Steam Player Count

LAVONEGO

Good day Norrathians,

Why do more people not play through Steam? I am sure this has been questioned before and I can kind of assume the answer. But I do not quite understand (my assumed answer) because if we were to increase the player count on Steam wouldn't that draw more new and returning players to the game. Because it would move the game up on the list and tell people they are entering a populated game (which EQ2 is). (More or less I would think of this as free advertisement of the game that can be produced by the community)

I asked this now as a returning player that is hopeful about the new Origins server.

Anyways have a great day.

Respectfully,

Lavonego

Evilary

Well, I personally wouldn't want to install steam on my computer to run EQ2 when the default launcher takes care of the same job. I am sure I am not alone in this.

I would love to attract more players but I don't believe steam will do much as there are too many who do not use the steam app and probably never will.

Randalph

EQ2Wire Ambassador
I use steam because its just easier to click one button and have steam install all my games in one click when you format your computer.

For most people playing eq2 just downloading the launcher seems easier because steam is just a launcher launching a launcher to play eq2.

Rijacki

My accounts pre-date EQ/EQ2 on Steam by many years. As far as I know (or used to be), I would have to open new accounts and abandon my original accounts to play via Steam. That would mean I would lose all the claims and other special items I hare accrued over the many years. I would also have to give us characters I have played since EQ2 launch (and before that for EQ).

Orfalch

My accounts pre-date EQ/EQ2 on Steam by many years. As far as I know (or used to be), I would have to open new accounts and abandon my original accounts to play via Steam. That would mean I would lose all the claims and other special items I hare accrued over the many years. I would also have to give us characters I have played since EQ2 launch (and before that for EQ).
All Steam does is point to the EQ2 launcher and launch it from EQ2 directory. It does not do anything different than playing through the stand alone launcher. With Steam you just get some stat tracking and they have a discussion group tied to each game you have on Steam that are separate from the official game forums. All your login info for EQ2 is the same and has no effect whatsoever to your in game progression.