rays of Disintegration from slow casting Ball of Fire, LiB enhancement would be a valuable addition to the wizard casting order IF it was insta cast and maximum hitting at all times.

Let it burn is supposed to be THE nuke on the wiz but due to long recast and crazy cast time it's really a net loss in DPS. I could see something in AA that reduces cast time would be a warm welcome. Even if added it to like the stack system..

Since the stacks on both sorcs basically never get used because of their own damage that uses stacks being garbage.

Lemmehealu

I think the biggest culprit here is the base cast time. I'd like to see it have the same base cast time as Solar Flare of 2 seconds. Solar Flare and Let it Burn are tied together as a family in Enhance Solar Flare on our wizard page. Then it's left out of Strike of the Mage on our Shadows page.wizaa.png
Lets add Let it Burn to Strike of the Mage.

I believe these 2 changes would be sufficient.

Elosul

Let it Burn, as a signature spell should be both insta cast (could easily link it to increments of frozen solid like E'Ci's) and hit for close to the tooltip (it never hits for more than 40% of the tooltip maximum due to many contributing factors, the main one being spell damage is severely mitigated compared with direct damage of other classes). But given there is nothing for a Wizard like casting while moving (without spending aa points to do it, then it's a measly 18 seconds) and having such a long build up time for increments and resetting Rays of Disintegration from slow casting Ball of Fire, LiB enhancement would be a valuable addition to the wizard casting order IF it was insta cast and maximum hitting at all times.
observed the same - the tooltip says (e.g. in raids) 40-60T and normal hit's are about 20Tish. sometime with high critial hits but it's like one out of ten... sure there is math and combat mitigation (sadly mitigating against spell dmg is different than against melee dmg) going on, but nevertheless it feels awkward.

Lemmehealu

I think you're right about the gate on our damage as well. All of our big hitters aren't getting through it.
1711897365261.png

They're hitting a ceiling

Reshi

Make it insta cast and hit for maximum every time.
is this a joke?

All I see (not just here) from every class here is make me TOP DPS and I don't care how you do it!

Now I think wizards, locks, sin and rangers should top parse having situational advantage over each other but lets not change the flavour of the class and turn every class the same. The whole fantasy/roleplay flavour of the wizard is slow casting glass canon.

I saw another request from someone similar to this, let us cast on the move!!

Some of these so called issues are not really class balance issue at all but rather lack of encounter design. All the raids mobs this expansion are the SAME so burst class dominate. What people should ask is variety of encounters for everyone to shine.

SgtPmpkn

I am all for having wizards being a slow cast glass cannon, but currently we are missing the glass cannon side of the equation.

If you compare wizards to the other glass cannon classes - Warlock, Assassin, Ranger, BL (perhaps, but they have tons of utility) - Wizards seem to be lacking and never a good Mimic target because Scouts are so bursty.

Make Wizards the masters of devastation, they were intended to be - I would love some challenge in playing the class and nuance, but right now when I cast, I feel so far behind my Scout counterparts.

(the above comments and feelings are from a player who has mained a wizards since EQ2 launched - I was there being a mana battery in raids at launch due to raid mobs have elemental immunities, through all the changes the class has been through, and now want it back to basics of huge boom for the buck - we have no utility besides a dmg proc for allies)

enotirab

Some of these so called issues are not really class balance issue at all but rather lack of encounter design. All the raids mobs this expansion are the SAME so burst class dominate. What people should ask is variety of encounters for everyone to shine.
I don't disagree, but we know that isn't going to happen. And even if it it going to happen, this is not the forum we were provided. We have a chance to try and address deficits in our classes so of course we're asking for increases to abilities that we think are possible.

Now I'm with you that adding more instant cast mechanics isn't a great fit for wizards. The simplest thing to do would simply tune up their damage on all spells by 15% but that is also not something we are allowed to ask here. So I think we are playing wack-o-mole for solutions.

Some smarter people than myself have suggested wizards lean more on their single target nukes rather than dots, because that is the original roots of the class. And that is what I think they were made to do best. But all of that just requires a more complex and nuanced discussion and would require major adjustment time.

Nabu

veteran infrequent poster
To clarify, insta cast and casting through movement are simple mechanics that might allow us to catch up, but by no means are a preference to the wiz being a complete killer on single target (just like they used to be). But in the absence of a widescale and overall class balancing (which isn't going to happen when everyone is asking for boost, boost, boost), the logic is above as Eno said, either boost wiz on all spells, abilities and procs by 15% or give things that create some balance. Time being limited, what can we get through to make a difference...

Shwetty

LiB = Decimation = Not worth casting
imho, the other wizard spells like BoF, IC, and Fusion are the ones that need attention because they underperform

Alexstrasza

I think the biggest culprit here is the base cast time. I'd like to see it have the same base cast time as Solar Flare of 2 seconds. Solar Flare and Let it Burn are tied together as a family in Enhance Solar Flare on our wizard page. Then it's left out of Strike of the Mage on our Shadows page.View attachment 138
Lets add Let it Burn to Strike of the Mage.

I believe these 2 changes would be sufficient.
The Problem with all wizard abilities atm is the cast time vs damage output, they take too long to cast for the damage output thus putting wizards far behind the pack of Tier 1 dps atm.