Suggestion AFK Mechanics

ZUES

One of the best things about another game I play is the ability to AFK fish, AFK level horses, AFK refine materials, AFK training dummy for XP and AFK running in circles to level up stamina (you run and swim faster). Now I know many players will be opposed to seeing this come into EQ2. But I believe it would bring in some revenue for Daybreak if it was included with the monthly subscription service. It's nice being productive while I work, sleep, etc. It also allows me to play two games at a time. I don't have to chose one or the other. This benefits both gaming companies.

Additionally I would love for us to get ships in this game and the ability to navigate the ocean. This could be tied to AFK fishing mechanics.

Sorry if you oppose this idea. But it's just my opinion on one potential way to increase daily player retention and cause for monthly subs (works in all of our favor if you ever want to see EQ3). What I'm suggesting is a premium service only.

GrunEQ

There are things to love and hate about AFK activities; I loved AFK fishing in Black Desert, but many did not. To me, the way you level mounts might as well be considered an AFK activity as you set it and it will work even off line to the next level.
Absolutely loved sailing ships in ArchAge, not so much in Dark Age of Camelot, and I don't think this game is really designed to manage it.
There needs to be some activities that engage the player and when you get too many AFK activities you might as well be playing on auto pilot.

Uwkete-of-Crushbone

The main reason why there's no recommended /afk stuff (you can still do things while /afk, but read on) is that quite some time ago, back in the game's younger days (it was cute way back then, but couldn't even drive, let alone vote, and definitely couldn't drink legally in California ;->), the Koreans (not sure which Korea, but South Korea was rich enough to give every household there [10 million?] free or subsidized T1 cable connections back when most of the US were still on dial-up, so probably them) were apparently launching all sorts of wicked, evil bot attacks left and right on online games. It's one of the reasons that they "cracked down" here on anyone doing anything whilst /afk, which could be annoying at the very least, with the theory being that if your actual butt wasn't in your actual seat, you were obviously a bot and would likely be permanently BANNED. It was never really the player base that was muchly opposed to it, I don't think, but the Powers Themselves. :-/

I don't think they still do that much of a "righteous smite" kind of thing any more (they did have a broader, more numerous customer base back then...), just penalize people when their character a) doesn't seem to be doing anything (getting booted out of game from a building one had to zone into; having a combat pet ignore you forever afterwards until you poke it properly, etc.), or... b) -- hmm; what do they do these days to people who have the unmitigated gall to go deliberately /afk while they're working on something where they don't want to be interrupted? A buddy/fellow guildie of mine (she and her hubby got me into EQ2 after I'd given up on EQ1), back when we were in the same guild, would often be power-leveling her main toon in crafting, doing Rush writs, and would be nattered at incessantly by the gabbier members of the guild. So she'd deliberately go /afk so as not to be bothered by /tells and whatnot, while she was actually moving and doing stuff! :eek:

I think she and her hubby had left the game for various Reasons before the draconian rules came down (or were enforced stringently), or she might've gotten banned for her temerity. :rolleyes:

Uwk

Last edited:

ZUES

I do view AFK mechanics as a way of controlling the bot software(s) by mitigating what's possible and what's not. It seems to appease the BDO crowd. Matter of fact I would say it accounts for 75% of all BDO player retention. I've only ever heard of two other bots (in eight years) in BDO. One fishing bot that played the fishing minigame for you (speeds up fishing rewards) and one combat bot.

BDO devs teams have taught the entire gaming industry a valuable lesson. And the timing was perfect.

It was very smart by the BDO dev team (and hopefully soon the Everquest 2 team) to include "cheat" software into the game because it allows them to control the outcome and result. Malicious third party software usage is becoming more popular due to AI script writers. There's more (I'm not going to lead anyone). But I'm trying to "suggest" something before it becomes uncontrollable and leads to thousands of potential bans (loss of money).

Build it now. Control it. Make money from it.

