Ice Comet - Damage

enotirab

Ice Comet used to be the signature spell for wizards. Comparing Ice Comet to Apocalypse on warlocks, the two spells share the same reuse and cast timer and previously shared the same role in casting damage patterns. These days, Ice Comet does approximately 1/5th of the damage that Apocalypse does. It is appropriate to increase the damage of Ice Comet by 400% and return the spell to its former role.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the 1/5th DMG was with enhance ice comet turned on. .. but Just a question would this take into account future increases to the epic 3 buff that affects ice comet. It would almost double dip an increase.
It's definitely a warranted increase just to be careful it wouldn't explode with the next epic 3 upgrade as appoc isn't affected by the warlocks epic 3 and it's set to increase only per set spell/level increase.

enotirab

I'm assuming the 1/5th DMG was with enhance ice comet turned on. .. but Just a question would this take into account future increases to the epic 3 buff that affects ice comet. It would almost double dip an increase.
It's definitely a warranted increase just to be careful it wouldn't explode with the next epic 3 upgrade as appoc isn't affected by the warlocks epic 3 and it's set to increase only per set spell/level increase.
Yes. In both cases, damage numbers were measured with both epics active and all AAs selected that could influence the damage of either spell. Character stats were as close as possible, coming from the same character (I betrayed for testing). The warlock epic still affects apoc, just to a lesser degree, but I see your point.

The goal of this particular suggestion is to help shift wizard damage patterns to be more focused on direct damage spells and spikes rather than sustained dots. There are lots of other ways to accomplish the same goal, of course.

Nabu

veteran infrequent poster
The point is still that even on similar geared and buffed wiz/lock there is still an imbalance on some key spells and damage drivers. There is no way it will ever be fully balanced but on some key spells, Ice Comet, Let it Burn and Fusion, maybe the tweaks and damage multipliers bring them into a useful rotation that hits hard enough to be viable.