Mitigation curves should be adjusted

Satyr

Mitigation curves out as follows. Blue = current, orange = proposed

g03D02k.png

Problem

The mitigation curve starts too high. This renders armor differences less meaningful since a player in full leather (at about 350 unbuffed) will have comparable mitigation to someone in full plate. Temporary buffs from fighter classes, particularly bruisers and guardians, will hit the point of diminishing returns and provide next to no additional physical mitigation against an equal level opponent.

Proposed Fix

Steepen the curve and start the curve at 0. This makes armor class far more meaningful than it is currently.

Satyr

Previous TLEs have had mitigation and resist scaling that haven't been meaningful. It would be nice for the way mitigation that worked to go back to being meaningful like it was in this era.
Yeah resist scaling is similar and starts from 27%ish. Would be good for it to curve similarly.

Zenji

May want to wait until 50 and check in game/ACT for mit scaling and not just rely on the character window. (which is not giving accurate information for several things right now)

Maergoth

In practice that's not really how it works, and it's too early to tell. These curves change aggressively, and they're designed for at-level comparisons.

Historically speaking, a brawler has always taken similar damage and had significantly better avoidance versus a plate tank in white heroics, and broken even at yellow.

For orange mobs however, the mit curve shifts and opens up a lot more mitigation overhead. This is where plate tanks shine, because suddenly the brawler who was at 369 mit (58.3%) versus the plate tank's 410(59.1%) is now at 154 mit (48.6%) versus the plate tank's 287 (56.9%), using your examples. And it's VERY possible that the curve slides even further than that against orange mobs, all the way up to "27%" and "48%" respectively. Technically YOUR mit doesn't change, just the mob's interaction with your mit, but it maths out the same.

That's a massive difference in damage reduction, and it's assuming that the plate tank only has 10% more mit score than the brawler, which they won't. They'll have 20-30% more. Especially with mit temps.

Happy to argue about mitigation mechanics but that's functionally how it works, even if it's not literally how it works. I also have no idea if your numbers are correct. If you're just going off the character sheet, they're likely not correct.

Last edited:

Maergoth

Previous TLEs have had mitigation and resist scaling that haven't been meaningful. It would be nice for the way mitigation that worked to go back to being meaningful like it was in this era.
This is not true, by the way. Mitigation is extremely powerful on previous TLEs. The *percentage gains* from armor are what was undertuned. 3% more mitigation can't compete with 5% more HP. Raw mitigation, however, had plenty of overhead. You could notice a 15-20% incoming damage difference while under the effects of a signet of stout spirit versus orange mobs.

Bustin

May want to wait until 50 and check in game/ACT for mit scaling and not just rely on the character window. (which is not giving accurate information for several things right now)

Have they updated the beta to include past level 32?

"Adventure and Tradeskill Leveling for this Beta will be on a schedule. May 2nd through May 15th of the Beta will allow for adventure and tradeskill leveling to level 12, May 16th through May 22nd will go to level 22, and the remaining time will see the cap at level 32. Beta will end on June 13, 2024."

It'd be nice to see actual gains in mitigation too from the tiers of loot. Legendary armor used to be a big step up from Mastercrafted which was a huge upgrade from treasured/handcrafted, and Fabled was another big leap from Legendary. #BringBackProgression

Last edited:

Llopod

idk man, when a mage with 100 mit can take just as well as my 267 mit warden only having like 4% less damage mitigation even though there's a 167 point difference ... sounds like stuff aint curving right.

TrentFromPunchy

This is not true, by the way. Mitigation is extremely powerful on previous TLEs. The *percentage gains* from armor are what was undertuned. 3% more mitigation can't compete with 5% more HP. Raw mitigation, however, had plenty of overhead. You could notice a 15-20% incoming damage difference while under the effects of a signet of stout spirit versus orange mobs.

I didn't say mit didn't do anything. I said that the scaling hasn't been meaningful. Popping giga temporary mit from a stout signet before you get meaningful scaling is exactly what im talking about. You shouldn't have to use big temp buffs for mitigation to actually be noticeable.

There used to be a difference between cloth and plate, and treasured and legendary gear. Mitigation scaling has been changed since classic era. It looks like they are currently using the same formula as tles/live, which is not accurate to the era. This is what everyone is talking about.

You are always negative towards any changes you don't personally suggest yourself. Your ego is so fragile that you didn't even properly read anything before you rushed to disagree. Perhaps Satyr should have suggested we keep scaling with it's current live values? That might have got you telling us it isn't correct.

Llopod

Trent is bringing up a solid point. legit on every post that someone says something in that has to point out it should "be like the other TLP/E's or LIVE" you instantly go that's no in era // that's not classic. but this is the 1 thing you want to complain about when there should be a huge disparity between plate and cloth etc. does someone not wanna have to make sure they get good mit gear on their toons to take a hit when the tank goes down? T~T classic is meant to be classic and it was hard back then not the easy roll face on keyboard situation we have now. vote for Satyr make Norrath great again!

if you don't want proper mit scaling / resist scaling go play on varsoon.

