Reinforcement needs small tweak

dbb12345

This would be a direct nerf to the class. Auto attacks are being cast while we cast other spells and we have very high aoe attacks. This allows us to "reinforce" hate while casting other spells which helps proc our bread and butter "hold the line". This would also limit reinforces aoe coverage to 3 spells vs constantly procing while casting other spells/CAs. Please do not make this change.

Xavion

most auto attacks are limited to 2s a swing also woudln't your aoes hit thing proc reinforcement since its on hostile cast and apply to all those also like a melee hit would? not to mention the cast speed of most ca's are 0.25s which allow more attacks to go thru and proc renforcement. could just add a on melee hit or hostile cast to cover both

dbb12345

most auto attacks are limited to 2s a swing also woudln't your aoes hit thing proc reinforcement since its on hostile cast and apply to all those also like a melee hit would? not to mention the cast speed of most ca's are 0.25s which allow more attacks to go thru and proc renforcement. could just add a on melee hit or hostile cast to cover both
Partially true. A guardians only true flaw is aoe agro and reinforcement is our only good answer. We only have 3(ish) aoes so reinforcement with our 100% ae auto attacks helps to hit grps of mobs which in turn helps to proc hold the line. It is not the best but is out only option of holding large grps. If it was changed, then sure we would hold a single better, but once we cast our only 3 aoes we would be sol on a large (especially not linked encounter) fights. We would also be limited to the 8 targets per aoe vs now I can tab around and let my auto attacks pick up mobs my aoes missed (while still casting other cas). Not to get to long winded on how class breaking it would be but guardians have a healthy amount of def cas that we can reinforce and cast them behind the safety of reinforce. Lots of reasons why reinforce being taken off melee would be class breaking.

You mentioned adding to both, that would be crazy OP and not looking to get nerfed as we only recently became viable :)

Brewnor

I dont see this as "crazy OP". I have no issues with AOE agro management really as Plant is up enough to manage most situations but this change isnt a terrible idea.

dbb12345

Plant is great but again reinforcement change to cas/spells limits our AOE agro in very crucial moments. First aoes are limited to 8 targets and have long cooldowns. What would a guardian have in a situation where adds are constantly adding, very large non linked grps, or raid is pulling bulk amounts of targets to the guardian? Reinforcement is key to situations we have no other answers to. Changing to working to both is fine but taking off melee is class breaking.

Rhynoch

I believe it is already linked to both CAs and AOE Auto. Early on I was running Focused Defense constantly and didn't realise Reinforcement was linked to AOE Auto, so I would throw Reinforcement up and use AOE skills/Ascensions when Plant was on cooldown and the positional worked. But it would be nice if the wording said that.

Arclite

Plant is great but again reinforcement change to cas/spells limits our AOE agro in very crucial moments. First aoes are limited to 8 targets and have long cooldowns. What would a guardian have in a situation where adds are constantly adding, very large non linked grps, or raid is pulling bulk amounts of targets to the guardian? Reinforcement is key to situations we have no other answers to. Changing to working to both is fine but taking off melee is class breaking.

Yes, it is called using a tank that is designed to do AE content.

Group content is meaningless for an AE discussion here and I cannot recall a single raid encounter from the last 5 years where you have to hold/kill lots of adds together (and trash does not count) and even if you bring up an encounter (like the dragon in Sultan's Muhala where you need to hold aggro on named and adds) then get an AE tank to do just that!!

Not sure how taking off melee is class breaking?? Granted, the melee in this expansion is a lot of useful then it has been over the last few years but it is still nowhere close to where it once was where 50% or more of a guardians parse was AE auto attack and not having melee would lead to a sudden loss in aggro mid-fight.

Guardians need to be focused on their primary strength and that is a single target fight. Our biggest hit comes from dissociating limbs at celestial level and everything else is just a filler at the end of the day. This needs to change and any tool (including reinforcement) needs to be tweaked to make it useful for us to hold aggro on one target. The OP suggestion is a useful one.

dbb12345

Group content is meaningless for an AE discussion here and I cannot recall a single raid encounter from the last 5 years where you have to hold/kill lots of adds together (and trash does not count) and even if you bring up an encounter (like the dragon in Sultan's Muhala where you need to hold aggro on named and adds) then get an AE tank to do just that!!

Not sure how taking off melee is class breaking?? Granted, the melee in this expansion is a lot of useful then it has been over the last few years but it is still nowhere close to where it once was where 50% or more of a guardians parse was AE auto attack and not having melee would lead to a sudden loss in aggro mid-fight.

Guardians need to be focused on their primary strength and that is a single target fight. Our biggest hit comes from dissociating limbs at celestial level and everything else is just a filler at the end of the day. This needs to change and any tool (including reinforcement) needs to be tweaked to make it useful for us to hold aggro on one target. The OP suggestion is a useful one.
You misread. Making it strictly cas is a nerf.

Last edited:

Rhynoch

I think the implication is if you remove the extra AoE procs we get from auto-attack you are making it much harder for a Guardian to hold groups of unlinked mobs. As you implied Guards are not as well gifted in this area as some other tanks and while there may not be many raid zones where this is relevant, H2 Warrens is a good example where it definitely helps to have it proc on both melee hits and CA hits. But the original question is now moot since it already procs on CAs and why would we want it to proc less often by removing the proc from Auto-attack.