Amplify "Ogre" x1000 and that's the tidal wave that's coming. This is your prevention window of opportunity. Or maybe mitigation window of opportunity is more like it.

Last edited:

Uwkete-of-Crushbone

Yeah, I don't know what the hell the AI idiots were thinking a few years back; obviously it didn't seem to be the ramifications. X-P

"People who don't read science fiction are the DUMBEST people on the planet." --attributed to Philip Jose Farmer

Uwk

Sentrasia

Mount leveling is already an AFK mechanic.
Harvesting is also a semi afk mechanic (harvest ponies/house plants).
Xp farming in BoZ is a semi afk mechanic (4bil xp research baubles. One every 24 hours).

There's absolutely no need for AFK gameplay/mechanics in eq2 and I would hate to see it. It will also do absolutely nothing to hinder people botting at this point.

Randalph

EQ2Wire Ambassador
I am sitting here thinking if no one has played BoZ.. You know, the research tab? A huge chunk of the game is now a counter counting down that you interact with every 1 day 6 hours or once every week.

No more afk and passive progression please.

ZUES

Oh I thought he was referring to a different game. I have had BoZ since the day it became available for purchase. And no, there's no AFK mechanics included. The ridiculous amount of status is why I left the expansion. I have a couple 130's and 130 crafters. But that's nothing like what I'm talking about. Only people that have played BDO would understand. I promise you that some of the devs have played it too. I've seen the social media posts.

A big part of my suggestion stems from me being an official tester for AI companies. It's not random. It's a word of caution and a hope. It is also a personal preference. I'm a busy guy these days. And I would love to make both my main and my alts more powerful... relevant. Most of my alts are still level 100 and 100 crafting. It is tempting to use third party software to do that. But I will not.

Last edited:

Melkior

Oh I thought he was referring to a different game. I have had BoZ since the day it became available for purchase. And no, there's no AFK mechanics included. The ridiculous amount of status is why I left the expansion. I have a couple 130's and 130 crafters. But that's nothing like what I'm talking about. Only people that have played BDO would understand. I promise you that some of the devs have played it too. I've seen the social media posts.

A big part of my suggestion stems from me being an official tester for AI companies. It's not random. It's a word of caution and a hope. It is also a personal preference. I'm a busy guy these days. And I would love to make both my main and my alts more powerful... relevant. Most of my alts are still level 100 and 100 crafting. It is tempting to use third party software to do that. But I will not.
I think the point is things like research and merc/mount training is a type of an AFK mechanic. You start it, and it advances regardless as to whether you are present. It increases the merc/mount buffs available to you, so it increases your power while AFK. I realize you are looking for something different, but the parent premise is similar.

I for one, think your gameplay should be the means through which you advance your character. I'd lose interest personally if more AFK mechanics are introduced, and probably have incentive to leave. But that is my personal preference as well. Bottom line for the devs will be which is more beneficial. To incentivize not playing through AFK mechanics, or to incentivize playing and making that experience the best it can be.

If I wanted BDO mechanics, I'd be playing that game. I don't, and therefore am not. So in my selfish self-interest, I hope they don't go this way. But I also may be in the minority.

ZUES

I think the point is things like research and merc/mount training is a type of an AFK mechanic. You start it, and it advances regardless as to whether you are present. It increases the merc/mount buffs available to you, so it increases your power while AFK. I realize you are looking for something different, but the parent premise is similar.

I for one, think your gameplay should be the means through which you advance your character. I'd lose interest personally if more AFK mechanics are introduced, and probably have incentive to leave. But that is my personal preference as well. Bottom line for the devs will be which is more beneficial. To incentivize not playing through AFK mechanics, or to incentivize playing and making that experience the best it can be.

If I wanted BDO mechanics, I'd be playing that game. I don't, and therefore am not. So in my selfish self-interest, I hope they don't go this way. But I also may be in the minority.
Fair enough. Thank you for leaving good feedback.