Autoattack

Sadus

Why are so many of the Beastlord's skills and alternate advancements linked to Autoattack when Autoattack plays absolutely no role? Even the Epic Spell has an autoattack component.

Miaga

Auto attack does matter but it's less than it used to be, if you pick auto attack skills and use other items (scrolls, adorns etc) then in raids it can still provide useful free dps, it won't top your parse but can make the top 10 without issue. The trouble is that aas and abilities have been around for a long time and over the course of that time auto attack has been good, bad and indifferent but aa and abilities rarely get changed, if they changed then now to another stat and in 2 months tune auto attack can top parses then would we want then to change them back again.

Personally I dislike auto attack, it's lazy and basically afk dps, if they bought it back that you had to time your abilities to hit in between auto attack swings and made auto attack damage a bit higher then that would not be so bad but when auto tops people parses it's really not great as you could just go afk while doing dps.

Seth

Auto attack does matter but it's less than it used to be, if you pick auto attack skills and use other items (scrolls, adorns etc) then in raids it can still provide useful free dps, it won't top your parse but can make the top 10 without issue. The trouble is that aas and abilities have been around for a long time and over the course of that time auto attack has been good, bad and indifferent but aa and abilities rarely get changed.
I as an assassin, Have used Scrolls, Swapped AA's, Ran Certain Adornments, Assassin's probably have the most AA's related to auto attack.
I can confirm, Auto Attacks play absolutely 0 role in this current content.
I agree with the OP. There is an element in this game which is not actually working as it should be intended.

Auto Attacks used to be good/viable. Now they are irrelevant.

Sadus

I've tried everything possible. neither items nor group composition really help. darkpaw can do without autoattack completely for all I care. They can replace all the autoattack buffs with something useful

Miaga

Not sure on sins but on swashie I can make it work, on bl I can make it work, yes it is no where near where it used to be but can still make it hit for a good amount (normally about 5% of my parse) when you think it's free dps then it's still OK. I would say in group content it's useless but then that's cos everything dies so quickly, in raid it's different though.

If it was me I would remove all auto attack from the game, there are far to many things to balance now, auto attack is a boring mechanic that takes up to many stats, got to be 7 or 8 stats just for auto attack

Seth

Not sure on sins but on swashie I can make it work, on bl I can make it work, yes it is no where near where it used to be but can still make it hit for a good amount (normally about 5% of my parse) when you think it's free dps then it's still OK.

If it was me I would remove all auto attack from the game, there are far to many things to balance now, auto attack is a boring mechanic that takes up to many stats, got to be 7 or 8 stats just for auto attack
fervor?

Miaga

I average around 800 flurry, 75 flurry multiplier, 3.5k wdb, 2.5 k dps (with ev), haste is always over 100 due to procs, then use all melee multiplier sources (scrolls, food) and yea can hit around 5% or so, some mobs more some less as guess they have different mit or if you have to joust it knocks it down. Also depends on fight length, short fights it's not as good long fights it's better.

Galorif

Not sure on sins but on swashie I can make it work, on bl I can make it work, yes it is no where near where it used to be but can still make it hit for a good amount (normally about 5% of my parse) when you think it's free dps then it's still OK. I would say in group content it's useless but then that's cos everything dies so quickly, in raid it's different though.

Same on bruiser. But the problem of removing auto all together is there are classes like bruiser/inq/swash, that would lose alot of luster, and the fact of adorments/stats

Miaga

Same on bruiser. But the problem of removing auto all together is there are classes like bruiser/inq/swash, that would lose alot of luster, and the fact of adorments/stats
Yea would take a lot of work to amend every ability/aa that boosts auto currently to something worthwhile, and for everyone that wants it removed there will be someone that wants it to stay.

Dezum

Why are so many of the Beastlord's skills and alternate advancements linked to Autoattack when Autoattack plays absolutely no role? Even the Epic Spell has an autoattack component.
It entirely depends on your raid setup and how you have your groups tailored. Beastlord does great auto attack damage if you have a group built around you for it.

