Battlegrounds on the new TLE server?

Saint Sora

Will battlegrounds be implemented on the new TLE server at any time? I'm not here to try to convince anyone either way, I just want to know if it is planned or is a possibility. For me after clearing all of the content for the xpac, there is nothing really to do without PvP and I wind up quitting/coming back for next xpac, or quitting until next TLE. Every TLE I spend less and less time playing as the game just isn't the same without PvP. I understand the history of PvP in this game and was there from the start. I know that there is not enough interest to ever foster a healthy PvP server and hasn't been for many years. I don't want PvP gear or anything special that would make PvErs upset... Just a few battlegrounds with some leaderboards and titles or cosmetic gear that can be earned would be awesome. Could just give us the old battlegrounds gear as cosmetic rewards and I'd be happy with it. Give us the old titles from PvP servers and I'd be happy with that. Just give us something to do when we're all bored out of our minds dueling in QH/EFP/SS docks.

Mesander

Will battlegrounds be implemented on the new TLE server at any time? I'm not here to try to convince anyone either way, I just want to know if it is planned or is a possibility. For me after clearing all of the content for the xpac, there is nothing really to do without PvP and I wind up quitting/coming back for next xpac, or quitting until next TLE. Every TLE I spend less and less time playing as the game just isn't the same without PvP. I understand the history of PvP in this game and was there from the start. I know that there is not enough interest to ever foster a healthy PvP server and hasn't been for many years. I don't want PvP gear or anything special that would make PvErs upset... Just a few battlegrounds with some leaderboards and titles or cosmetic gear that can be earned would be awesome. Could just give us the old battlegrounds gear as cosmetic rewards and I'd be happy with it. Give us the old titles from PvP servers and I'd be happy with that. Just give us something to do when we're all bored out of our minds dueling in QH/EFP/SS docks.
That would be cool. They were alot of fun back in the day but I know they were very problematic because they were a cross-server mechanic. Battlegrounds didn't get introduced until sometime betweek RoK and SF so we wouldn't see it until then and considering how its never been done on the previous TLEs I would say it won't happen. I think it got scrapped. They were a TON of fun though. Sigh...the good ole days.

Siren

In late '22 and into '23, Kander had mentioned on Discord about bringing back Battlegrounds. It never got officially put on the road map, though, and I haven't heard anything else about it since. Kander did say that they would have to be rebuilt from the ground up, though. There were some terrible bugs (like losing your character permanently while logging in or out of BGs), and some of the worst exploits in the game occurred via using BGs.

I suspect the most we can hope for with PvP is that, if Origins takes off and is successful over time, that the next PvP server to launch after Zarrakon will be an Origins PvP server. KoS through ROK was Nagafen's heyday after all; it would be a perfect fit. It's still too early to tell, but here's to hoping it happens at some point!

Saint Sora

Battlegrounds didn't even exist in 2006. It didn't come around until 2008 or so.
I believe it was 2010 or so, however, if battlegrounds were ever re-released in the manner of which I stated, the prior release date would be completely irrelevant as BGs would not affect anyone who did not wish to engage with the content. What I mean by that is there would be no PvP gear/rewards that people would feel the need to do in order to gain an advantage in PvE. It would be on another server entirely disconnected from everyone else's TLE experience, so if someone did not wish to engage with it, they wouldn't be affected by it's existence.

Edit: As Siren stated, I only mention it because it was brought up as a possibility not too long ago. I doubt it will come to fruition, but one can hope lol.

Cusashorn

I'm not against it coming back-- I just highly doubt it will be on a server that was intentionally envisioned to be a very specific period of 2006 where the class progression has been removed but the overland zones are still full of heroic content instead of being made solo friendly.

gem62

Will battlegrounds be implemented on the new TLE server at any time? I'm not here to try to convince anyone either way, I just want to know if it is planned or is a possibility. For me after clearing all of the content for the xpac, there is nothing really to do without PvP and I wind up quitting/coming back for next xpac, or quitting until next TLE. Every TLE I spend less and less time playing as the game just isn't the same without PvP. I understand the history of PvP in this game and was there from the start. I know that there is not enough interest to ever foster a healthy PvP server and hasn't been for many years. I don't want PvP gear or anything special that would make PvErs upset... Just a few battlegrounds with some leaderboards and titles or cosmetic gear that can be earned would be awesome. Could just give us the old battlegrounds gear as cosmetic rewards and I'd be happy with it. Give us the old titles from PvP servers and I'd be happy with that. Just give us something to do when we're all bored out of our minds dueling in QH/EFP/SS do
In late '22 and into '23, Kander had mentioned on Discord about bringing back Battlegrounds. It never got officially put on the road map, though, and I haven't heard anything else about it since. Kander did say that they would have to be rebuilt from the ground up, though. There were some terrible bugs (like losing your character permanently while logging in or out of BGs), and some of the worst exploits in the game occurred via using BGs.

I suspect the most we can hope for with PvP is that, if Origins takes off and is successful over time, that the next PvP server to launch after Zarrakon will be an Origins PvP server. KoS through ROK was Nagafen's heyday after all; it would be a perfect fit. It's still too early to tell, but here's to hoping it happens at some point!
Would love an Origins pvp server, I started playing eq2 back in 2006, my first MMO. Had a ball with pvp back then :)

GBlack

I'd rather have a full fledged pvp server starting from KoS. But I'd like to see if they won't crash and burn this one first. Gotta see how close this one will be to the original game.

Saint Sora

I'd rather have a full fledged pvp server starting from KoS. But I'd like to see if they won't crash and burn this one first. Gotta see how close this one will be to the original game.
I said this after the death of the Deathtoll server, and I don't ever seen it changing: There are not enough players left in this game who enjoy pvp enough to ever foster a healthy pvp server. Due to population issues, any attempt at a pvp server will always result in one side becoming dominant, and the majority of players flocking to that side, or quitting. This is especially true if they cannot complete any of their non-pvp goals (farming gear, leveling up, completing quests, etc) because of pvpers. Battlegrounds or a warzone like the New Tunaria warzone (an instance on a pve server separate from the rest of the game & dedicated to pvp) is the only way to have any sort of lasting pvp in this game. Most if not all pvpers started as pvers. Pvers are more likely to engage with pvp if it's on their terms, where they can choose when they want to pvp, and when they want to pve.

Venser

I believe it was 2010 or so, however, if battlegrounds were ever re-released in the manner of which I stated, the prior release date would be completely irrelevant as BGs would not affect anyone who did not wish to engage with the content. What I mean by that is there would be no PvP gear/rewards that people would feel the need to do in order to gain an advantage in PvE. It would be on another server entirely disconnected from everyone else's TLE experience, so if someone did not wish to engage with it, they wouldn't be affected by it's existence.

Edit: As Siren stated, I only mention it because it was brought up as a possibility not too long ago. I doubt it will come to fruition, but one can hope lol.
I think the point being missed here isn't that "anyone who did not wish to engage" would have that choice. it's the return on investment. Seeing how the PvP servers are great for all 64 people who play it, I don't see how investing time, money, and resources in a particular area as well as the current implementations being done makes any sense. The time being spent on multiple things as is, TLE, Live, Xpacks, TLE updates, "some" Zarrakon updates, is probably insurmountable as is for the small team. If they put effort into BGs with rebuilding an area that people can just "choose" to stay away from I don't see how investing time into it makes sense from a business standpoint. They're in business to make money after all. Zarrakon is there for those who choose to play it, and those who choose to not play it. If I were to place a bet on where I'd put resources based on player retention, it wouldn't be with ground up PvP development.