Chessboard by Unrest

Celestia

What is the story behind this place? And does it have any significance to the Stormhold chessboard?

Randalph

EQ2Wire Ambassador
Legend has it that Brell and Bristlebane built this chessboard long ago and challenged one another for dominance of the region. Brell won and that is why Faydwer is filled with dwarves and gnomes and Bristlebanes halflings instead got to live in ancient Antonica.

If I remember correctly this legend was made up entirely outside of the game by a developer who answered a question during a Q&A way back in the 00's when they still did SoE Live events. There is no actual in game lore about the chessboard in EQ1 or EQ2. It was in EQ1 so when they decided to make Butcherblock for EQ2, they simply just kept it in the zone as an iconic Everquest art piece.

Last edited:

Cusashorn

Legend has it that Brell and Bristlebane built this chessboard long ago and challenged one another for dominance of the region. Brell won and that is why Faydwer is filled with dwarves and gnomes and Bristlebanes halflings instead got to live in ancient Antonica.

If I remember correctly this legend was made up entirely outside of the game by a developer who answered a question during a Q&A way back in the 00's when they still did SoE Live events. There is no actual in game lore about the chessboard in EQ1 or EQ2. It was in EQ1 so when they decided to make Butcherblock for EQ2, they simply just kept it in the zone as an iconic Everquest art piece.

This. Everything here. There's never been any actual in-game lore surrounding the chessboard other than what a developer has told us.

Forestchild

I think it would be neat if we had an Avatar Fight on the chessboard. or some type of named public fight. The names could be the King and Queen and the adds the bishop and rooks and stuff.

Krov

It's a hommage to EQ1 and Diku muds.

The original EQ was based on a text based mud , the stock version of Diku has a chessboard.

Cusashorn

It's a hommage to EQ1 and Diku muds.

The original EQ was based on a text based mud , the stock version of Diku has a chessboard.
This is the first I'm hearing of it, after decades of being told how the original EQ was based off a D&D campaign.

Krov

This is the first I'm hearing of it, after decades of being told how the original EQ was based off a D&D campaign.
I suggest you do a google search for EQ and Diku .

Everquest is based on a Diku mud that was based on D&D in general , EQ developed there own code base but the similarities are undeniable.

The Diku I am speaking about was called Sojourn , muds are text based versions of the visual game you play ie EQ1 or EQ2.

Brad , was a well known player of Sojourn.

Cusashorn

Brad , was a well known player of Sojourn.
I do recall hearing this. I guess I just never put two and two together. Now that you've clarified, I never did hear if that D&D campaign was your standard table top session or not. I guess it just never occurred to me that it could've been online.

Krov

I do recall hearing this. I guess I just never put two and two together. Now that you've clarified, I never did hear if that D&D campaign was your standard table top session or not. I guess it just never occurred to me that it could've been online.
I have been playing these games since BBS , Circlemud , Dikumud , Sillymud and when www.mudconnector.com was the spot for gamers.

I have enjoyed the journey and seeing the evolution of the genre.

This goes from simple text based games to what we have now.

I have been blessed to have experienced and interacted with some of the legends of the industry , amazing guild leaders in world top tier guilds and consider some of them friends even a few on EQ2 :)