[Bug] Charm - Not Functioning Properly

Jokirr

So I'm going to combine the other mentions about charm so it's all in one place.
Currently on beta Coercer's Charm Pet does the following:
1. Transfers all of it's aggro to the caster
2. Doesn't use it's NPC Combat Art's or Spells (meaning it just auto attacks)

This is creating a massive class issue in terms of solo gameplay and in some minor issues with grouping as the pet is just another auto attacker (it's still supplying damage but it could be better hence minor).
The point of the charmed pet was to provide some utility and protection to the caster.

Please add this to the list as it's a big concern going into launch.

**I may have missed some other items, please add them so I can increase our list as needed**

redgiant

This seems like a big change not a minor one, given the era we are supposed to launch in.

- the removal of charm pet aggro was done long after the original or early game eras

- this greatly changes how a coercer can even play solo

- imagine this sort of change to any pet class, charmed or not

Moss

The charm nerf happen in 2022, this server promise was to get 2006 experience...

This is currently like playing the live or any TLE server, not anything like the "Origin" play style. I've no plan to play this server if its to get the live mechanics.

Outside of raid the coercer charm was THE essence of the coercer class. Finding the best target to charm with the best abilities (dps and buff with max level) in every zone, micro managing our aggro and CCs.

The coercer class was ruined with this nerf and is going to be ruined on this TLE server too if its not changed back. Coercer charm had no issue until they introduced mobs with deathtouch abilities way later in the game.

Rijacki

Since I played an Arasai coercer, I know the change to nerf charmed heroics+ to only the non-heroic damage/abilities was after Echos of Faydwer 'cause I remember it happening, but the charmed pets still did use spells and combat arts depending on the 'class' of the charmed pet. I came back to the game to find charm nerfed even more and the current utterly decimated version of charm is what's present on Origins. While I understand the heroics nerf and that wouldn't be entirely inordinate to Origins though not 2006 mechanics, the current version of charm makes is next to useless.

On Origins currently, the illusionist personae can cast spell and also auto attack and agro is not immediately and entirely transferred to the illusionist. It is possible, as an illusionist, to take on a trio and keep 2 mezzed while the personae does the majority of damage to the third and the illusionist isn't taking damage. A coercer can use charm as a CC for one of a three and mez another, but the damage addition by the charmed is negligible while the entire time the coerver is being hit by any mezzed or charmed (lots of interrupts) and has to do the majority of the damage to each. The balance between these two paired classes (both 'enchanter') is non-existant now since the early balance was set up with the early charm in mind. Aside from personae/charm, most of the early spells for the enchanter classes are the same. Personae as it is now is massively better than charm.

Yes, charm was never a good raid mechanic and was sometimes not the wisest group mechanic, but in its current form it is nearly useless even in solo.

As it is currently, coercers have high risk if they use charm with absolutely zero reward for doing so. The coercer possess essence is added much later (shortly after the nerf to the heroic+ charms) so the coercer is left with marginal abilities in comparison to the illusionist.

Jokirr

Since I played an Arasai coercer, I know the change to nerf charmed heroics+ to only the non-heroic damage/abilities was after Echos of Faydwer 'cause I remember it happening, but the charmed pets still did use spells and combat arts depending on the 'class' of the charmed pet. I came back to the game to find charm nerfed even more and the current utterly decimated version of charm is what's present on Origins. While I understand the heroics nerf and that wouldn't be entirely inordinate to Origins though not 2006 mechanics, the current version of charm makes is next to useless.

On Origins currently, the illusionist personae can cast spell and also auto attack and agro is not immediately and entirely transferred to the illusionist. It is possible, as an illusionist, to take on a trio and keep 2 mezzed while the personae does the majority of damage to the third and the illusionist isn't taking damage. A coercer can use charm as a CC for one of a three and mez another, but the damage addition by the charmed is negligible while the entire time the coerver is being hit by any mezzed or charmed (lots of interrupts) and has to do the majority of the damage to each. The balance between these two paired classes (both 'enchanter') is non-existant now since the early balance was set up with the early charm in mind. Aside from personae/charm, most of the early spells for the enchanter classes are the same. Personae as it is now is massively better than charm.

Yes, charm was never a good raid mechanic and was sometimes not the wisest group mechanic, but in its current form it is nearly useless even in solo.

As it is currently, coercers have high risk if they use charm with absolutely zero reward for doing so. The coercer possess essence is added much later (shortly after the nerf to the heroic+ charms) so the coercer is left with marginal abilities in comparison to the illusionist.
I will have to go back and look at that but I do remember in Ruins of Kunark going outside of Veeshan's Peak to charm the guards at the door which were heroic ^^^, they were by far the strongest targets in that zone because I used them to speed run through the quest lines with it.

Not saying there weren't changes post Echos, but yea the changes in 2022 really don't make sense considering that Possess Essence had been the staple skill for Coercer for years, you would just target a fighter NPC then make an essence of it and give it your aggro buff.

Charm honestly has been phased out Live for a considerable amount of time.
So while I may have mis-titled the thread as a "bug" it's more accurately a "We need to roll this back because it's not how Charm WAS in this era".

Last edited:

Rijacki

I will have to go back and look at that but I do remember in Ruins of Kunark going outside of Veeshan's Peak to charm the guards at the door which were heroic ^^^, they were by far the strongest targets in that zone because I used them to speed run through the quest lines with it.

Not saying there weren't changes post Echos, but yea the changes in 2022 really don't make sense considering that Possess Essence had been the staple skill for Coercer for years, you would just target a fighter NPC then make an essence of it and give it your aggro buff.

Charm honestly has been phased out Live for a considerable amount of time.
So while I may have mis-titled the thread as a "bug" it's more accurately a "We need to roll this back because it's not how Charm WAS in this era".
You could charm heroics, it's just sometime after RoK the heroics and higher would not have their heroic abilities when charmed but would be the same as a non-heroic of the same type. It was a big nerf for the time, but not as much as whatever later nerf that neutered the charm pet completely and rendered them useless with only auto-attack melee and no spells or abilities and all hate being transferred to the coercer immediately.

Before I started on beta, I played a small bit on a new character, a warden, and was considering buying the expansion and bumping my coercer from before to whatever the heroic boost in the expansion bundle because I do miss playing her. But, after playing a coercer on beta, I won't. It would absolutely break my heart. I am adapting, a bit, to the neutered charm on a low level but I also have an illy of about the same level on beta and the difference between personae and charm currently makes charm feel absolutely... broken.