Maergoth

I didn't say mit didn't do anything. I said that the scaling hasn't been meaningful. Popping giga temporary mit from a stout signet before you get meaningful scaling is exactly what im talking about. You shouldn't have to use big temp buffs for mitigation to actually be noticeable.

There used to be a difference between cloth and plate, and treasured and legendary gear. Mitigation scaling has been changed since classic era. It looks like they are currently using the same formula as tles/live, which is not accurate to the era. This is what everyone is talking about.

You are always negative towards any changes you don't personally suggest yourself. Your ego is so fragile that you didn't even properly read anything before you rushed to disagree. Perhaps Satyr should have suggested we keep scaling with it's current live values? That might have got you telling us it isn't correct.
Trent is bringing up a solid point. legit on every post that someone says something in that has to point out it should "be like the other TLP/E's or LIVE" you instantly go that's no in era // that's not classic. but this is the 1 thing you want to complain about when there should be a huge disparity between plate and cloth etc. does someone not wanna have to make sure they get good mit gear on their toons to take a hit when the tank goes down? T~T classic is meant to be classic and it was hard back then not the easy roll face on keyboard situation we have now. vote for Satyr make Norrath great again!

if you don't want proper mit scaling / resist scaling go play on varsoon.
No, there is no solid evidence that the mit curve is not classic.
Yes, investigate it anyway. Nobody is saying otherwise. If it isn't, they should make it classic.

The suggestion being made is to change it to something OP thinks is better, not to change it to what is classic.
That's why it's not in the "bug reports" forum, presumably.

If you don't think mit is noticeable with the current Origin curves, okay! But the mit scaling in the tooltip is likely not accurate, and the philosophy behind the suggestion is wildly inaccurate. It is impactful on other servers, however, and most passive stats aren't individually noticeable.

Which part of mitigation do you believe is different? The values on gear, or the curve of the tooltip percentages? Just to be totally clear. It sounds like the curve, but you've used the tooltip to map the curve. Do you have any combat data?

Last edited:

Satyr

This server is a live implementation with in-era databases like crafting. The tooltips are presenting mitigation percentages that are exactly like live.

There is no reason to test combat data because there is no evidence changes were made on this implementation to mitigation. Happy for you to rebut this with evidence.

There was meaningful scaling of mitigation in vanilla. Data obviously doesn't exist from this time, but an adjustment based on achieving the same objective is a completely reasonable proposal.

Satyr

Fundamental mechanics are unlikely to be changed post-release based on past experience and sensible change management. The time to address this is during a beta noting that the mitigation curve is comparable to live.

Meaningful mechanical changes to primary stats and things like resists, skill scaling, avoidance etc are what will differentiate this server from live based TLE implementations.

TrentFromPunchy

No, there is no solid evidence that the mit curve is not classic.
Yes, investigate it anyway. Nobody is saying otherwise. If it isn't, they should make it classic.

The suggestion being made is to change it to something OP thinks is better, not to change it to what is classic.
That's why it's not in the "bug reports" forum, presumably.

If you don't think mit is noticeable with the current Origin curves, okay! But the mit scaling in the tooltip is likely not accurate, and the philosophy behind the suggestion is wildly inaccurate. It is impactful on other servers, however, and most passive stats aren't individually noticeable.

Which part of mitigation do you believe is different? The values on gear, or the curve of the tooltip percentages? Just to be totally clear. It sounds like the curve, but you've used the tooltip to map the curve. Do you have any combat data?

My wizard in 2006 didn't have 40% mit in cloth mate. The way mitigation works on the beta is clearly not the same as it was in 2006. There's nothing wildly inaccurate about that. Writing in bold doesn't make you correct.

You ask for evidence but Satyr provided some. If the tooltips aren't accurate that's fine, one of the devs can confirm. But right now the evidence we have is that mitigation isn't close to the way it was in 2006.

Again, you're honestly being deliberately obtuse here. Mitigation on origins is clearly the same as it is on live, are you suggesting they haven't changed mitigation mechanics for 18 years?

People on these forums are making suggestions to return to 2006 mechanics. As Llopod says, if you don't want to play with the mechanics of 2006, perhaps you could play Varsoon or live.

Maergoth

My wizard in 2006 didn't have 40% mit in cloth mate. The way mitigation works on the beta is clearly not the same as it was in 2006. There's nothing wildly inaccurate about that. Writing in bold doesn't make you correct.

You ask for evidence but Satyr provided some. If the tooltips aren't accurate that's fine, one of the devs can confirm. But right now the evidence we have is that mitigation isn't close to the way it was in 2006.

Again, you're honestly being deliberately obtuse here. Mitigation on origins is clearly the same as it is on live, are you suggesting they haven't changed mitigation mechanics for 18 years?

