Economy on AB

Kenn

The economy is horrible on AB would do the server well if 90% of the plat was removed across the board for the entire server. Broker could be used again.
I think it might be a legal problem if they wiped the plat out because players paid real money for Kronos. What do people need plat for other than buying collections, Krono and masters? None of that breaks the game, so I don't think Daybreak cares if players are swapping good around with plat, and the plat is out of sight.

Azkadelia

The economy on MD is out of control as well. I was voicing my thoughts on the new Beta testing about hoping there would be no outrageous plat. I was on EQ when EQ2 was announced. I switched to EQ2 and never looked back. I Loved the new EQ! I loved the players that had gone through the beta(I wasn't chosen) would help people new to the game. I also noted that if a person asked for help there was often more offers than you needed. Help with Signiture and HQ quests was easy to get. I actually stoppped playing for almost 2 years. I noticed it wasn't fun, no help, no friendships. I only started playing a couple weeks ago.
I always sell my items for a reasonable amount. I can't support those who as 1 billion in plat for a rare shiny!
Anyway, I hope the game becomes fun again. I hope others are happy to play because they like to explore, help others, and remember this is supposed to be fun!
Lots of Love to those of us who have been here since the beginning!

ZUES

Ya not to mention spells. In some cases the rares cost too much. The spells cant be listed over 50 mil so noone makes and sells them. It would be a loss in revenue. So they're not available. So players are weaker as a result. Which effects player retention. It's effecting gameplay on many levels. Kronos were a terrible idea. It paid the bills I suppose. It's time to undo their damage.

Merging servers is a quick solution, but not a fix. The market will see more of everything. Players will buy. Once they have what they need they'll stop buying and competition lowers prices. It has to start with merges.

Last edited:

Avianna

I think it might be a legal problem if they wiped the plat out because players paid real money for Kronos. What do people need plat for other than buying collections, Krono and masters? None of that breaks the game, so I don't think Daybreak cares if players are swapping good around with plat, and the plat is out of sight.
No legal problem at all because it clearly states that in game items have no monetary value real world. So even though you paid real money for it the thing you purchased still carries no monetary value.

Avianna

The economy on MD is out of control as well. I was voicing my thoughts on the new Beta testing about hoping there would be no outrageous plat. I was on EQ when EQ2 was announced. I switched to EQ2 and never looked back. I Loved the new EQ! I loved the players that had gone through the beta(I wasn't chosen) would help people new to the game. I also noted that if a person asked for help there was often more offers than you needed. Help with Signiture and HQ quests was easy to get. I actually stoppped playing for almost 2 years. I noticed it wasn't fun, no help, no friendships. I only started playing a couple weeks ago.
I always sell my items for a reasonable amount. I can't support those who as 1 billion in plat for a rare shiny!
Anyway, I hope the game becomes fun again. I hope others are happy to play because they like to explore, help others, and remember this is supposed to be fun!
Lots of Love to those of us who have been here since the beginning!
I was in the original beta myself and yeah, I completely agree with you, hence why my post. Right now on AB even if they removed 90% of the plat and the economy reflected that by reducing prices by 90% a krono would still sell for 1 billion plat. So realistically they could reduce the plat by 99% on the server and still have a healthy economy more in line with how much plat should be in the game.

Forestchild

No legal problem at all because it clearly states that in game items have no monetary value real world. So even though you paid real money for it the thing you purchased still carries no monetary value.
FIrst of all; if they removed ANY percentage of the plat from the game to try to stop the inflation rise, you would have multiple players "rage quitting" so to speak. Because I, like so many others paid RL money for stuff (anything ingame), that would be a killer for us. I don't cheat or dupe or anything of the kind. and to punish me and the other "good" population would be the death of Darkpaw games/Everquest2 in general.

I think what will help the Origin server is the fact that the said:
  • Krono will not be able to be consumed, traded, or sold on an Origins server.
Because of that. there shouldn't be ANYTHING that is over say 20k Gold for awhile. Unless: somebody uses a dupe or cheat that wasn't caught way back when and fixed.

