Flying TLE

gem62

A TLE server with flying enabled from the beginning would be cool don't you think?
After the announcement of the Origins server, ignore this post:)

Last edited:

SeaJae

Nope.
We've had leaping from day 1 and it trivializes so many things. Flying would be even worse.
Agreed, but at the same time there isn't anything wrong with trivializing old content from the start of the game. I'm not crazy about flying in general but leaping around the start of the game would sure be nice for TLE 6. I'm neutral on leaping/flying but if we were to get it from the start, I wouldn't hate it.

Choot

Loved having leaping on day 1 of Fallen Gate. Biggest detriment to me jumping into a new TLE is the slow run speed. Makes it feel so grindy. And yes I know that is how EQ2 was back in the day (even more grindy) but TLEs have short life spans. Giving us some time savings while leaving content hard (maybe even tweak it to be harder) would be great.

MightyMeaghan

Agreed, but at the same time there isn't anything wrong with trivializing old content from the start of the game. I'm not crazy about flying in general but leaping around the start of the game would sure be nice for TLE 6. I'm neutral on leaping/flying but if we were to get it from the start, I wouldn't hate it.
You realize the old content is the whole point of the TLE server? So trivialize the whole server more than it already is?

Choot

Not understanding how leaping would trivialize the whole server? Please explain. As I understand it, it would just speed up travel times. Or is there some combat mechanic that makes fights easier from a jump mount that I am missing out on? I would love to have my flappy-eared bunny from the get go. Ogre and bunny are just meant for each other.

Bekkr

Loved having leaping on day 1 of Fallen Gate. Biggest detriment to me jumping into a new TLE is the slow run speed. Makes it feel so grindy. And yes I know that is how EQ2 was back in the day (even more grindy) but TLEs have short life spans. Giving us some time savings while leaving content hard (maybe even tweak it to be harder) would be great.
Have you tried live servers? It sounds like you would really enjoy them.

Nuhvohk

Assuming their goal is to restore stat mechanics as well as gating content, I would hope they make different mounts have different run speeds again. The cheaper horses would be the slow ones, and if you wanted good run speed you had to drop 40p or more at the mount merchant. Not sure how it would work if they keep in the Cash Shop mounts (maybe make them at the lowest run speed, basically only for appearance). Would also put another plat sink into the game to slow inflation (something that's a real problem on TLEs)

Arandar

Leaping was EOF not day1

Leaping was definitely not something available when EoF was released. It didn't exist until after Velious, 5+ years later. From what I recall, many of the older zones wouldn't have been able to support it before the game was updated to allow flying. Things like mountains and hills that you can fly or leap to (or over) now didn't have collision back then; they didn't need to, because there was no way a player could normally get to them. You would have ended up having players fall through the world.

This came up in a discussion about the Origins server as well. It is extremely unlikely that server type will ever see anything but ground mounts.

Last edited:

Nuhvohk

Not understanding how leaping would trivialize the whole server? Please explain. As I understand it, it would just speed up travel times. Or is there some combat mechanic that makes fights easier from a jump mount that I am missing out on? I would love to have my flappy-eared bunny from the get go. Ogre and bunny are just meant for each other.
"trivialize the whole server" may be hyperbolic, but they do significantly impact how players interact with the overworld zones. Environmental barriers, enemy encounters, and fall damage can be entirely bypassed with them -- and all of those features are part of the "challenge" of progression in the lower level tiers. Having them be in as appearance mounts would be fine, I think, if all you care about is having a bunny without any of the potentially disruptive features of using a Leaper in vanilla.

Venser

Leaping was definitely not something available when EoF was released. It didn't exist until after Velious, 5+ years later. From what I recall, many of the older zones wouldn't have been able to support it before the game was updated to allow flying. Things like mountains and hills that you can fly or leap to (or over) now didn't have collision back then; they didn't need to, because there was no way a player could normally get to them. You would have ended up having players fall through the world.

This came up in a discussion about the Origins server as well. It is extremely unlikely that server type will ever see anything but ground mounts.
They're talking about when it was enabled via TLE servers.... FG had it day 1, other servers after had it in EoF onward.

Leaping trivializes quite a bit of early content by skipping mobs to updates, change camping positions to snipe updates, it significantly speeds up the leveling process which includes travel. Travel in lower tiers is supposed to be slow and boring because it almost forces you to do something with the foes ahead, not entirely, but for the most part being able to leap mountains in some areas just speeds up the processes set in place. As Nuhvohk points out it's not like it will effect the entire server, but it would make the lower tiers of gameplay just feel skippable. Which it did when we had it day 1 on Fallen Gate, it made things much quicker than intended. No thanks, and it ain't happenin anyway, so everyone for it can just dream on.