Karsa

It's part of the class design, it is reinforced by the new epic ability, unfortunately melee is highly mitigated in this expac, unless you have specific group setup..like zerker, dirge, coercer, inquis, swashy, blord to stack all those melee multipliers then it show gains but nothing like expac where melee differences were much auto attack friendly

Vlkodlak

I feel the point of this thread was not to argue whether we get any benefit from the auto attack, its the fact that for the amount of auto attack AA's, melee multipliers, flurry multipliers, dps modifiers, that all of these combined take up far more modifiers than any other in the game, yet they yield by far the most useless amount of total DPS.

As it is now, in best case scenarios it may get up to 5% of the total parse, I don't think it's unreasonable to bring that up to 15%. All classes will benefit from the auto attack damage, but at least make the scouts feel that their AA's mean something.

Dezum

I feel the point of this thread was not to argue whether we get any benefit from the auto attack, its the fact that for the amount of auto attack AA's, melee multipliers, flurry multipliers, dps modifiers, that all of these combined take up far more modifiers than any other in the game, yet they yield by far the most useless amount of total DPS.

As it is now, in best case scenarios it may get up to 5% of the total parse, I don't think it's unreasonable to bring that up to 15%. All classes will benefit from the auto attack damage, but at least make the scouts feel that their AA's mean something.
You are flat out wrong about this as the class does excellent with auto attack right now. Just because you do not have a proper group configuration for it does not mean it is useless dps.

Vlkodlak

Perhaps reread the post. As each is entitled to their own opinion, but respectably 5% of total dps as auto attack is worthless when compared to the inordinate amount of AA's and modifiers that are pointed at increasing auto attack damage. It was only a handful of expansions ago when auto attack was closer to 40+%, so the reduction was quite noticeable. Asking for a fair increase to 15% is not out of the question nor would it break any class since all classes have the ability to utilize auto attack in one form or another.

Dezum

Perhaps reread the post. As each is entitled to their own opinion, but respectably 5% of total dps as auto attack is worthless when compared to the inordinate amount of AA's and modifiers that are pointed at increasing auto attack damage. It was only a handful of expansions ago when auto attack was closer to 40+%, so the reduction was quite noticeable. Asking for a fair increase to 15% is not out of the question nor would it break any class since all classes have the ability to utilize auto attack in one form or another.
I read the post. I receive 40% in raid for my auto attack. It's actually my top parsing thing next to claw of khati sha and savage ravaging. The only reduction was the need of having certain classes to properly buff the auto attack (inquisitor, dirge, coercer).

Vlkodlak

I would have to say that's pretty impressive if that is accurate. That would mean you were doing 80% auto attack prior to the nerf? In a group just are you described above, adding bolster and j cap from the outside, raiding last night I squeaked to 6.7% auto attack. Similar results from all the scouts in the raid, going back 50 raids from this year, doing the average for each the results are still the same showing that the average... is still 5%.
Auto attack has been broken for some time and its past due for an increase. Increasing it to 15% is a far cry from where it was in its hay day, and again the raid wide would benefit from the boost. If you are truly getting the numbers, you said above, then likely it is an exception and not the rule, but regardless of you also would benefit from the boost.

Jrox

Swashy's auto should be around 30-40% of their parse in the right grp makeup in a raid and when specced correctly and at the top of their parse. The only time it isn't is when you enter the newest raid zone and it drops to nothing or in the H3. That is due to over-tuning of the Mitigation in those zones. However, don't think changing a couple of AAs is going to fix it. You need the right group makeup and even group members specced a certain way to help support it. Once you do all of that, the whole group starts to see the impact it can make. But as a whole, it needs some serious overhaul in the AAs to make it shine and bring it back where it needs to be. And I don't call it free DPS when entire groups have to give up so many other things to make it work. What do they say? It takes a village... ;)