Avianna

Ya not to mention spells. In some cases the rares cost too much. The spells cant be listed over 50 mil so noone makes and sells them. It would be a loss in revenue. So they're not available. So players are weaker as a result. Which effects player retention. It's effecting gameplay on many levels. Kronos were a terrible idea. It paid the bills I suppose. It's time to undo their damage.

Merging servers is a quick solution, but not a fix. The market will see more of everything. Players will buy. Once they have what they need they'll stop buying and competition lowers prices. It has to start with merges.
Exactly! although a server merge will not solve anything. It has to start with the removal of the flood of plat. There is too much plat printed so its value is diminished. There have been many instances where people have douped or abused the game over the last 20 years in ways that helped to create this flood of currency. Now its spiraled so far out of control that the game cannot even be played the way it is intended to be. I would love to see a game with a thriving broker economy where you could look on the broker and find whatever you want rather than people not listing it because the price goes beyond the mechanical limits of the broker. Yeah, you could up the limits of the broker and the amount of plat you can trade another player at a time but that would be more of a work around the problem. The real solution is to eliminate the flood of currency and bring the game back to the prices that were intended.

Avianna

FIrst of all; if they removed ANY percentage of the plat from the game to try to stop the inflation rise, you would have multiple players "rage quitting" so to speak. Because I, like so many others paid RL money for stuff (anything ingame), that would be a killer for us. I don't cheat or dupe or anything of the kind. and to punish me and the other "good" population would be the death of Darkpaw games/Everquest2 in general.

I think what will help the Origin server is the fact that the said:
  • Krono will not be able to be consumed, traded, or sold on an Origins server.
Because of that. there shouldn't be ANYTHING that is over say 20k Gold for awhile. Unless: somebody uses a dupe or cheat that wasn't caught way back when and fixed.
I don't see why anyone would "rage quit" as long as the plat was removed across the board you would lose the same percentage as every other player. so you would not "lose" anything other than the amount of zeros everything costs. I too paid RL money for stuff and that stuff would still be there again you haven't "lost" anything. I don't cheat or dupe either. it's not a "punishment" of any kind.

I agree that not allowing Krono on the Origin server is a big step in the right direction, but it's not enough to stop there. I remember a game before Krono's existed. I also remember a game where 350 plat for a krono was a lot. The only way to get back to that is to remove the abundance.

Chath

They need to add massive plat sinks that let players get shortcuts to whatever we're chasing after for a given expansion and let that burn through the economy. Example - let players buy masks for, say, somewhere between 100 million to a billion platinum each. That would only be relevant for right now, but would slowly hit the massive oversupply of platinum that's choked the economy to death. Effects like 'money sink' are good but probably a very tiny fraction of what's needed to have any meaningful impact on the economy. Positioning these platinum sinks on a per-expansion basis lets you evaluate prices annually until the economy approaches something sane again when a 50 million platinum broker limit doesn't turn us into a barter system.

Avianna

They need to add massive plat sinks that let players get shortcuts to whatever we're chasing after for a given expansion and let that burn through the economy. Example - let players buy masks for, say, somewhere between 100 million to a billion platinum each. That would only be relevant for right now, but would slowly hit the massive oversupply of platinum that's choked the economy to death. Effects like 'money sink' are good but probably a very tiny fraction of what's needed to have any meaningful impact on the economy. Positioning these platinum sinks on a per-expansion basis lets you evaluate prices annually until the economy approaches something sane again when a 50 million platinum broker limit doesn't turn us into a barter system.
I think this is good, but the problem is it is so ludicrously out of whack right now that even if you instantly removed 90% of the plat from the game a krono would still be selling for 1 billion on AB. Plus, that would only take plat from the lower casual population the higher population wouldn't need it as their raid guild gets them all the goodies, so they have abundance and do not need to spend plat on anything and sell the casual population their abundance of gear and such. I think that this would be a good move to keep it under control once it got under control but to use this to bring it under control would take many, many years.

Chath

I think it depends on what you would let people buy. Say they were fragments of time - there's no raid shortcut to getting more of those, and people need a ludicrous amount in order to max their characters. I'm not sure what price point would make people spend money and drain it out of the economy for fragments - would people spend 100 million on a fragment? But it does seem like there'd be some value that you could attach that might move the needle a bit.

Avianna

I think it depends on what you would let people buy. Say they were fragments of time - there's no raid shortcut to getting more of those, and people need a ludicrous amount in order to max their characters. I'm not sure what price point would make people spend money and drain it out of the economy for fragments - would people spend 100 million on a fragment? But it does seem like there'd be some value that you could attach that might move the needle a bit.
I think a combination of efforts to address it on many fronts may be needed to get it under control this being one very good idea.

Cyrrena

A merge would be alright, BUT, this is a roleplaying server and there is an active roleplaying community. That community was driven underground into houses and guild halls by people transferring to AB because we had new hardware and little to no lag. Those same people transferring were griefers and we found that the only solution, was to go underground. We received no assistance from the "powers that be" at the time. This should remain a roleplaying server.

Avianna

A merge would be alright, BUT, this is a roleplaying server and there is an active roleplaying community. That community was driven underground into houses and guild halls by people transferring to AB because we had new hardware and little to no lag. Those same people transferring were griefers and we found that the only solution, was to go underground. We received no assistance from the "powers that be" at the time. This should remain a roleplaying server.
I miss the old days of EQ2, it was much more roleplay friendly, so much so that if you had a problem and you sent in a ticket "in character" you would receive a response from SOE also "in character". I once lost an item; I sent in a ticket and got an official response from two orcs and a wheelbarrow moving company. It was little things like that where even the customer service responses were "in character" that made this game shine far above others out there.

Vlkodlak

Removing plat from the game that many players have worked since game launch to acquire is a ridiculous idea. This same idea comes up in every single MMO game platform, those with less currency want to remove the currency from those that have. If you want to drop the prices on the broker, then flood the market with the items, remove the rare tag from harvests and make them common drops. Remove the drops of spells etc, and make them merchant purchasable with this plethora of in game currency we all have. Boom, prices will fall like a rock.

Add in realistic plat sinks or items for plat that are actually useful. Spell reductions, zone resets, reforging etc. Not major reductions, 1-2 hours reductions, trade plat for market place credit, their are endless ways to do it, just have to want to.

No business is going to remove an item that makes money for the business, Krono's sell steadily and make them a profit. The market went crazy when they shut down transfers from IoR, open that market back up and all the servers will see a decrease in the plat and broker costs.

Avianna

Removing plat from the game that many players have worked since game launch to acquire is a ridiculous idea. This same idea comes up in every single MMO game platform, those with less currency want to remove the currency from those that have. If you want to drop the prices on the broker, then flood the market with the items, remove the rare tag from harvests and make them common drops. Remove the drops of spells etc, and make them merchant purchasable with this plethora of in game currency we all have. Boom, prices will fall like a rock.

Add in realistic plat sinks or items for plat that are actually useful. Spell reductions, zone resets, reforging etc. Not major reductions, 1-2 hours reductions, trade plat for market place credit, their are endless ways to do it, just have to want to.

No business is going to remove an item that makes money for the business, Krono's sell steadily and make them a profit. The market went crazy when they shut down transfers from IoR, open that market back up and all the servers will see a decrease in the plat and broker costs.
Most of the plat in game is not "hard earned plat" it is the result of exploits and dupes from a 20-year-old game and not just exploits and dupes in this game but in all games companywide. Thanks to krono, an exploit on one server in one game becomes an exploit on every server in every game. It's not about being rich or poor the rich will still be rich even with a plat reduction, the poor will still be poor, the only thing being removed is how many zeros everything costs. If you removed 90% of plat across the board a rich person would lose 90% of their plat and a poor person would also lose 90% of theirs. Status and wealth gap would not change. However instead of a krono costing 10 billion plat it would cost 1 billion plat. The broker would be useful again, and the game could be played more along the lines as it was intended. Realistically even a 90% plat removal would still be not enough.