Computer Crisis!

FalconClash

I received a notice from Windows that Win 10 is going to be retired next year, and that my current laptop doesn't qualify for upgrading to Win 11.

I need recommendations on decent, but cheap Laptops that can handle EQ2, with room to spare. 300-350$ or less US, if possible.

Forestchild

Just because it's going to be retired, doesn't mean they will phase it out right away, it will take about an year or more to complete get rid of win10. All it means is that you won't get updates from Micro-craption company. I know people that still are using win7 and are just fine with it. Just not getting security updates. and frankly, most of those security updates that we get are crap-o-la anyways.

So you should be good anyhow. if you want to upgrade to win11, you can google or youtube stuff on links that will allow you to get a copy from microsoft website and create your own or download somebody else's. It's not hard at all.

Hartay

Keeper of the Server Hamsters
When looking to upgrade, make sure you have at least 8GB of ram, the more the better. EQII might not run the greatest on an integrated graphics card, but take a look here for some ideas. Some might be a little above your price range.

FalconClash

Its had me so badly stressed. Even though I have over a year to find a new Laptop. I be might be able to push 400-something$, it would just take longer to save that much.

Every one I've seen has integrated graphics. Is there even another kind?

Hartay

Its had me so badly stressed. Even though I have over a year to find a new Laptop. I be might be able to push 400-something$, it would just take longer to save that much.

Every one I've seen has integrated graphics. Is there even another kind?
There are, however those tend to be in the thousands. I'm not saying a lower end laptop wouldn't run EQII that has an integrated card, but you might be locked to settings below "Balanced", like "Very High Performance" with FPS limitations and hiccups. Have you considered a desktop? or is the laptop needed for portability?

Hartay

I don't have Internet at home. I have to use a public source like a coffee shop, or a relative's house.
Then yes. The ones linked previously should get the job done. Just be mindful of the specs. If you find one you can PM me and I'll give you the skinny on it.

Tkia

Only one recommendation -stop panicing and do nothing. If it's a year till they do it, and as Evilary says it will be phased so will actually take even longer, there's no need to rush. If you wait until it's actually necessary to replace then not only will you get a more up to date machine you'll have had time to save up more money to get a better quality one.

Evilary

Only one recommendation -stop panicing and do nothing. If it's a year till they do it, and as Evilary says it will be phased so will actually take even longer, there's no need to rush. If you wait until it's actually necessary to replace then not only will you get a more up to date machine you'll have had time to save up more money to get a better quality one.
Wait...I said what?

Circadian

I’d take your time and save for an eventual upgrade. Windows 10 will continue to function for several more years but they are considering charging $ for security updates. When they talk about phasing it out they are mostly referring to any future updates and customer service.

Forestchild

I would be happy with not receiving updates from lying-spying Micro-crap company. As long as you stay away from bad sites, (ie~****, hacking, downloading sites) you should be fine. I know family members and friends that have gotten viruses/maleware crap, but not me, because since I know a fraction of computer knowledge, I look what I download and view.
I also stay away from Spying Face-"look at my pictures and stuff for free" company as well. It's only a **** site as well. Don't believe me, look at the kiddie videos starting to pop up with little ones dancing for the camera. Sickening. DOWN With Facebook. Ban them along with tik-tok.

FalconClash

A couple years ago one Win update came with a nasty virus attached. It ate everything and cost me 260$ to have a guy at Staples fix it, then I had to redownload everything, including EQ2. The version of the Map Updater wasn't as good as the one I had before.

axxis32

No need to panic... windows 7 reached EoS (end of support) in 2020, its ESU (extended security updates) ended in 2023 (EoL, end of life). So you will still have a few years left. (Windows 8 follows the timeline for win7 too).

Win10 has its EoS (end of support) date late 2025, then you have the option for ESU (extended security updates) for a few more years (if you pay for it). (I think the options are 1-3 years, and priced accordingly, this option were previously only offered to companies, but it seems that for win10, private customers can get the option too)