People on these forums are making suggestions to return to 2006 mechanics. As Llopod says, if you don't want to play with the mechanics of 2006, perhaps you could play Varsoon or live.
Nobody is opposed to them investigating. The post is suggesting changes that aren't classic, and I'm suggesting that while it is being investigated, OP should consider that they could be very wrong about their findings. And not just because the tooltips are obviously wrong on everything else.

Here's a question for you:

First, tell me how much mit a cloth wearer has versus a plate wearer, in classic and on Origins.

How much more damage should a classic cloth wearer take than a plate wearer on a yellow mob?
And then tell me: How much more damage is a cloth wearer taking on origins than a plate wearer versus a yellow mob?

10% more damage? 30% more damage? 50% more damage? Pick some numbers and we can test it together!

Last edited:

Maergoth

In the mean time, I did some cool testing. This is ~50-100 hits for each mit set, with one or two exceptions that still provided accurate information. These examples reference max hit because the mobs do have a max hit. Average hit will change with sample size, but once max hit is identified you can stop the tests. These tests do not imply that there aren't further advantages to one mit or another with regard to average hits, but the data is there if you want to analyze that. They simply imply that the percentage change to the max hit is still a valid metric for assessing the curve, as it has always been.

I tiered myself 5 different mit values:

683 for Plate
482 for Chain
(midpoint between chain and cloth for leather)
278 for Cloth (don't forget, their avoidance is SIGNIFICANTLY worse as well)
78 for.. Starter gear
and then 0 to measure base damage

First, I confirmed the tooltips are accurate. Unfortunately, I confirmed that they are accurate for both white and yellow mobs, which is not correct. More on that later.

image.png

Second, I confirmed that even with the tooltips being accurate, there is a substantial difference in incoming damage between "Plate mitigation" and
"Leather Mitigation", though substantial is subjective. I urge anyone reading to consider the impact of a 10% damage difference in an HP tug-o-war scenario in the same way you might consider gaining 10% dps when you're trying to keep up with waves of swarm adds. In practice, it can have a substantial impact. As is evident by how I could self-sustain 5x longer on some of these pulls by only gaining 20% more damage reduction.

Leather users take ~10% more damage per hit than a plate user.
Cloth users take 17% more per hit than a plate user.
Newb gear users take 53.8% more damage than a plate user.
0 mit takes 167% more damage than a plate user.

image.png

Where things get funky is against orange mobs.
I ran a test against a pack of 5 rats for another 1000 or so swings and 50 deaths, but my paint crashed and I don't feel like rebuilding it from imported logs. It DID show that the disparity between plate and leather was higher by 1% than this (~13% more damage taken for leather) but that could have been within the margin of error.

The problem is, not only wasn't the mitigation percent significantly LOWER versus the tooltip, but I was actually mitigation MORE damage than the tooltip versus a level 12 mob.

This is very not right.

Given that the DR against the yellow were damn near identical to the tooltip (which should technically have ALSO been overconned downward, since they're not level 12), I would expect that a difference between the tooltip and reality versus an orange mob goes beyond a sample size or statistical anomaly. I thought maybe it was just those specific orange mobs, since it was a heroic pack of solos, so I went and did some more testing.

I got the same results from the second test: 64.27% damage reduction in plate versus an orange 15 heroic. Tooltip says it should be 62% damage reduction versus an even con. While technically speaking, that is within the margin of error if the target was identical to the tooltip, the expectation is a measured mitigation value substantially lower than the tooltip.

image.png

Here's some additional context from mid-2006

image.png

image.png

SO, the mitigation curve itself should still be looked at. Whether it is or isn't accurate to the era or balanced is debatable and can hopefully be confirmed pretty easily. That hasn't changed. It should be made as close to classic as possible, which we have been agreeing on this entire time.
We're also very low level and we will grow into this curve to some extent. For example, by level 30, our tooltip mitigation percentage on plate tanks was mid 50's in 2005. It's well above 60 right now, so no good way to know if gear quality will start scaling us back as we level.

Here are some good sources for old mit values and caps:
MITReturns.jpg

(This is the max level mit curve, but in theory, it should shift proportionally leftward, unless they destroyed the curve with the mit revamp before KoS I may be remembering)

I agree, there is a good chance the mit curve is likely not functioning well at low levels, either because it's not accurate to 2006, or because 2006 made it work poorly at the very low end, or because we simply haven't grown into it yet. Caith can probably answer that.

However, if all mobs are being treated as even cons (or worse, blue cons), the commentary about orange mobs shifting the mitigation curve is inapplicable, because that entire mechanic is not functioning. This isn't an opinion, this is a bug as far as the eye can see. It also explains why it feels so easy to kill orange and even red mobs at level 12 for some reason.

I still believe that once orange mobs return to shifting the mit curve, the OP's concern about the plate/leather damage reduction disparity will evaporate. Completely separate bug, but still good to unearth, so thanks for the impetus. Hopefully it draws some attention to this one as well.

Last edited: