Feedback Darkpaw Wardens

Morieth

I am frustrated and annoyed right now. I have spent over an hour looking all over this dang zone, i just keep getting turned around and going in circles. When you make new zones why can't you include a basic map of the zone. As dev's shouldn't that be apart of your job. This has gotten to the point i can't enjoy the new content because i can't figure out where to go and its such a maze i can't progress.

Cusashorn

I am frustrated and annoyed right now. I have spent over an hour looking all over this dang zone, i just keep getting turned around and going in circles. When you make new zones why can't you include a basic map of the zone. As dev's shouldn't that be apart of your job. This has gotten to the point i can't enjoy the new content because i can't figure out where to go and its such a maze i can't progress.

This zone is the same layout as Splitpaw back in 2005, and the intention is for you to figure things out. There are guides out there already, but you still need to play the game to learn the zone layout until EQ2 maps gets updated by the playerbase that contributes to it.

Velenora

It's 2024, probably time for some basic maps to be out in the game huh, I agree this content is frustrating and annoying, will no doubt be totally forgotten next update much like rum cellar

Bydekm

80 dirge, relatively well geared on Varsoon. Trying the solo zone, about 6 hours in now. Zone is about three times longer than it needs to be. Mobs hit way too hard. Layout is confusing, mainly due to every room looking nearly the exact same. Named have too much health, randomly one shot with little to no warning or clue of how to stop it. This balance works for a shaman or a crusader, but classes without T1 dps or any type of self heal are useless. Gear drops are useless, on par with the solo named in Moors.

I had a root canal last week and it was more pleasant than this. One of the worst zones ever introduced in EQ2.

Pixistik

Don't like it? You're not alone!
I never cared for Splitpaw zones back when it was first released and still don't care for the zone layout, but having a blast running it on test. Still loaded up with pretty much senseless junk for drops but I haven't scrapped with the Gnolls in awhile so it breaks the monotony.
I appreciate it being released

Reverielle

Personally, I don't mind there isn't a map. It will take time to learn where all the twists and turns lead, but that's okay. Having to explore and figure things out for yourself rather than being handed them on a platter I think is at the very heart of good gaming. I like that the battles aren't boring; as a trio (42 Warden, 52 Paladin, 80 Wizard) we had to work our little butts off at times to stay alive, and I think that's great! Boring battles where it's over before it's begun aren't exciting nor make for memorable gameplay. We play on Varsoon, so unsure what it's like on live. I tried solo too and it was quite difficult, doable, but difficult - again I had to be very careful (I'm the warden). I do know that I would have absolutely zero chance in the Darkpaw Warren with my guardian however, and that's unfortunate. It shouldn't be this way. I think on balance it's overall too difficult and that will sap the enjoyment for many players.

It's clear the bosses all have some dance-step (mechanic) you have to fulfil or they wipe the floor with you. After trying (as a foursome; with Mystic) we weren't able to defeat any we came across, which was a shame, and disheartened some. We'll see how it goes over time, once we figure it out (or more likely, end up giving up and looking up a guide).

I think the drop rate for certain components that are required for crafting the unique Darkpaw items to be used in the Warren is a little low.

Bydekm

Also getting this message still every time I zone the next day, almost like the zone doesn't want me to forget the pain.

Attachments

• darkpaw.jpg
    darkpaw.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 10

vlada

It's clear the bosses all have some dance-step (mechanic) you have to fulfil or they wipe the floor with you. After trying (as a foursome; with Mystic) we weren't able to defeat any we came across, which was a shame, and disheartened some. We'll see how it goes over time, once we figure it out (or more likely, end up giving up and looking up a guide).
H.O. heroic opportunity Is the dance step you need

DENSER

80 dirge, relatively well geared on Varsoon. Trying the solo zone, about 6 hours in now. Zone is about three times longer than it needs to be. Mobs hit way too hard. Layout is confusing, mainly due to every room looking nearly the exact same. Named have too much health, randomly one shot with little to no warning or clue of how to stop it. This balance works for a shaman or a crusader, but classes without T1 dps or any type of self heal are useless. Gear drops are useless, on par with the solo named in Moors.

I had a root canal last week and it was more pleasant than this. One of the worst zones ever introduced in EQ2.
This.

I'm a necro on varsoon, and for a solo zone it’s very challenging. With another class it would surely be impossible, trash hits like heroics, names have a lot of hp.

Monotonous area, nothing new, same zone just bigger, In over 15 years the gnolls have not been able to improve their Habitat, apart from digging 3 or 4 more holes.

Last edited:

Chrol

Senior Designer
Staff member
Developer
Reduced solo health for the 80-89 range. Will need a new zone or respawn the mobs that are already in your current one to see the changes.

Also live now is an increased drop rate of Darkpaw gong mallet handles and heads and zygomyd truffles from mushroom mounds.

Bydekm

Names are still hitting far too hard. When you have a zone created for solo players, you need to take into account the less than ideal class balance that this game suffers from, unless you're telling us that this zone isn't made for classes at the ignored end of that spectrum.

T1 dps can just burn through the strategy. Healers can heal and deathsave through it. Tanks can mitigate and death prevent through it. Chanters can stun/stifle/daze lock through it. Even troubs have a leg up with a charm and a mezz.

Dirge fear and lifetaps don't nearly do enough. They're the most thankless, underpowered, and unfun class in the game and zones like this are a brutal reminder of it.