Level 7-10 on this server is up there with the worst MMO gaming experiences I’ve ever had.

Rijacki

When I say I did every quest, I mean it. I had more quests done at 9 than most people I talked to in their mid teens.
Odd how no one else can finish every single quest in the T1 areas around a city, after leaving the island and completing the quests there and doing the boat before, before hitting level 9. Did you have adventure XP disabled? Were you mentoring someone lower level? Were you intentionally only doing quests if the mobs were grey so no kill XP?

Soloing (or small grouping):

• The boat will take a character to level 2 before you complete the entire boat quest.
  • The Island, either side, without grinding any mobs outside of those required for the main quest line and maybe a few more that decide to try to kill your character for being in that area will bring you to at least level 4 but more likely 5 or 6, especially if you do most of the side quests and the 2 collections, too. You might even be able to get to 7 if you also do all the nameds and every side quest even the click and drop ones.
  • The racial quest from the mentor will get you most of the way through 1 level.
  • All the quests in Sunken City, Sprawl, Graveyard, Thieve's Way, and the Ruins on the Freeport side Or Peat Bog, Forest Ruins, Oakmyst Forest, The Down Below, and The Caves plus the quests from the city and 'burbs for those places not counting the quests in front of the city gates with the lower level (for the zone) mobs will take you past level 10 if you do them all for your side but you might need to move between them at different level ranges if the current main quest line gets tough.
If you intentionally skipped the boat and the island, yes, it might get a bit harder to get to level 10 on JUST the quests from your city side. If you have adventure XP disabled, you will definitely have a harder time getting to level 10. If you go out of your way to only engage orange and red mobs and die a lot because of that, you might have a harder time getting to level 10. Otherwise, I just cannot fathom how you managed to have a difficult time leveling 7 to 10.

Zarnafien

I am not experiencing this issue. I've found I don't get all the quests finished before I'm level 10. Are you going to all the suburbs and picking up quests? Also, The Welcome quest from reading the book? Captain Eitoa (sp?) outside NQ gives some running around quests for good xp.

I grab all the quests I find and head to Forest ruins, Peat bog, Oakmyst and Caves. In each zone I find others who need help and group up with them to help. If I see anyone killing things I need I invite also, that usually leads to us and any others that join doing pretty much all the quests in the Zone together.

Honestly, I think your experience is very isolated. There is plenty to do to get to level 10 in a short time if you so choose.

V for Viola

Odd how no one else can finish every single quest in the T1 areas around a city, after leaving the island and completing the quests there and doing the boat before, before hitting level 9. Did you have adventure XP disabled? Were you mentoring someone lower level? Were you intentionally only doing quests if the mobs were grey so no kill XP?

Soloing (or small grouping):

• The boat will take a character to level 2 before you complete the entire boat quest.
  • The Island, either side, without grinding any mobs outside of those required for the main quest line and maybe a few more that decide to try to kill your character for being in that area will bring you to at least level 4 but more likely 5 or 6, especially if you do most of the side quests and the 2 collections, too. You might even be able to get to 7 if you also do all the nameds and every side quest even the click and drop ones.
  • The racial quest from the mentor will get you most of the way through 1 level.
  • All the quests in Sunken City, Sprawl, Graveyard, Thieve's Way, and the Ruins on the Freeport side Or Peat Bog, Forest Ruins, Oakmyst Forest, The Down Below, and The Caves plus the quests from the city and 'burbs for those places not counting the quests in front of the city gates with the lower level (for the zone) mobs will take you past level 10 if you do them all for your side but you might need to move between them at different level ranges if the current main quest line gets tough.
If you intentionally skipped the boat and the island, yes, it might get a bit harder to get to level 10 on JUST the quests from your city side. If you have adventure XP disabled, you will definitely have a harder time getting to level 10. If you go out of your way to only engage orange and red mobs and die a lot because of that, you might have a harder time getting to level 10. Otherwise, I just cannot fathom how you managed to have a difficult time leveling 7 to 10.
I don’t know what to tell you. I did the boat, did the island, had 90 quests done at level 9, never mentored or turned of exp or anything of that nature.

Sixgauge

I agree level 7-10 is a lot lengthier than it was originally, not sure how this is even a controversial observation triggering 5 pages to argue about. It was very common to solo until level 12 before joining your first group in WC or BB. People need to be able to solo through tier 1 as we originally did, because populations dwindle and eventually it will be very difficult to find level 8 groups. It is also uneven between Freeport and Qeynos, Antonica has low level heroic mobs that level a group quickly, Commonlands has only solo mobs that take forever to grind in a group setting. The difficulty and quest rewards between The Ruins and The Caves is far from equal as well.

If you need a group to do the quests then they should be heroic quests with heroic mobs giving group xp. People acting like making tier 1 easier to solo through is going to ruin the game.... get real.

Last edited:

Peccavi

i love this game too, but the first few levels has really bad pacing, and even on the good side, its hard to find a group. I finally gave up but im about to try again. The mobs hit way harder than i remember, even at lower lvls. with 2 and 3 down arrows. it doesnt make sense. I want to group but everyone just does their own thing. Its like people still want to play wow in EQ, and you cant.

Sogapa

First of all, I didn't have any issue getting to 12....I did a couple of groups and I still have gray/green/blue quests in my journal from the neighborhood zones. However, when I started in 2005, discovery xp was a thing. It seems odd to me they would have removed it. The disco xp alone would smooth out some of the rough patches for those trying to solo their way rather than getting groups.

Frankly, there's not much I would change, but I was disappointed that we did not have the original Isle of Refuge. I would have loved to see the class quests restored and return to starting as the archetype, then class, then subclass. It would have been great. That also would have smoothed out the leveling somewhat. I would like to see the return of discovery xp and I'd love to get rid of fizzles. Back in 2005/6, I generally played healer/dirge and I don't recall it being an issue, but with a mage, the fizzles seem constant.

Life

I really can't remember if disco xp was there or not, I'm inclined to think it was, but in theory if disco xp doesn't come back until after they put in AA then really they are doing us a favor by not giving us disco now.

Rijacki

I really can't remember if disco xp was there or not, I'm inclined to think it was, but in theory if disco xp doesn't come back until after they put in AA then really they are doing us a favor by not giving us disco now.
The reason given for no disco XP is related more to the lag it creates as part of the data that has to be checked each time a character zones or does anything. https://forums.everquest2.com/index.php?threads/theres-no-discovery-xp-anywhere.1427/